• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

wide range of raise

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-March-28, 15:14

MP, Instant, ver 32

Possibly I should move over 3C anyway, but it occurs to me that North has two possible cue bids of opponents' suits below the 3C raise, in light of which I think that 8-13 total points is rather too wide for the 3C raise.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-28, 16:34

ya south could make another move but also it looks like more than 13 total pts for north.

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-March-29, 01:40

If North has only 8TP then moving seems like quite a risk
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-March-29, 07:15

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-March-29, 01:40, said:

If North has only 8TP then moving seems like quite a risk
Worst case scenario is you're at the 4 level with 8 + 16 = 24 total points in a 6+3 fit. "Quite a risk" seems an overstatement.

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-March-29, 08:52

24 HCP and a fit gives you good prospects for 10 tricks (still no certainty, mind). 24 Total points I tend to the view is normally rather weaker overall.

In neither case is the contract assured.

But we can agree to differ or not on the absolute prospects; I think that you may be measuring the wrong parameter. It is not the absolute risk that is important so much as whether such risk as exists is avoidable and unnecessary. An added problem is that the wider the range of the 3C bid, the wider also the range of a raise of 4C to 5C (with associated error margin).

Are you saying that you agree with the 3C range?

#6 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-March-29, 10:13

No, I agree that North should cuebid with 12 total points, rather than needing 14. But given the description of 3 as it exists, South can venture an invite.

#7 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-29, 10:45

After double,I think Gib N should cuebid 2 to show limited raise,indeed.
So 3 is not good bidding without full description.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users