Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The joys of directing

#1 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-March-26, 05:45

I include this more as an anecdote than anything else, but this is one I wouldn't have enjoyed trying to sort out, I was South. 4 decent players (in a Norfolk context) in irregular partnerships, my regular partner was E, I was playing precision for about the second time in 10 years, W regularly plays Fantunes with somebody else, E was playing it for the first time ever I think and had been shown W's regular Fantunes CC which they had on the table. Regs are EBU.

1 wasn't alerted, on the convention card (which nobody looked at till the end of the auction), it says they bid their 3rd best suit, but W didn't think E had read that bit as this would have been the first strong club anybody had played at this club for years.

3 went -1 when the trumps failed to break.

I (S) contended that with a correct alert, I wouldn't have bid 3 as I'd have wanted to keep spades as a possible contract with partner's diamond holding potentially getting smaller as his spade holding got bigger, and also with the possibility of a big misfit for EW P is in the picture, but any of P/X/2 would have been in the frame.

What does N do if S doubles ? I guess most of the time he bids 2.

If you evaluate 2 by W (doubled or not), how many tricks do you think it makes ? I'm guessing the A is led, do you then find Ax ?

The scoring is actually Butler pairs, so I guess in practice (I know this is theoretically not the right way to do it) you just give NS something like +100 to cover the mixture of +140/+110/+100/-110/-140 (I'd probably ignore the very small bits of +200/-670/-870) as the precise number is not very important, but consider the (weighted) MP adjustment. There was actually no adjustment made as we were second a long way behind first and opps were nowhere, with the playing director knowing that before he came to rule after the event.

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-March-26, 11:09

For the purposes of alerting, I think West should assume East has read and remembered everything on the CC, so he should alert the 2 bid. Alerts and explanations should provide at least as much information as the opponents reading your system card. I suppose West was trying to be ethical, by not alerting because he doubted the written agreement existed in practice (i.e. he assumed there was an implicit understanding that the CC is wrong). But since this assumption turned out to be wrong, and a correct alert would been both lawful and prevent damage, an adjustment is appropriate.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users