• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-March-14, 22:09

MBC pickup game.

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-March-14, 22:23

In cases like this — pickup game, online, probably no real discussion of anything, I tend to think "you posted it, it was your fault". B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   mrdodgy 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-March-14, 22:36

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-March-14, 22:23, said:

In cases like this — pickup game, online, probably no real discussion of anything, I tend to think "you posted it, it was your fault". B-)

It may well be my fault :), but there was a short discussion; my partner stated they would playing my profile, which was not dissimilar to her own: SA or 2/1 5542 UDCA2/4+o/e +Multi2s*Lucas MuLandy xleb kokish 1403 2H--/2C +?

#4 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-14, 23:06

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-March-14, 22:23, said:

ditto

#5 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-March-15, 01:18

North and South each took one call. I disagree with both of them.

North's pass is timid opposite anyone other than a very aggressive preempter.

#6 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2015-March-15, 09:47

In second seat your preempts should be their most disciplined. There is way too much playing strength for a 3 preempt. I would like to bid 1 with that 2nd seat hand. Better than 3 is 1, 4, pass, or 2. Even 2 is less of a misdescription, but the directors might disapprove it as an illegal psych. Responder's pass is logical if he believes he is playing with a light preemptor. Since that was wrong, he deserves 10% of the blame.

#7 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-15, 10:19

I certainly understand not wanting to pass a 65 hand with the boss suit. It would seem the most logical alternatives are 1s or 2s. The downside of 3s is that it is unilateral and most likely abolishes any chance of playing clubs. Preempting in such a cruddy suit invites disaster since p is most likely unable to bid further unless they have a fit and even then when p is looking at the AK of spades what else will they think you are short of besides trump suit quality.

I prefer 2s with this mostly defenseless hand since at least that leaves partner with room to explore and we may yet get a chance to show our clubs if p has enough to invite. 2s = 8 1s = 5. 3s = 3. It may seem that south deserves a fair amount of the blame for this poor result but that is not really the case on this particular hand. the 3s hit p with a very appropriate hand and sometimes luck is a major factor in a given hand that cannot be ignored. I may not care for the 3s opener but in this case it should have been a winner. 20% fault to south since they may scare a timid north out of bidding game if N happens to be looking at the spade AK and wondering just how weak this 3s bid is.

Agree with artk78 that pass seems too conservative. If your p actually has a reasonable 3s call you have to bid 4s and until proven otherwise you have no strong reason to assume p does not have a 3s bid QJTxxxx QJx x xx where they rightfully expect to take 6 tricks at favorable opposite a collection of balanced junk (is hoping for the heart T really too much to ask?). I give 80% of the blame to North for not trusting partner to have other values to compensate for their obviously not overly strong spade suit.

#8 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-15, 10:33

I don't know if this comment is ATB or "etc". But, when I hold the top suit and no bid fits -- I make no bid.

Who is to blame for the auction not proceeding:

P-1N
4H-4S?

Perhaps the person who didn't let Partner open 1NT.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users