Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Weak 2s; Ogust

#1 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-March-26, 09:20

We play weak 2s including diamonds and we play Ogust. I got into trouble a couple of times last night when partner opened 2 diamonds and I had a 17hcp and then 19hcp and a decent 5cm. On both occasions 3NT went off and 4H/S made. Of course I we can come to a partnership agreement e.g. . . . "if I jump to 3H/S over your 2D if you have support for that suit go to 4 else go to 3NT". Is that it or is there a better way to find a fit?

#2 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-March-26, 09:33

Responding 2M over a 2 opening is usually played as forcing. No need for a jump here.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#3 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-26, 09:35

One of the most common agreements about weak 2s is "RONF": Raise is the Only Non-Forcing bid.

If you play that style (which I would recommend), then you can bid your 5-card major at the 2-level; partner will raise with 3 or high-honour doubleton (Kx usually); and you will find your right spot. If she doesn't have support she will do something intelligent (usually go back to 3 of her suit), and you can go from there; the one thing she will *not* do is pass (so you can do this with your 19-high game forcing hands)!

What a jump to the 3-level means is partnership-specific; usually one of "ask about controls in this suit" (don't worry about that unless you have a serious practising partnership) or "partner, we're playing in this suit even opposite a void - show me where your cards lie", or some sort of raise of partner's suit.

Note: I assume if you are playing Ogust, you are playing reasonably undisciplined weak 2s; there's a place for 2NT in a RONF system as well - but that's where you're either looking for game in partner's weak 2 major with an invitational-type hand (say 13, 14 with a mild fit), or looking for 3NT, and hoping you can run partner's suit (did you open with AJTxxx this time, or is your usual QT8xxx)? It won't help you find game in any suit other than partner's opening; which is why you "have to" be able to bid the suit, and have it be forcing.

Note: this process does lose when you have 6 or 7 of your own suit, a bad hand, and a void in partner's suit. That really doesn't happen as often as you would fear.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#4 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2015-March-26, 09:56

Zelandakh, on 2015-March-26, 09:33, said:

Responding 2M over a 2 opening is usually played as forcing. No need for a jump here.

Yes, just play RONF as I do and have for 30 years.

#5 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-26, 10:34

mycroft, on 2015-March-26, 09:35, said:

Note: this process does lose when you have 6 or 7 of your own suit, a bad hand, and a void in partner's suit. That really doesn't happen as often as you would fear.

In general, whatever the system, if partner has shown a long suit it is usually not a good idea to go "rescuing" him/her just because you don't like their suit (unless you have limited your hand already and therefore it is unequivocally not forcing - and even then it should be done sparingly).
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#6 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-March-26, 12:56

neilkaz, on 2015-March-26, 09:56, said:

Yes, just play RONF as I do and have for 30 years.

Around here it has become increasingly popular to play that in some situations (eg first and third non-vulnerable) to play a new suit as constructive and NF. I am not sure about this approach; what do others think?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#7 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-March-27, 09:06

Thanks for the helpful replies.

I've looked RONF which seems simple enough up and although the NF is a bit confusing as it seems that in most of the stuff I've read it is forcing.

When I posted this question I expected to be told that someone had come up with a convention or some form of cue bid asking the appropriate question but perhaps not?

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-March-27, 09:09

Vampyr, on 2015-March-26, 12:56, said:

Around here it has become increasingly popular to play that in some situations (eg first and third non-vulnerable) to play a new suit as constructive and NF. I am not sure about this approach; what do others think?

The wider the range on the weak 2, the better it is to play it constructive NF IMO.

RONF is at least simple "Only a raise is non forcing, all other bids that aren't game are forcing".

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users