BBO Discussion Forums: Is there any way to do this legally - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is there any way to do this legally Illusory UI

#1 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-March-30, 12:09

Say I want to psyche a conventional bid to understate my values, because I think it will enable me to better describe my hand on the next round.

Partner will alert my bid, opps will ask and it will look like I've been woken up by the UI.

Is there anything I can do to protect myself - normal F2F bridge with no screens.

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-March-30, 12:12

If you think that this auction will allow you to better describe certain hands, why not include it in the convention?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-March-30, 12:14

View PostVampyr, on 2015-March-30, 12:12, said:

If you think that this auction will allow you to better describe certain hands, why not include it in the convention?

Because it was on the fly with somebody I almost never play with

#4 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-30, 12:48

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-March-30, 12:09, said:

Is there anything I can do to protect myself - normal F2F bridge with no screens.

Yes - don't do it :)
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#5 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2015-March-30, 12:49

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-March-30, 12:09, said:

Pick your oppo or TD!

If you told me "I knew what I was doing when I bid <whatever>, I knew what the agreement was, as partner correctly explained, my bid was a psyche" - I would probably believe you.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#6 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2015-March-30, 13:00

Pick up your score card and pretend to write a score but write down that you are deliberately opening asystemically.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#7 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-March-30, 13:01

View PostRMB1, on 2015-March-30, 12:49, said:

Pick your oppo or TD!

If you told me "I knew what I was doing when I bid <whatever>, I knew what the agreement was, as partner correctly explained, my bid was a psyche" - I would probably believe you.

Is that because it's me and you know I do that sort of thing ? because it seems an obvious way to cheat.

The hand in question was something like x, A10x, 109xx, AKxxx and the auction started red v green 1(precision)-(1S)- I had no fit jump available and was prepared to bet I was going to get 4 on my left, I felt I was better off after a 3 mixed raise as either a) partner would bid 5 on his own and I would bid 6 or b) partner would pass and I'd bid 5. I thought it was more difficult to disentangle if I bid the technically correct 2.

#8 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-March-30, 13:02

View PostCascade, on 2015-March-30, 13:00, said:

Pick up your score card and pretend to write a score but write down that you are deliberately opening asystemically.

That's what I'd like to do, but wasn't sure if legal.

#9 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2015-March-30, 13:27

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-March-30, 13:02, said:

It might not be. Partner can see what you are doing, and that might be illegal communication if you have ever done it before.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#10 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-March-30, 13:27

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-March-30, 13:02, said:

I don't think it is.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#11 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2015-March-30, 14:12

Which law does it break, if you do it in such a way that partner can't tell you're doing it?

Of course, it might not be very useful, because the TD might not give it any weight.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#12 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-March-30, 14:43

View Postgnasher, on 2015-March-30, 14:12, said:

Which law does it break, if you do it in such a way that partner can't tell you're doing it?

Which, the writing or the bid?

#13 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2015-March-30, 16:48

View PostVampyr, on 2015-March-30, 14:43, said:

Which, the writing or the bid?

Whichever one you think is illegal.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#14 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-March-30, 17:46

View Postgnasher, on 2015-March-30, 16:48, said:

Whichever one you think is illegal.

Well, the bid is not Illegal, but since it will appear that the OP was woken up by partner's explanation the OP will be ruled against.

As for the writing, it is irregular and can be considered a form of communication.

#15 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-30, 20:56

View PostVampyr, on 2015-March-30, 17:46, said:

As for the writing, it is irregular and can be considered a form of communication.

So is picking your nose (or coughing ;) ).

The fact that something can be considered a form of communication neither means that it will be considered a form of communication nor that it is a form of communication*.

Rik

* And by "communication" we mean "illegal communication with partner". Writing such s statement for the TD on your score card is obviously communication with the TD, but communicating with the TD is not illegal.
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#16 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2015-March-30, 21:04

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-March-30, 20:56, said:

So is picking your nose (or coughing ;) ).

The fact that something can be considered a form of communication neither means that it will be considered a form of communication nor that it is a form of communication*.

Rik

* And by "communication" we mean "illegal communication with partner". Writing such s statement for the TD on your score card is obviously communication with the TD, but communicating with the TD is not illegal.

The fact that you are writing communicates to partner (no screens) that you are memorializing something. The fact that you are doing so at that moment communicates that you are noting something about the auction.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#17 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-30, 21:50

View Postaguahombre, on 2015-March-30, 21:04, said:

The fact that you are writing communicates to partner (no screens) that you are memorializing something. The fact that you are doing so at that moment communicates that you are noting something about the auction.

Or that it suddenly occurred to you that you want to "memorialize" something about the previous hand, or write down something you need to remember to pick up for dinner.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#18 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-March-30, 21:54

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-March-30, 21:50, said:

Or that it suddenly occurred to you that you want to "memorialize" something about the previous hand, or write down something you need to remember to pick up for dinner.

OK, but how often does it happen? Seldom enough, I think, that writing during an auction can reasonably be assumed to be writing about the auction.

#19 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2015-March-31, 01:46

View PostVampyr, on 2015-March-30, 17:46, said:

Well, the bid is not Illegal, but since it will appear that the OP was woken up by partner's explanation the OP will be ruled against.

An irregularity is not, in general, illegal.

Communication with partner by writing on your scorecard is illegal. If, however, Cyberyeti finds a way to follow his procedure without such communication, his actions are legal.

#20 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-March-31, 11:06

While partner may notice that you're doing something unusual by writing during the auction, is he really likely to be able to guess why you're doing it? If he can't figure out what it's about, would it "demonstrably suggest" anything in particular to partner?

However, I don't think this kind of prepared explanation is generally considered a legitimate process. For instance, I think people have in the past proposed something like this as a way of proving "I was always going to bid X" when you sense that you may get into a hesitation situation, but I've never heard of it actually being used.

The only place I ever saw it actually suggested as a real feature of the game was in the book "Bridge at the Enigma Club", but that was a fantasy.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users