Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Accidental doubles/passes Buttons too close / only requires 1 click

#1 User is offline   guinnypoo 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-March-28, 19:30

I frequently play on my Android as I find it very convenient. One major issue I frequently run into is doubling when I mean to pass, and passing when I mean to double. On phones, the buttons are small and located right next to each other, I have big fingers, and I often miss pass and hit double instead. This is not an issue with suit/notrump bids as you have to click twice for those, once to choose the level and another for the denomination. The fact that you need 2 clicks prevents almost all accidental bids.

It would be fantastic if there was a similar thing for pass, double, redouble. It could require just a simple double click, or you click once and it opens a little dialog asking you to confirm, or maybe put the 3 'assorted' bids in a little submenu so you click once for the submenu and once for the particular option. It would be totally fine if this were just an option that can be enabled/disabled. It would help people like me a lot with making sure they're bidding what they intend to.

A simpler solution might be to just move the buttons. If pass and double weren't right next to each other, the issue would be minimized. You still might pass sometimes when you don't mean to, but at least you wouldn't pass when you mean to double and vice versa.

Another totally random request that I'm tacking on: As far as I can tell, on android, once you open the "alert/explain" box by clicking on a bid, there's no easy way to get rid of it. On PC you push escape I believe to make it go away but there is no option to do so on phone. When I do do this, I have to write in the box "no alert - accidental button press" which I think is bad and awkward for everyone.

Thanks,
Steve

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-March-28, 20:18

There's a "Confirm Bids" option in the Settings window. It's not specific to Pass/Double, though, so you'll need 3 clicks for regular bids.

Have you tried tapping outside the Explain popup to get rid of it? I'm not sure if it will work.

#3 User is offline   guinnypoo 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-March-28, 22:37

View Postbarmar, on 2015-March-28, 20:18, said:

There's a "Confirm Bids" option in the Settings window. It's not specific to Pass/Double, though, so you'll need 3 clicks for regular bids.

Have you tried tapping outside the Explain popup to get rid of it? I'm not sure if it will work.

Thanks for that info about confirm bids. It's a little inconvenient for suit bids - would be nice if it was just for pass/double, but will definitely serve my needs.

Tapping outside of most popups gets rid of them, but doesn't seem to for alert. Just tried and clicked on a bunch of spots on the screen and nothing worked (I could just be missing it, as for example the profile box if you click in the play field it does not get rid of it, but in the info and chat area it does). If you enter an empty chat string, it makes it go away, but I think it's highlighted yellow for everyone while the box is open?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users