BBO Discussion Forums: 3nt or 4sp ? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3nt or 4sp ?

Poll: 3nt or 4sp ? (48 member(s) have cast votes)

what do you bid ?

1. 4sp (16 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. 3NT (32 votes [66.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   WGF_Flame 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-March-17, 05:13

Held this yesterday,
My thought were, on mp its clear 3NT, but it was imp.
What would you bid ?

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-March-17, 05:36

This is a pretty tight decision even at MPs, the issue with 3N is that you can easily find opener with a balanced hand 4-4 in the minors, say xx, Axx, KJxx, AQ10x and lose 4 clubs and a heart while opposite KQxxxxx, QJx, x, xx 4 was easy, at MPs it's still not clear as there are hands with partner having A or Q and a stiff club where 4 makes exactly or +1, but losing 4 club tricks is a disaster in 3N.

You're pretty much on a guess, if partner has 2 or 3 diamonds and a club honour and/or the J, 3N may well be the spot.

The problem with 3N is that partner doesn't know if you are planning to use his spades as anything more than a stop while you run 7 or 8 clubs, so won't remove it when it's right.

I suspect I do bid 3N, but I don't like it much and 4 could easily be right.

#3 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-17, 07:35

3NT for me and I do not consider it close.
As Kit Woolsey points out time and again the urge for bidding 3NT at IMPs should be even stronger.
You need to take 2 tricks more at IMPs before 4 can show a big profit.
Those layouts exist, but there are many more where you will make at least as many tricks at notrumps than in a trump contract, in particular single dummy.
If you consider 3NT too risky you should pass.

Rainer Herrmann

#4 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2015-March-17, 07:42

What Rainer said.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#5 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-17, 08:19

A bit surprising not to see pass as one of the options in the poll. Perhaps I'll try my hand at answering Nigel style (but without quite so much of his innate generosity):
3N = 10; Pass = 8; 4 = 5

#6 User is offline   lackeman 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-March-17, 08:44

Counting the tricks! So if w have Kxxxxxx then it is 8 tricks. Partner often contributes to one more. Seldom more!
In MP not many (in My experience) most Will bid 4 sp. So a pass Will probably give u i think 70-95%. In NT we probably home with d lead(if d is lead. Dont think opner lead d so often ur not from DK. Probably not from ha either. So probably a cl lead. The opener Will probably have 2 honor in sekvence also, indicating he Will probably lead clubs.
Then it depends on what pd have beside the s. Often i think 3N Will be made so in IMP i think it is best. But still a pass (ie when 3N is home) Will generate a good score! And when not ofcause a top.
This is based on that i think 4sp is down.(didnt se the zones here, in red/red, or red/green the odds for a game from our side increase). In opposit if we are green partner can have for ex qxxxxxx or kqxxxx. Then for me it is pass in IMP as well as MP.

#7 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-March-17, 14:53

Need p with Hx in for 3N. If p short in I don't see 10 tricks with the red suits offside probably. So it 3N for me.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#8 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-17, 16:49

There is zero rational reason to assume p has or does not have any power on the side. There is zero rational way to tell if/where partner is short. That means we can only logically proceed from trick taking potential from a reasonable minimum 3s bid and proceed from there. If I have a sound bidding partner I will bid 3n which lho cannot set off the top so it will almost never be x. With a partner that likes to stray I would avoid 3n and most likely just pass. The downside of too much variability in preempts is a price that one must be willing to pay (when partner has a hand like this and passes from fear).

#9 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-March-17, 18:15

What Andy said, but with some extra comment.

I think it is nuts to bid 4. We will need magic cards to score 10 tricks in spades.

Meanwhile, they may give us the 9th trick on the opening lead in notrump, by leading a red suit.

While 3N may fail, because they can usually beat us with a club lead, there is no reason to assume that they will find that lead, and meanwhile the imp odds are very strongly in favour of bidding the game.

In fact, contrary to what I think the OP was suggesting, I think that pass is far more palatable at mps than at imps. I wouldn't pass at either form of scoring, since I expect 3N to make the same tricks, or more, than 3. It isn't as tho 3 is known to be cold, altho it is a string favourite.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#10 User is offline   WGF_Flame 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-17, 18:44

thank for the volting and answers,
in reality 3nt fail and 4sp made.
I am happy to see that my choice to bid 3nt wasnt incorrect.

#11 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-18, 02:55

View PostWGF_Flame, on 2015-March-17, 18:44, said:

thank for the volting and answers,
in reality 3nt fail and 4sp made.
I am happy to see that my choice to bid 3nt wasnt incorrect.

Can we now see whole hand?

#12 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Football, Coaching, Family, Writing

Posted 2015-March-18, 07:12

While I agree that PASS Should be an option in the poll, (i prefer lighter preempts), with no way to ascertain where partner is short I would be hard pressed to ignore a 10 card fit. Hence I bid 4.
To me, 3NT is playing "top or bottom" bridge.

#13 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-18, 07:29

View Postfourdad, on 2015-March-18, 07:12, said:

While I agree that PASS Should be an option in the poll, (i prefer lighter preempts), with no way to ascertain where partner is short I would be hard pressed to ignore a 10 card fit. Hence I bid 4.
To me, 3NT is playing "top or bottom" bridge.

Well, fair comment, sort of. However, you find that better players will gamble on a top or bottom and then be right well over 50% of the time.

Sometimes (as here) the opps (or partner) put you in a position where you have to make a decision based on little information (here pass, 3NT or 4S). All could be right. All could be wrong.
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#14 User is offline   zillahandp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-18, 09:43

4s p will be short in hts prob not close my view expect d lead so not too concerned about lho on lead rho will lead club or ht and if spades dont behave 3nt a problem wheras 4s still decent chances with end play on rho ie opener

#15 User is offline   detritus68 

• Pip
  • Interests:Hiking, Skiing, Travelling

Posted 2015-March-18, 13:49

3NT most likely game, for 4 I need special cards, 3NT either fitting cards (Club H) from partner or lucky lead - LHO will probably have a very nasty opening lead...

#16 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-18, 15:49

Clear 3n imo

#17 User is offline   masonbarge 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-18, 20:29

View Postrhm, on 2015-March-17, 07:35, said:

3NT for me and I do not consider it close.
As Kit Woolsey points out time and again the urge for bidding 3NT at IMPs should be even stronger.
You need to take 2 tricks more at IMPs before 4 can show a big profit.
Those layouts exist, but there are many more where you will make at least as many tricks at notrumps than in a trump contract, in particular single dummy.
If you consider 3NT too risky you should pass.

Rainer Herrmann

The problem with 3NT is not winners or overtricks, it's the clubs. Opponents have all the transportation they need unless you get very lucky.

I do agree that pass is a consideration, even at IMPs. I don't think 3NT is automatic at MP, either, when you think of more than half the field bidding 3NT and a lot of the rest in 4S. It is a bit tops-and-bottoms but a pass is a good shoot for a top.

#18 User is offline   masonbarge 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-18, 22:13

View Postdetritus68, on 2015-March-18, 13:49, said:

3NT most likely game, for 4 I need special cards, 3NT either fitting cards (Club H) from partner or lucky lead - LHO will probably have a very nasty opening lead...

There's a good chance he will squirm, but I'll tell you two suits he's not going to lead (if he's good).

With something like AQx.. and AQx.. doesn't he have to lay down one of the Aces?

#19 User is offline   sir john 

• Pip

Posted 2015-March-19, 06:56

I would bid 3 NT

#20 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-22, 05:46

3 NT is obvious to me.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users