• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dummy comments on trump suit

#21 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-March-15, 09:08

View Postaguahombre, on 2015-March-15, 08:35, said:

No, but it is one of the three things I mentioned which could justify a PP. I don't believe violation of a procedure should go directly to procedural penalty without one of your three things occurring -- nor have I seen it happen.

Actually two of those three things happened on this occasion:
  • It was blatant.
  • He compounded it by stating that nobody would miscount trumps when declarer, in fact, clearly was already confused about the trump suit.

If I don't give a PP for that then I will never give one.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#22 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-15, 11:13

View Postaguahombre, on 2015-March-15, 08:35, said:

No, but it is one of the three things I mentioned which could justify a PP. I don't believe violation of a procedure should go directly to procedural penalty without one of those three things occurring -- nor have I seen it happen.

There is also the consideration of the seriousness of the offense, as indicated by the wording ("should", "shall", "must" and their negatives). And that is an area that many TDs ignore.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#23 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-15, 11:45

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-March-15, 11:13, said:

There is also the consideration of the seriousness of the offense, as indicated by the wording ("should", "shall", "must" and their negatives). And that is an area that many TDs ignore.

Yes. Perhaps "blatant" should only connote deliberately trying to get away with something. In the given case --- even though Dummy could have known his rules violation might well damage the opponents (L23 for adjustment) --- I don't believe it meets what I consider the really "serious" offenses (defying cell phone regs, cheating, ZT, etc) for which an immediate jump to negative discipline is warranted.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#24 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-16, 15:54

I think that the not only not remorseful, but actively excusing behaviour by dummy to the TD is enough to make this go from "you know you aren't supposed to do that; you're owning up to it and clearly won't do it again; alright, let's leave it at that" to "you obviously don't realize how serious a violation of 'dummy must not participate in the play' this statement was; perhaps a 1/4 board will make it clear".

I could see several reasons to be more lenient; but this is egregious behaviour that clearly is illegal to any player who knows anything about tournament bridge and being dummy. Being publicly unrepentant, to the point of not admitting there even is an issue, only more so - so my default is "penalty unless it's clear to be lenient/it's clear the warning will get the point across", rather than the other way around.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users