#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-March-24, 15:29

4H is splinter

thanks

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-24, 15:36

It's time to wheel out the most dreaded modern slam gadget - psychic exclusion RKCB.

#3 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-24, 16:32

View PostPhilKing, on 2015-March-24, 15:36, said:

It's time to wheel out the most dreaded modern slam gadget - psychic exclusion RKCB.

There are hands where it's right, but you really won't know if partner has Qxxxx, x, KQx, KQxx where you can only make 6 whatever they lead or the same with Axxx where 7 is solid.

Edit: missed partner was a passed hand, a very good 7 is now extremely unlikely, xxxxx, x, KQx, Axxx type being about it, 5 small spades being almost mandatory.

#4 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-24, 16:35

Yup. 2nd best imo is just to blast 6. Partner has some tickets in the minors (we don't splinter on stiff A or K) and anything else like a cue or 1430 response to rkc cinches a club lead.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#5 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-24, 16:56

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-March-24, 16:32, said:

There are hands where it's right, but you really won't know if partner has Qxxxx, x, KQx, KQxx where you can only make 6 whatever they lead or the same with Axxx where 7 is solid.

Very little is certain on this hand, and the chances of a genius auction to seven are slim. A cue bid of 5 will guarantee the most difficult opening lead (perhaps an underlead of the club ace).

The point is that once you realise there is more to gain by punting that science, all that is left is to maximise the chance of making 6, and we can do that by stopping the club lead. Against MikeH I will bid something else, of course, but I am not saying what ... B-)

#6 User is online   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-March-24, 17:21

View PostPhilKing, on 2015-March-24, 16:56, said:

Very little is certain on this hand, and the chances of a genius auction to seven are slim. A cue bid of 5 will guarantee the most difficult opening lead (perhaps an underlead of the club ace).

The point is that once you realise there is more to gain by punting that science, all that is left is to maximise the chance of making 6, and we can do that by stopping the club lead. Against MikeH I will bid something else, of course, but I am not saying what ... B-)

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

that's what I like!
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#7 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-March-24, 17:34

View PostPhilKing, on 2015-March-24, 16:56, said:

I was just going to normal Blackwood assuming we're not off AK and not tell opps about the minors, I might get lucky and find out what I need to know to bid 7, the only disadvantage is that they may be able to X partner's Blackwood response.

#8 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-25, 09:11

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-March-24, 17:34, said:

I was just going to normal Blackwood assuming we're not off AK and not tell opps about the minors, I might get lucky and find out what I need to know to bid 7, the only disadvantage is that they may be able to X partner's Blackwood response.

Agree, but change your Blackwood responses so that teller with none bids 5, and 5 is one. Why keep the bidding low when you have nothing to contribute - fast arrival.

#9 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-March-25, 13:14

Phil, I struggle to see how this would work - given how often you suggest psyching exclusion surely it would have to be explained as "exclusion but often psyched" and then rather than stopping the club lead, you're virtually guaranteeing it?

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#10 User is online   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-March-25, 16:15

View Posteagles123, on 2015-March-25, 13:14, said:

Phil, I struggle to see how this would work - given how often you suggest psyching exclusion surely it would have to be explained as "exclusion but often psyched" and then rather than stopping the club lead, you're virtually guaranteeing it?

Eagles

Only if he can find a partner to play with at least twice.....a propensity for psyching exclusion keycard might make that problematic B-) *

* a joke!!!!! I suspect PK has no trouble finding partners :D
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#11 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-25, 17:43

View Posteagles123, on 2015-March-25, 13:14, said:

Eagles

Opportunities for this kind of bid are pretty rare. Tom Townsend brought off a beautiful example in the Lederer (and he happens to be one of the players I do a lot of work with).

Yes, I do it a lot on the forum, but only once at the table (it made no difference). I do not have a precedent in any current partnership. I agree one should explain it if there were a precedent - although technically if it shows a void and asks for keycards ....

#12 User is online   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-25, 18:57

I think the hands that make 7S good are too good for a splinter. Something like Qxxx x KQxx Axxx is too good for a passed hand splinter for many people. I would bid 6S; they may smell a rat if I bid 6C, a bit like the restaurant in this story on yesterday's Fox News:
http://www.foxnews.c...tines-day-meal/
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users