• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Another change of played card Law 45

#21 User is offline   Lanor Fow 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-April-02, 03:04

If i make a mistake of picking up my beer, thinking that the person to the right is going to take a while to think, and then they play a card. I could, instead of waiting till i put my drink down to play a card, name the card I intend to play. Play can then continue, and I will play the card I named when i have a hand free.

If i have designated the wrong card (rather than changing my mind afterwards), this would then fall under inadvertent designation.

This situation is unusual, most people in most situations where they do not have a hand free will free one up and play a card, rather than designate one. It is, however, common to designate cards from dummy, so cards inadvertent designation when calling cards from dummy is by far the most likely application of this law.

#22 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-April-02, 04:17

A more common reason than having full hands is that you've just dropped the card on the floor and want to save time while you find it again.

#23 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-02, 08:06

View Postcampboy, on 2015-April-02, 04:17, said:

A more common reason than having full hands is that you've just dropped the card on the floor and want to save time while you find it again.

But who has seen this more than once or twice in their life? It might be best if the OP came away with the idea that a designated card is always a card in dummy, rather than being confused about the rare rare rare time that another hand designates a card.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#24 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-02, 09:21

View PostVampyr, on 2015-April-02, 08:06, said:

But who has seen this more than once or twice in their life? It might be best if the OP came away with the idea that a designated card is always a card in dummy, rather than being confused about the rare rare rare time that another hand designates a card.

I have never experienced a card designated other than by declarer naming a card from dummy.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#25 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2015-April-02, 09:43

View Postlamford, on 2015-April-02, 09:21, said:

I have never experienced a card designated other than by declarer naming a card from dummy.

Well, I (for one) have.
And the laws cater for the possibility without introducing any ambiguity or problem regardless of whether it has occurred or not.

So, does anybody really have any problem with this?

#26 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-April-02, 09:50

View Postpran, on 2015-April-02, 09:43, said:

Well, I (for one) have.
And the laws cater for the possibility without introducing any ambiguity or problem regardless of whether it has occurred or not.

So, does anybody really have any problem with this?

It might be better if they just said that declarer designating a card from his own hand doesn't have any import.

In the case of defenders, there are UI implications of naming his cards. But there's no one for declarer to give UI to, so his designations should just be ignored. But I guess they went for consistency here to keep it simple.

#27 User is offline   UdcaDenny 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-02, 22:40

I just got a message from the Committee of my club where they aggreed with TD that you can take back a played card even if LHO already have discarded. Must say Im dissappointed as I had hoped they would state that a played card is always a played card if its put on the table without being dropped. So now I have mailed a few persons in WBL to have this problem solved.

#28 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-April-03, 00:41

View PostUdcaDenny, on 2015-April-02, 22:40, said:

I just got a message from the Committee of my club where they aggreed with TD that you can take back a played card even if LHO already have discarded. Must say Im dissappointed as I had hoped they would state that a played card is always a played card if its put on the table without being dropped. So now I have mailed a few persons in WBL to have this problem solved.

Do the committee have access to a Lawbook? Perhaps you can tell them it is available online.

Of course this club cannot be affiliated with the NBO if they choose to play this homegrown bridge variant.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#29 User is offline   UdcaDenny 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-03, 10:15

View PostVampyr, on 2015-April-03, 00:41, said:

Do the committee have access to a Lawbook? Perhaps you can tell them it is available online.

Of course this club cannot be affiliated with the NBO if they choose to play this homegrown bridge variant.

I have mailed Ton Kooyman, Maurizio di Sacco and Laurie Kelso all Chief Tournament Directors for WBF and they all say
a played card cannot be changed. The answer from my club is that we follow the rules from ACBL and not WBF. Can it really
be true that they interpret the law different ?

#30 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-April-03, 10:22

View PostVampyr, on 2015-April-03, 00:41, said:

AFAIK, ACBL has no rule that clubs have to follow the Laws to get a sanction. I think their main requirement is that the club pays its sanction fees.

#31 User is offline   chrism 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-03, 10:31

View PostUdcaDenny, on 2015-April-03, 10:15, said:

I have mailed Ton Kooyman, Maurizio di Sacco and Laurie Kelso all Chief Tournament Directors for WBF and they all say
a played card cannot be changed. The answer from my club is that we follow the rules from ACBL and not WBF. Can it really

No. The ACBL may have many idiosyncrasies, but they certainly do not promulgate this particular contravention of the Laws of bridge. I would guess that if you present evidence supporting your case from any of rulings@acbl.org, the ACBL bulletin, or any senior ACBL director (all of whom will confirm that a played card is indeed played), your club will tell you that they meant the Antarctic Contract Bridge League. For what it is worth, I am an ACBL (America, not Antarctic) TD with experience directing events at all levels up to and including National, and I am happy to confirm that your club administration is (to put it as politely as I can) obstinately and obstructively wrong, based on the facts that you present.

#32 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2015-April-03, 11:56

View Postlamford, on 2015-April-02, 09:21, said:

I have on occasion designated a card from my own hand, for both of the reasons given by Lanor Fow and Campboy.

Another situation is when a disabled player can't play the cards for himself, so he has someone else playing his cards on his instructions.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#33 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-03, 12:06

No, they aren't interpreting it differently. They are ignoring it outright. Or, looked at another way, making up their own laws for their own club. This is their choice of course, but I would prefer they just be honest about it.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#34 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-03, 13:06

I think the "they" to whom denny is referring is the ACBL, not the club. As chris says, club management is "obstinately and obstructively wrong".
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#35 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2015-April-03, 15:48

There is no way I can imagine ACBL to have an understanding of the relevant laws here different from that of the WBF.

But I am fully prepared to recognize that ignorant persons at the club in question believe they have the correct understanding.

If anybody feels for it I suggest that they file a report with ACBL describing the matter and suggesting that the Club has all their masterpoints assignments suspended until they improve their understanding of the laws. :D :P

#36 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-April-03, 15:55

View Postbarmar, on 2015-April-03, 10:22, said:

AFAIK, ACBL has no rule that clubs have to follow the Laws to get a sanction. I think their main requirement is that the club pays its sanction fees.

I sent an email to the ACBL's Club Department asking for comment on this. They sent me this, from chapter 4 of the "ACBL Handbook of Rules and Regulations":

SECTION ONE: ACBL CLUB MASTERPOINT GAME SANCTION
An ACBL club sanction grants the right to an entity to conduct bridge games at regularly scheduled times and locations and award masterpoints at those games in accordance with specific ACBL rules and regulations.
There are approximately 3,200 clubs that conduct ACBL sanctioned games. Some operate only a monthly game, while others operate as many as 21 games a week. Altogether, over 3 million tables of sanctioned games in clubs are played annually throughout ACBL territory.
Games must be conducted in accordance with both the letter and the spirit of ACBL regulations as well as the Laws of Duplicate Bridge. The success or failure of games conducted by a club is the responsibility of the club manager. The club manager is free to operate the club as he or she sees fit, as long as the operation of ACBL sanctioned games falls within the limits prescribed by ACBL.

I have bolded the pertinent bit. Perhaps it will help denny deal with his club.

Of course, whether the ACBL would actually do anything to a club that doesn't follow the laws is another question.

Note: my correspondent didn't say anything about the allegation in Barry's second sentence. :P

I would note, for denny and his club management, that the Law 45C4{b} in the ACBL's version of the law book is identical to the one in the WBF version.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#37 User is offline   UdcaDenny 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-03, 20:02

View Postpran, on 2015-April-03, 15:48, said:

There is no way I can imagine ACBL to have an understanding of the relevant laws here different from that of the WBF.

But I am fully prepared to recognize that ignorant persons at the club in question believe they have the correct understanding.

If anybody feels for it I suggest that they file a report with ACBL describing the matter and suggesting that the Club has all their masterpoints assignments suspended until they improve their understanding of the laws. :D :P

Im really thankful for all feedback and support which I hoped shud make the TD in my club change his thinking but he only got angry and answering: "It is worthless discussing these matters with you since you don't listen or read what is written. Please do NOT send me any more messages about this---I am tired of wasting time." Unfortunatly some people can never admit they are wrong and the Committee of the club feel the authoroty so I guess I have to live with it.

#38 User is offline   UdcaDenny 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-04, 08:01

To clarify more here are the parts of the Law that TD quote to justify his action. First he calls the play an Inadvertent Designation (Law 47C) and that refers to Law 45C4(b)
Compulsory Play of Card. He means that a designated card is the same as a played card. So his ruling stems from mixing those words.

Law 47. Retraction of card played
47C. To Change an Inadvertent Designation
A played card may be withdrawn and returned to the hand without further rectification after a change of designation permitted by Law 45.C.4(b).
Law 45. Card Played
C. Compulsory Play of Card
4(b) Until his partner has played a card a player may change an unintended designation if he does so without pause for thought. If an opponent has, in turn, played a card that was legal before the change in designation, that opponent may withdraw the card so played, return it to his hand, and substitute another.
Comment: John's misplay was the result of a "mechanical error," (as in "What the hell is this card doing on the table") not an error in thought or judgement. Therefore, Law 47 would appear to apply here.

Here is what Laurie Kelso, Chief Tournamen Director for WBF kindly answers me in a mail:

Hello Denny
I gather from what you have written that Declarer mis-pulled a card from their own hand. If so, then this qualifies as a 'played card'. Unfortunately (at least for declarer) there is no law that permits a card played from Declarer's hand to be withdrawn (unless there has been a prior infraction by an opponent). I would guess that the director has misunderstood the meaning of Law 45C4(b). This law does allow for the change of an 'unintended designation', however the card in question was not designated - instead it was physically removed from hand and placed upon the table (i.e. played). The word 'designation' usually refers to the naming of a card or very occasionally a player might point to a card, wishing it to be played. As such Law 45C4(b) applies almost exclusively to misspoken specifications of cards faced upon the table in Dummy. Cards accidently played from any of the other three (non-dummy) hands cannot be withdrawn.
Regards
Laurie

#39 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-April-04, 09:32

Denny, you've reached the point of preaching to the choir, I think. Clearly your director is suffering from a severe case of cranial-rectumitis, and it seems unlikely that he'll ever admit he's wrong, though all of us here agree he is.

That said, tell him to read 45A, 45C2, and 45C4{a}. Also tell him to look up "designate" in a decent dictionary.

I think we've given you all the help we can on this. Good luck.
--------------------

#40 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-April-05, 15:52

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-April-03, 15:55, said:

Of course, whether the ACBL would actually do anything to a club that doesn't follow the laws is another question.

Yes. A policy that only exists on paper is worth as much as the paper it's written on.

I don't think I've ever heard of a club being censured or losing its sanction because they don't follow the letter of the Laws. I'll bet there are hundreds of clubs that prohibit psyches, for example.

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users