BBO Discussion Forums: Is this sequence forcing or not...? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is this sequence forcing or not...?

#21 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-April-02, 04:48

View Posthelene_t, on 2015-March-30, 11:14, said:

Well the OP system was just described as "five card majors" so anything is possible. In Vienna it is nf. But I am not aware of any reasonably modern 5cM system in which 2H is nf.

View PostVampyr, on 2015-March-30, 11:20, said:

It is in Acol with 5-card majors

:lol: :blink: :lol:

Playing a standard 5 card major system I would pass the OP hand. I am all for light openings in general but this hand is frankly just garbage and worth nowhere near the face value of 12hcp. Having opened it, the only reasonable rebid is 2, planning to bid 3 on the next round if that is still possible. That said, the OP is from Ireland so some Acol-based system is not impossible and we should probably find out a little more before belabouring this point.

In any case, many Acol books have suggested playing this sequence as forcing and I would never pass it playing with a pick up partner even in the Acol rooms. Passing it playing SA(YC) would be foolhardy.

It would also not surprise me to find that the issue that (presumably) came up on this hand relates back as much to Responder as to Opener. Again, we need to wait to find out what actually happened before passing comment on that.
(-: Zel :-)

#22 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-April-02, 06:08

It's quite common in 5cM, non-2/1 systems to go via 2x if you have a 3-card limit raise (with a direct raise guaranteeing 4), isn't it? So unless you decide to automatically upgrade to a GF based on the double fit, 1H-2D; 3D-3H could just be responder showing a 3-card limit raise, and hence NF.

There's also the question of form of scoring. At teams, barring any of the above "it's just a limit raise" considerations 3H should be forcing as responder could have passed 3D. But at pairs responder might think 3H and 3D both make 9 tricks (or even ten in 3D) and wants to play in the major for extra points.

As for 1H-2D; 2H - we play this as NF (only a change of suit forces a rebid from partner). This allows us to not get into a no-play 2NT when opener has an 11-count with a good 6cM and responder a semi-balanced 10. Indeed I find this works quite well as playing a 2NT rebid by responder as 10-12 (as in traditional Acol) can often lead to a right headache for opener.

Given that 2H on 8xxxx is the only rebid available after 1H-2D, I too would be tempted to pass the OP hand.

ahydra

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users