Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

which signal with Qxx in dummy?

#1 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-March-25, 22:39

Partner leads K from AK holding. Suit contract and Qxx in dummy. Do you generally show an even number with 2 or 4? Or only show even with 2...discouraging with 3 or more?

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-25, 22:42

Is your primary signal on partner's opening lead attitude or count? Or "You figure it out, partner"?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-25, 23:24

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-March-25, 22:42, said:

Is your primary signal on partner's opening lead attitude or count? Or "You figure it out, partner"?

I guess my question would then be "Is it a better agreement to give attitude or count in this situation". I have a preference but pd has a
different preference and I'd like to see what is standard or what is better.

#4 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-25, 23:39

Generally attitude but obviously depends on the situation.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#5 User is offline   trevahound 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-March-26, 00:49

View Poststraube, on 2015-March-25, 22:39, said:

Partner leads K from AK holding. Suit contract and Qxx in dummy. Do you generally show an even number with 2 or 4? Or only show even with 2...discouraging with 3 or more?

We give what we consider count here, unless there's a strong reason not to, and we only show even (or encouragement) with two, and treat four as odd/discouragement. So, it's count as in 2 or fewer, or more than 2, not as in odd or even numbers. I bet you could call it attitude instead of count, and say we only encourage with 2 or fewer. You say tomato, I say parsnip.
"I suggest a chapter on "strongest dummy opposite my free bids." For example, someone might wonder how I once put this hand down as dummy in a spade contract: AQ10xxx void AKQxx KQ. Did I start with Michaels? Did I cuebid until partner was forced to pick one of my suits? No, I was just playing with Brian (6S made when the trump king dropped singleton)." David Wright

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-26, 07:06

I think positive with 2 and negative with 4 unless it is clear that you cannot hold a doubleton or there are other indicators to the hand that suggest giving a different signal.
(-: Zel :-)

#7 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-March-26, 08:06

Count unless partner can't figure out 2 vs 4. Since we are looking for a ruff W 2 I suppose you can call this attitude If it suits you.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#8 User is offline   foobar 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-March-26, 10:11

My inclination would be count. In the Vanderbilt, there were some pairs (including Meckwell IIRC), who give standard count at T1 in this specific situation.

We can leave such sophistication to the pros, but IMO, it isn't worth spending too much cycles thinking about hands that can be set only by a 2 vs. 4 count that must be determined at T1.

#9 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-26, 11:41

View Postfoobar, on 2015-March-26, 10:11, said:

My inclination would be count. In the Vanderbilt, there were some pairs (including Meckwell IIRC), who give standard count at T1 in this specific situation.

We can leave such sophistication to the pros, but IMO, it isn't worth spending too much cycles thinking about hands that can be set only by a 2 vs. 4 count that must be determined at T1.

I can see the advantage for attitude. It helps leader infer he can cash and give partner a ruff. The cost is that sometimes (when partner has 3 for instance and the method won't distinguish 3 from 4) he won't know that his other honor isn't cashing (where he might with count signals) and decides to wait for the suit to be lead from a different hand. This cost seems small to me because cashing, even safely, will let the Q set up. Is there a better argument for count?

#10 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-March-26, 12:49

View Postfoobar, on 2015-March-26, 10:11, said:

but IMO, it isn't worth spending too much cycles thinking about hands that can be set only by a 2 vs. 4 count that must be determined at T1.

This happens kind of a lot. It is not a problem if, as mentioned here numerous times, you correctly give count with 2 but not with 4.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#11 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-26, 13:01

The other reason for giving count is that this might be your only chance to give count in that suit, and 4 tricks later, after trump have been drawn and a count signal made in the third suit, knowing count in the first suit would allow inferring count in the fourth suit, which could be crucial information at that point.

I can't consistently make such an inference, so maybe this consideration should be left to the pros.

#12 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-March-27, 07:27

Count with 2, attitude otherwise. Unless you consider "high low with a doubleton" an attitude signal.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#13 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-March-27, 07:34

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-March-27, 07:27, said:

Count with 2, attitude otherwise. Unless you consider "high low with a doubleton" an attitude signal.

This would be fun to play using standard count and reverse attitude. :huh:

#14 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-March-27, 17:37

I'm sure we can come up with all kinds of combinations that don't make sense. Should we bother?
--------------------

#15 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-March-27, 22:00

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-March-27, 07:34, said:

This would be fun to play using standard count and reverse attitude. :huh:

VERY VERY popular method in London and probably all of England.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#16 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-March-28, 06:19

View PostVampyr, on 2015-March-27, 22:00, said:

VERY VERY popular method in London and probably all of England.

I think you missed the point. B-) With a doubleton you give a standard count signal - high. Without a doubleton you give reverse attitude signal, which most of the time will be negative - also high. The method itself is perfectly playable, just silly in the constellation of the post to which I was replying.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users