• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cheap Tactics Director Please!

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-March-14, 06:38

Matchpoints; Table result NS+500.

This was an interesting hand from a North London club on Tuesday, and West's imaginative sacrifice in Five Clubs needs some explaining. After North splintered with 4, East called the TD and stated that he thought there was a failure to alert. He recalled from a previous hand that NS played splinters over 1M; he also struggled to construct a non-alertable meaning of 4. The TD rushed over and asked South whether his partner's bid was alertable. "I don't think so," replied South, "it is a splinter but it is over 3NT, isn't it?" "That has changed", replied the TD, "please alert any bids over 3NT on the first round of the auction if they are artificial". When the auction came round to SB, West, all was clear. He had agreed with this partner that doubling a splinter said "don't lead this suit", so his partner could well have good clubs for his pass. They played that a double of Gerber said "Lead a club", so his partner had to call the TD when there was an infraction; his partner clearly would have doubled if 4 had been Gerber (or even Swiss or similar), but did not want to double a splinter. He thought that the TD call was authorized information, and he backed his judgement by saving in Five Clubs. North made a forcing pass, but it was tough for South to go on to Five Spades. South thought that SB had used the UI of the TD call, but SB claimed that he used information arising from the legal procedures authorized in the Laws, and this was AI. He began to quote 16A1c in full, but the TD told him not to do his job for him. How do you rule?
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2015-March-14, 06:42

View Postlamford, on 2015-March-14, 06:38, said:

"That has changed", replied the TD, "please alert any suit bids over 3NT on the first round of the auction if they are artificial".

(fixed)
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#3 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2015-March-14, 06:52

View PostRMB1, on 2015-March-14, 06:42, said:

(fixed)

Agreed. I was only quoting the TD, and there was director error!

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-March-14, 07:30

Not sure that it has anything to do with the ruling, but why did East call the director rather than simply asking what 4 showed?

#5 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2015-March-14, 07:38

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-March-14, 07:30, said:

Not sure that it has anything to do with the ruling, but why did East call the director rather than simply asking what 4 showed?

Because the question would give UI to his partner, but a TD call would not. And because he was aware of a breach of the last sentence of 21B1a.

#6 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-March-14, 09:02

View Postlamford, on 2015-March-14, 07:38, said:

Because the question would give UI to his partner, but a TD call would not. And because he was aware. And because he was aware of a breach of the last sentence of 21B1a.

Is this still true when attention has NOT been drawn to an irregularity?

(edited a bit for clarity)
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#7 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-March-14, 09:40

View Postlamford, on 2015-March-14, 07:38, said:

Because the question would give UI to his partner...
I don't see how this is true. EW have opposite meanings for double and pass, depending on what 4 means; therefore, East must know what 4 means before he makes his call, regardless of what he holds.

#8 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-14, 11:08

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-March-14, 09:40, said:

I don't see how this is true. EW have opposite meanings for double and pass, depending on what 4 means; therefore, East must know what 4 means before he makes his call, regardless of what he holds.

I think this is correct. However UI would be conveyed by the question when it is combined with subsequent inaction, surely?

In any case I always thought a director call was UI - isn't is a "remark" and so covered by 16B? I now assume I am wrong about this otherwise the topic is a bit of a non-starter.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#9 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-14, 12:06

When someone (anyone) draws attention to an irregularity, a director call does not convey UI - it's simply conforming to one's obligation to call the director.

When attention has not been drawn to an irregularity, a director call may convey UI. Depends on why the call was made.

I suppose one might ask "what if the person who drew attention to the irregularity calls the director?" I don't think that matters.

I suspect (I haven't completely thought it through) that if a player wants to call the TD and ask to speak to him away from the table, he probably shouldn't do that.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#10 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2015-March-14, 12:54

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-March-14, 12:06, said:

[...]
I suspect (I haven't completely thought it through) that if a player wants to call the TD and ask to speak to him away from the table, he probably shouldn't do that.

One possibility could be that he needs to confer with the Director on some strictly personal matters that are none of the other players' business?

#11 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2015-March-14, 13:35

East drew attention to the irregularity when calling the TD to state that he believed an alertable bid had not been alerted. That is surely within his right. If he was mistaken in his belief that there was an irregularity (for example if 4C had been natural and forcing, and therefore not alertable and correctly not alerted) he might well have conveyed UI. The mess was caused by the opponent.

It would be irregular to ask about a non-alerted bid, as East had no desire to bid anything if 4C was natural and forcing, the only non-alertable meaning.

#12 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-March-14, 13:47

View Postpran, on 2015-March-14, 12:54, said:

One possibility could be that he needs to confer with the Director on some strictly personal matters that are none of the other players' business?

In that case, does he really need to do it in the middle of a hand?
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#13 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2015-March-14, 13:49

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-March-14, 09:40, said:

If 4C is natural, which is the only non-alertable meaning of 4C, then double would be takeout. East had no obligation to ask whatsoever. NS had an absolute obligation to read the alerting regulations and follow them. I get irritated when we have an auction 1C-(Pass)-1H-(2H) or 1C-(Pass)-1S-(2S) and the opponents ask "What is that?". "Natural", I reply, "which is why I didn't alert it".

#14 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-March-14, 15:33

View Postlamford, on 2015-March-14, 13:49, said:

I get irritated when we have an auction 1C-(Pass)-1H-(2H) or 1C-(Pass)-1S-(2S) and the opponents ask "What is that?". "Natural", I reply, "which is why I didn't alert it".
Funny... my understanding is that in ACBL it's only alertable if it is natural.

#15 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2015-March-14, 16:36

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-March-14, 15:33, said:

Funny... my understanding is that in ACBL it's only alertable if it is natural.

Interesting. The general rule in the UK is that natural bids are not alerted unless they have an unexpected meaning.

#16 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-March-14, 17:05

I'm not sure about the auction you gave... but 25 years ago the rule was "cue bids are never alertable", and now "Natural" is in red in the Direct Overcall box of the ACBL convention card.

#17 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-14, 17:52

View Postlamford, on 2015-March-14, 13:49, said:

If 4C is natural, which is the only non-alertable meaning of 4C, then double would be takeout. East had no obligation to ask whatsoever. NS had an absolute obligation to read the alerting regulations and follow them. I get irritated when we have an auction 1C-(Pass)-1H-(2H) or 1C-(Pass)-1S-(2S) and the opponents ask "What is that?". "Natural", I reply, "which is why I didn't alert it".

Of course, you would never forget to alert an alertable bid, but your opponents don't know that. And, as you show with your OP, forgetting alerts is quite common. In addition, in many situations experienced players are supposed to protect themselves against misinformation by asking.

This all means that there is no reason for you to be irritated when an opponents asks about these kind of auctions. You just reply "Natural". The 'smart' comment "which is why I didn't alert it" is uncalled for. Remember that the opponents didn't write the regulation that says that they are supposed to protect themselves.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#18 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2015-March-15, 00:07

View Postpran, on 2015-March-14, 12:54, said:

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-March-14, 13:47, said:

In that case, does he really need to do it in the middle of a hand?

Isn't that possible?

#19 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-March-15, 00:11

View Postpran, on 2015-March-15, 00:07, said:

Isn't that possible?

I suppose anything is possible, but it doesn't seem very likely.
--------------------

#20 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2015-March-15, 01:54

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-March-15, 00:11, said:

I suppose anything is possible, but it doesn't seem very likely.

My point is that if a player, for whatever reason and at whatever time, wants a private consultation with the Director then that is a matter between the two of them and no business for anybody else.

If the Director then finds that the player has acted out of order then that is a matter for him to sort out, and again no business for anybody else unless the Director rules that it is.

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users