• You cannot reply to this topic

Jacoby vs Splinter

#41 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-July-28, 04:58

View Postmikeh, on 2015-July-22, 11:29, said:

You say that, as you understand them, there is little reason why one should focus on suit quality...even Hxxxx should be enough since opener is almost as likely to hold AQx when responder has Kxxxx as he is to hold Axx when responder holds KQxxx. I disagree with you on that, just on frequency grounds, but that is not the main reason for arguing that the 2 response, when one has a legitimate choice between various options (here, splinter, 2H, and J2N) should be based on a good suit (which I would define for these purposes as a 2/3 top honours or better, 5 cards or longer...the OP suit is absolute minimum...see a more recent thread where I advocated a 2 response with a 5530 with Kxxxx in spades and KQJxx in diamonds).

While we would like to find partner with the Ace, on many layouts Jx or Jxx will suffice, and even xx is ok if he has good controls in the minors.

Another flaw in your understanding is your apparent belief that those who bid 2 do so because they intend to splinter later, and that an inconvenient rebid by opener (basically anything other than 2) renders that impossible.

I would cheerfully splinter over 2, and would consider that to be a near-perfect description of my hand, but I am not choosing 2 simply because I hope to be able to splinter. I hope, and expect, to be able to convey a lot of useful information over most of the more probable bids by partner.

Sure. This is kinda my point, that if you have a lot of system and fairly careful agreements it will be right to bid 2H a lot of the time. In fact, the way that I play I am almost guaranteed to be able to show both 5 hearts and the diamond singleton, so I would do that. My point is that this is a fairly marginal decision that depends a lot on your other system. I have played system in the past that made it necessary to splinter on this hand, because 1S-2H in 2/1 is quite a difficult and overloaded auction and I looked to gain definition on some of those other hands. I didn't find it a problem.

As others have pointed out I am not PhilG. I used to be quite active here a few years ago but then I got busy. the TLDR of my bridge is that I play open team bridge for Scotland, which is pretty bad at bridge really as nations go. So its good that I get lots of top tier exposure, but gets a bit tiring losing all the time. I am also not that good at expressing myself in post, and often come across as more critical and confrontational than I intend. We used to argue a lot on these boards a few years ago. I am sure that we will again. ;)
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#42 User is online   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-July-28, 07:17

View Postphil_20686, on 2015-July-28, 04:58, said:

I am also not that good at expressing myself in post, and often come across as more critical and confrontational than I intend.

Been there, done that, and still do :D
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#43 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2015-July-28, 10:45

View Postmikeh, on 2015-March-27, 09:36, said:

While I don't like J2N on this hand, I do think it better than the splinter for the reasons I explained in my earlier post.

I don't like the description of J2N as masterminding.

My point is that if one cannot bid 2, then either choice of forcing raise is poor. We are too strong, especially in playing strength should partner hold the Heart A, to splinter, and we are going to be stuck over partner's most common forward-going action should we splinter. We may have similar, but different, problems with choices after his response to J2N, but that doesn't make the J2N course 'masterminding'.

There are auctions on which one can validly describe someone's choice as 'masterminding', but that unfortunate term should be used to actions that distort the auction in a manner that misleads partner or deprives him of any meaningful ability to participate intelligently. While both J2N and splinter can create problems, neither is a huge distortion, and both permit partner to participate if their hands warrant.

Totally concur with this post - imperative to show the heart source of tricks.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#44 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-July-28, 11:02

About splintering after partner's 2 rebid -- unless you are playing 2/1GF you will be more or less forced to do,this, or the auction will get very messy.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#45 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2015-July-29, 00:12

View PostVampyr, on 2015-July-28, 11:02, said:

About splintering after partner's 2 rebid -- unless you are playing 2/1GF you will be more or less forced to do,this, or the auction will get very messy.

"unless?" If playing 2/1 G.F., a next-round splinter is even better if our hand is quite limited.... which it is in the OP. We get to show our side source, show our Spade Support, show our stiff Diamond, and also show we have a minimum game force.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#46 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-July-29, 04:08

View Postaguahombre, on 2015-July-29, 00:12, said:

"unless?" If playing 2/1 G.F., a next-round splinter is even better if our hand is quite limited.... which it is in the OP. We get to show our side source, show our Spade Support, show our stiff Diamond, and also show we have a minimum game force.

Well, whatever. Playing 2/1GF you can splinter or do something else if you prefer. The point is that playing ordinary 2/1, there is no spade bid that is forcing. Also by bidding 2 and then splintering, you might have and suitable for a first-round splinter which just happens to have five hearts; you have not established that you have a high-card raise to game.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#47 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-29, 07:31

View Postphil_20686, on 2015-July-28, 04:58, said:

As others have pointed out I am not PhilG.

I can corroborate this. I've known phil_20686 in person, and he's a genius sane a superb bridge player winsome and inspiring Irish probably not PhilG :P
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users