BBO Discussion Forums: how complete do alerts have to be? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

how complete do alerts have to be?

#21 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-March-19, 04:44

Better to pre-alert those things as the negative inference when you don't open 1NT is equally important.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#22 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-19, 05:03

We pre-alerted the weak NT to everyone, often with the full explanation but not always (we were regulars so most already knew). However, German regulations make an alert necessary regardless.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#23 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-19, 07:59

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-March-18, 05:41, said:

I find the issue of a lack of full disclosure is also present all too often from European players so it would be wrong to leave the impression that it is only a cultural (American) thing.

That is certainly true, and I am sorry if I have depicted the Europeans as saints and the Americans as sinners.

The point that I was trying to make is that both sides need to try and realize where the other side is coming from.

The Americans come from a culture with essentially one standard system where there is little need for explanations and many (not all) Europeans come from a culture where almost anything is allowed and where almost every bid eeds to be explained.

Add the language barrier to that and you have a recipe for friction. If both sides understand that this is a recipe for friction and understand the culture of the other, this friction can be prevented.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#24 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2015-March-20, 03:33

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-March-19, 04:41, said:

(...) That is quite a mouthful once translated to German...

Anything a is mouthful once translated to German :)

#25 User is offline   toukie 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-March-20, 04:53

View Postonoway, on 2015-March-18, 18:34, said:

The reason I threw out the one I did was that he wouldn't shut up long enough for me to deal with the issue, but was overriding and interrupting everything I was trying to say with more and more vehement comments, he wasn't listening at ALL. He wasn't even listening to anything the opps were saying, when the bidder did try to clarify somewhat what the HELLO convention bids were, but kept talking more and more excitedly over everything anyone said. It was in fact, a tantrum, and so I dealt with it like I would any other tantrum, removed the person from the situation until they decided to behave in a reasonable manner.

He made himself into the problem rather than letting me deal with the real issue. It got to the point of removing him or cancelling the match altogether, which I was on the verge of doing, but thought it unfair to penalize the other table of players, who were quietly getting on with and apparently enjoying their game.

One thing I don't get. You said the player you threw out was a WBF director? I imagined that to be someone who directs international events. I don't believe anyone who directs at that level would behave in the manner you described. Directors, especially top ones, normally behave calmly. I would suggest checking that person's credentials. He doesn't sound like any WBF directors I know.

From your description, the player's behavior and attitude was unacceptable, he would deserve a Procedural Penalty for bad behavior at the very least. Sounds like you did the right thing thowing him out.

#26 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2015-March-20, 08:15

We really have no way, here, to know whether there was rudeness...or the what the OP defines as yelling on-line.

But if I ever try to find out the meaning of a bid you have just made, and the possible hands which would have made such bid --- don't get an answer --- and cite regs which require an answer.............Please boot me out if you don't want to comply.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#27 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-March-20, 11:32

View Postaguahombre, on 2015-March-20, 08:15, said:

We really have no way, here, to know whether there was rudeness...or the what the OP defines as yelling on-line.

Or interrupting. Obviously there is a delay when you are typing, so it is normal in a real-time exchange for comments to cross each other.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#28 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-March-22, 00:00

View Postwhereagles, on 2015-March-20, 03:33, said:

Anything a is mouthful once translated to German :)

Isn't it just one (long) word in German?

#29 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-23, 11:02

no, only the description is one word - there's still "ich will ...." and then "verb" to go.

Now, if it were Finnish...
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users