• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Asking for a stopper

#1 User is offline   jerdonald 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-March-22, 17:27

BBO forum,

Playing 2/1 I had this hand when partner opened 1 Club.

S. A5
H. 74
D. AJ982
C. AQ74

I bid 2 diamonds showing at least 15 points, 5 diamonds and
no interest in majors. This is by partnership agreement.

Partner bid 3 clubs. I want to know if partner has a heart
stopper to see if we can get to 3NT. How do I do that?

Jerry D

#2 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-March-22, 17:34

would've thought that 3s shows spade stop and by implication asks for heart stop but I have to say I really dislike the methods

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#3 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2015-March-22, 18:17

It is normal when two stops are missing to bid the stopper you have. 3 also might put you on the road to a slam.

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-23, 09:22

You have to decide whether you show or ask in auctions of this type. As others have already mentioned, standard is to show although there is a (very) small theoretical advantage to asking. Asking does involve making certain further changes though so it is not quite as simple as switching the normal meanings. In the end, as long as both are on the same page it will not usually be important.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#5 User is offline   jerdonald 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-23, 18:21

BBO forum,
Thanks for the replies.

I have one more question about this hand. Does my partner have to alert
my 2 diamond bid over her 1 club opener?

Jerry D.

#6 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-March-23, 19:06

View Postjerdonald, on 2015-March-23, 18:21, said:

BBO forum,
Thanks for the replies.

I have one more question about this hand. Does my partner have to alert
my 2 diamond bid over her 1 club opener?

Jerry D.

You need to tell your jurisdiction to get an answer to this.

I think that in the EBU your SJS is not far enough from the "normal" range to require an alert.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#7 User is offline   jerdonald 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-23, 19:15

Vampyr,
This would be under ACBL jurisdiction.

Jerry D.

#8 User is online   kenberg 

Posted 2015-March-24, 11:42

I wouldn't think that a gane forcing jump shift is alterable but if it explicitly denies a major then maybe so. I am assuming that the support for clubs is not part of the agreement, that responder might well have long diamonds and no interest in any other suit,

As to the original question, I also would think that 3S over 3C shows a spade control so I would bid 3S. but here is a question: If your 2D denied an interest in the majors and if opener had long clubs and a heart stop, might he not already have bid 2H over 2D? What are we to make of the fact that he did not do so? If, say, he had the ace of hearts and a six card club suit, he might have bid 2H and then, if you bid 2NT, and then raised to 3NT to play NT or pulled 2NT to 3C. This could show a hand with good clubs, a heart control, and doubts about 3NT based either on lot's of shape or on a possibility of 6C.

Back to alerting: If your 2D bid showed such a disinterest in the majors that your partner would freely bid 2H to show a stop rather than a suit, then you might owe the opponents an explanation at the end of the auction. Alerting 2D is a bit tricky since it might be construed as a way of alerter telling his partner to take 2H over 2D with a grain or two of salt. I would be interested in hearing the views of directors on this.
Ken

#9 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-24, 13:22

As to the original question, I would say that there could be a variety of solutions that just require agreement. If you are going to develop your own bespoke systems, then you would normally expect to develop the follow-up sequences. Or at least it does not make a lot of sense to create your own bespoke system up to a certain point and then ask a stranger what are the subsequent follow-ups from a range of valid possibilities. One question that you should be considering is what would be meant by the various possible first rebids by opener, including 2M rebid opposite a responder who has denied major suit interest, which would have a knock-on implication for the meaning of the 3C choice adopted and ongoing continuations
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#10 User is offline   zillahandp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-24, 15:36

In Uk no alert if you were weak it does, nekthen and kalandseit please note as per acol club ruling

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users