BBO Discussion Forums: Of course partner has your void suit - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Of course partner has your void suit

#1 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-March-31, 02:02

1.) Do you agree with 1NT forcing? If not, what would you have bid?
2.) Now what do you do?

"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#2 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-March-31, 02:36

1) 1NT forcing is great.

2) 3NT is the only reasonable choice.

Although 3NT could be completely hopeless, it could also be cold for 9 tricks. Partner is still allowed to convert back to 4S if he thinks that will be safer.

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-March-31, 03:46

1N forcing is fine in a 2/1 context which I assume is where you are (having just been playing one of my rare precision outings with a forcing 1N, I wouldn't do it there)

I can't see any way of avoiding 3N, but it could be silly.

#4 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-31, 05:50

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-March-31, 03:46, said:

1N forcing is fine in a 2/1 context which I assume is where you are (having just been playing one of my rare precision outings with a forcing 1N, I wouldn't do it there)

playing precision means you should go off in 1 spade rather than make 7h or 7c?

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-March-31, 07:41

View Postwank, on 2015-March-31, 05:50, said:

playing precision means you should go off in 1 spade rather than make 7h or 7c?

No but 2/1 not GF in our version of precision so I can do that

#6 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-31, 08:48

3NT

Partners range of hands is enormous and only they can decide where the contract belongs. You would have strongly considered 4s with a stiff honor so when you bid 3n p should realize the most they can expect in support is x. There is no getting around the fact that your partner has invited game and you are totally at the top even if hobbled by spade void. Choose 3n and see what happens and who knows where you will end up but don't pass it is far too unilateral.

Oh 1n forcing is by far the best way to go at 2/1

#7 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-March-31, 08:54

I agree with 1N. 5-6 hands can be very powerful, but the prospects of a serious misfit and the lack of any aces, plus the poor quality of the 6 card suit all argue for the 1N, and I think it not to be close.

Now we have good news and bad news. We have to bid, and we can't go beyond 3N, unless we want to raise spades. There can be auctions and hands on which one raises with a void, but I don't see this as one of them.

I would bid 3N even at mps, where on some layouts the winning call will be to pass.

Btw, this situation of 1 1N 3 is a good situation in which to have some agreement as to the constraints of the 3 rebid. In two of my stronger partnerships we have (had in one case) the agreement that 3 promises good internal texture. We would never do it, for example, with AQxxxx. The downside is that in order to accomplish that we play our 2 rebid by opener as 2+ (which is fairly common in NA) and that we could hold 6 spades and 16-17 hcp, if our spades have poor texture.

The main benefit is that responder can readily raise 3 to 4 even with a stiff rather than risk a borderline 3N.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#8 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2015-March-31, 08:56

WTP 1NTF and WTP 3NT !! Very obvious to me.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users