• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2015-April-02, 05:19

View PostStevenG, on 2015-April-02, 03:08, said:

Is your response structure different from what it would be if you guarantee 5 cards?

Nope

Please note: My preferred opening style is based on 4 card majors with a major's first opening style and we aggressively raise to 2M with three card support and raise to the three level with 4 card support. I get lots of practice playing Moysians and the like.

More significantly, if you are a perfectly "Law abiding" partnership, this leaks a lot of information to the opponents.
If you are known to have an 8 card spade fit, balancing in 3m is a lot safer.
The knife cuts both ways.
Alderaan delenda est

#22 User is offline   StevenG 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-April-02, 05:46

I'm uncomfortable with the idea that these methods should be recommended in the N/B forum. Sure, with experienced players, but N/Bs need solid methods that don't lead to too many unplayable contracts.

#23 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-02, 05:55

View PostLiversidge, on 2015-April-01, 11:47, said:

My partner and I have recently signed up to LoTT and bidding to the level of our fit. It takes a bit of nerve to raise partner's 1 overcall to 3 with four card support and a bust, but we are getting used to it. Overcalling with a 4 card suit might well work on this hand but night well spook partner on future hands so he won't know whether to trust me.

I think you nailed it.

Just wanted to add that the problem is not so much partner raising to the 3-level with 4-card support. The problem comes when LHO raises to 3 or 4 and partner bids 3 or 4 with 3-card support.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#24 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-02, 08:50

DBL>1>Pass

In another recent topic Wank said "clear dbl" for the same hand type. Now Richard says "obvious" for the 1. I think they both are making overstatements as Art said. They both have merits and downsides. To me dbl is better but i would not mind 1
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#25 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2015-April-02, 09:43

View Poststraube, on 2015-April-01, 17:00, said:

Found this from Lawrence's first book on overcalls. Page 10. After an 1H opening, dealt this...

KJ87
AK
Q6432

"Pass is probably best. With no reason to expect a fit, it is too dangerous to attempt any action.
If you must bid something I suppose 1S is best, but I don't care for it..."

I think Lawrence's hand example hand was at NV vs V. The OP hand has better spades but is all red.

There's plenty of hands in his book where he advocates overcalling on a 4 card suit! However, the suit should be better than KJ87. Here we have AKJ2 which is a fine suit for a 4 card o/c at the 1 level. We also have 15 hcp rather than 13 so passing is running more of a risk of missing something. Q9xxx really isn't an adequate suit for a 2 level o/c.

When we double we run the risk of PD hurting us with a bid. For me, I have a clear preference that I am telling the least lie to PD by bidding 1 now rather than double.

#26 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-April-02, 13:06

3 Jacks and a Queen not exactly a nice 15, I'll pass. Maybe opp will bid such that I can do a takeout X later or partner bids if not i'll defend.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users