• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cheap Tactics Director Please!

#121 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-March-23, 07:40

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-March-23, 05:22, said:

Here is one although it involves a change of mindset and some outlay. Place under the table before each player a mobile device. Thia device consists of a touchscreen and a link to the other machines. The touchscreen consists of buttons describing common calls - "natural", "conventional", "transfer", "takeout", etc. After partner makes a call you touch the approrpiate sections and these are displayed on the opponents' displays. Very simple, easy and intuitive. Nige has also suggested something along these lines, albeit without the tech. Of course, even if everyone thought this would be a good idea it would be a very long time before anyone would even consider introducing it - and no doubt many would object to such an approach. But an answer using technology is not so difficult. It says something of the mindset of the bridge authorities that such ideas seem to be a million miles from the table; whereas in most other major activities the idea of innovation and/or technology is discussed much more actively. That seems to me to be a mistake....but then at under 50 I practically count as a junior player!

Like video and other technology in football, this will be booted into touch on the grounds of cost, and of slowing down the game.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#122 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-23, 11:14

View Postlamford, on 2015-March-23, 07:40, said:

Like video and other technology in football, this will be booted into touch on the grounds of cost, and of slowing down the game.

Because browing through the Blue Book is much faster... ;)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#123 User is offline   Lanor Fow 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-March-23, 11:18

You don't have to look through it each time you make a call :)

#124 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-March-23, 18:20

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-March-23, 01:11, said:

The reason why a short and simple regulation works better is that it communicates.

What do we want to achieve with an alert regulation? That people disclose their agreements and warn their opponents if there is something they might not know.

If that is your goal for an alert regulation, then just say so. Communicate exactly that, loud and clearly, and nothing more. Anything more is merely fogging up the message.

That's not ALL we want. We also want to minimize the amount of UI transmitted between partners when they're alerting and explaining. So the alert procedure is a compromise.

This was the reason for the change last year in ACBL's alerting of Puppet Stayman. Alerting the asking bid was felt to be more useful to the bidder (it reminds him that they're playing Puppet, or if there's a failure to alert he knows that his partner forgot that they're playing Puppet) than the opponents (what are they going to do differently based on knowing whether responder is asking for a 4-card or 5-card major?). So now we don't alert until opener answers the question, because the meaning describes his hand and that's important information for the opponents to know. And by that time, if opener has forgotten their agreement, it's too late to be reminded.

#125 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-23, 19:48

View Postbarmar, on 2015-March-23, 18:20, said:

That's not ALL we want. We also want to minimize the amount of UI transmitted between partners when they're alerting and explaining. So the alert procedure is a compromise.

This was the reason for the change last year in ACBL's alerting of Puppet Stayman. Alerting the asking bid was felt to be more useful to the bidder (it reminds him that they're playing Puppet, or if there's a failure to alert he knows that his partner forgot that they're playing Puppet) than the opponents (what are they going to do differently based on knowing whether responder is asking for a 4-card or 5-card major?). So now we don't alert until opener answers the question, because the meaning describes his hand and that's important information for the opponents to know. And by that time, if opener has forgotten their agreement, it's too late to be reminded.

Glad you said that. You don't have to cite your sources for stating the obvious intent, like I was challenged to do when I said that.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users