• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How do you bid this hand? Bidding situation

#1 User is offline   lackeman 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-March-13, 02:59

Hi!
Played this hand IMP yesterday.(both red)
I have in 4th seat xxx Jxxxxx - QJ9x
The bidding is p-1s-p....
How do u think here? My "expert pd" says u have 4p so pass... But that can a monkey also understand...And we have all been monkeys at the beginning!...
Playing SAYC (ie 2cl is strong)..3s is limit..
Thx in advance!

(relax and enjoy)

#2 User is offline   dicklont 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, music, sports

Posted 2015-March-13, 03:43

When you play forcing 1NT you can bid that and 2 in the next round, unless of course p shows hearts as a second suit.
This makes is a little harder for the opponents to find their fit.

Without the forcing NT I see no alternative to pass. You would not mind to play 1 if they let you.
--
Finding your own mistakes is more productive than looking for partner's. It improves your game and is good for your soul. (Nige1)

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-March-13, 04:00

1NT is not forcing in SAYC but this hand is good enough for 2.

By the way, monkeys can't count high card points but maybe your expert p was a walrus :)
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-13, 04:01

This is a normal raise to 2. Yes, you have only 4 HCP, but you also have a void.

If you play a forcing 1NT response, you could bid that (who knows? partner might rebid 2 :) ). But if my partner would raise to 2 (with a forcing 1NT available) I wouldn't complain. If he would pass, I would call a doctor.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#5 User is offline   lackeman 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-March-13, 04:19

View Postdicklont, on 2015-March-13, 03:43, said:

When you play forcing 1NT you can bid that and 2 in the next round, unless of course p shows hearts as a second suit.
This makes is a little harder for the opponents to find their fit.

Without the forcing NT I see no alternative to pass. You would not mind to play 1 if they let you.

No most often not only when i take 10 tricks or more :) Any way thx for the respons

#6 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2015-March-13, 23:06

Will accept partner's help suit try in or , and raise partner's try in
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#7 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2015-March-13, 23:22

2 I don't see a second choice
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#8 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2015-March-14, 03:16

2, you have 4HCP and 3 distributional points (when you have a fit you count your voids), that makes it perfect for the 6-9 range.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#9 User is offline   Trump Echo 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-14, 05:32

If the "expert" wants to complain, he needs to put up a better argument. There is nothing wrong with responding with "4 points" provided you have distribution values.

Pass - some systems expect to see 109x minimum with a direct raise and you have no alternative. You will support on the next round if you get the chance.

Raise - you have plenty of strength for a direct raise thanks to distribution.

1 NT - you play forcing NT and plan to support Spades next.

Arguments can be made for/against all these calls. The correct call depends on your system and your style.

#10 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Football, Coaching, Family, Writing

Posted 2015-March-14, 05:33

View PostCascade, on 2015-March-13, 23:22, said:

2 I don't see a second choice

BINGO!!

#11 User is offline   case_no_6 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-14, 07:26

I really don't think the person you were partner is much of an expert. 3 card support and a void with a side QJ combination in a four card suit is worth a raise to 2S. And there really is nothing else that even remotely makes sense. You have enough for one peep in this auction and the absolute top priority is to show your support for partner's long major immediately while limiting your hand. A raise to 2S empowers partner to recognize the value of his or her hand; failure to bid makes partner guess.

#12 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2015-March-14, 09:07

Anyone who bids on this collection of junk should be referred to a
good psychiatrist. There is an old adage... "If you invite trouble it usually accepts".
The wise player wou;d pass without any hesitation.
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#13 User is offline   masse24 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-14, 09:22

View PostPhilG007, on 2015-March-14, 09:07, said:

The unwise player would pass without any hesitation.

FYP
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

#14 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-14, 10:54

Don't be too harsh on your "expert" partner. They probably made a reasonable 4s bid that went down due to an unfortunate duplication of values in diamonds. They were in ill humor probably for some other reason(s) and failed to appreciate that in bridge both good and bad things happen quite frequently.

2s

Clear cut not so much because your hand is worth so much but because it is worth so little defensively while still retaining a good deal of potential. That 2s bid makes it much tougher for the opps to locate a (probable) dia fit. Light opening bidders should especially appreciate the preemptive value of 2s. If p were to bid 3h HSGT over 2s would anyone hesitate to bid 4h? That being the case a 2s bid seems prudent not just from a preemptive stand point but for retaining the ability to bid game under certain conditions that's pretty good for a mere simple raise--lots of potential reward for not much risk.

#15 User is offline   lackeman 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-March-15, 04:18

View Postgszes, on 2015-March-14, 10:54, said:

Don't be too harsh on your "expert" partner. They probably made a reasonable 4s bid that went down due to an unfortunate duplication of values in diamonds. They were in ill humor probably for some other reason(s) and failed to appreciate that in bridge both good and bad things happen quite frequently.

2s

Clear cut not so much because your hand is worth so much but because it is worth so little defensively while still retaining a good deal of potential. That 2s bid makes it much tougher for the opps to locate a (probable) dia fit. Light opening bidders should especially appreciate the preemptive value of 2s. If p were to bid 3h HSGT over 2s would anyone hesitate to bid 4h? That being the case a 2s bid seems prudent not just from a preemptive stand point but for retaining the ability to bid game under certain conditions that's pretty good for a mere simple raise--lots of potential reward for not much risk.

Y I feel now that 2s must be the correct bid, not sure.In the end we playedTo play 2 s Is no problem but the problem rises when partner have a hand that he will continue w invite or bidding game. a hand like AKxxxx-xxxx-Axx is a good 4 s contract hand (if not trumf lead but anyway a 50%+ to make).. But when partner have for ex a bad spade tex Kxxxx then he can have many points for ex Kxxxxx-KQ-Kx-KQJ (17 points but a bad game)..
By the way partner had AKQJx-xx-Kxxx-KT..He bid 4s.. Mabye 3d had been better but not obvious that it is better than 4s...
By the way I think that when trumf i setted it isnt so much of a danger if som points are missing/extras.. Often the 6 trumf for ex are matters more..
It is i think NT hands or when no trumf are setted, then it can bee problem if not follow highpoints to some extennd value the hand.
I can mean allso that if we dont get the contract for ex if LHO is declear it can be a bad lead as te result of the 2 s supporting bid. I often think of not support in many cases when partner is leading from his A/K/Q/KJ/KQ etc it often costs a trick.
Anotherthing is that (in my experience)when bidding is like this and especially when we have suited hands/renons etc... They didnt bid so often they have less than 11 points if not they passes with trumf.. Then Pd will probably have 15/16+ points and often continue bidding... This talks for pass..
I play often bergen raises and (strong club) then 2S often is wery weak.
So in my summary It is some that talks for a pass.. And if they balance then we can bid 2 s or hearts, partner then have more correct picture of our hand, and can make better bids in the case the bidding continue..
WhAT DO U SAY?

#16 User is offline   zillahandp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-15, 07:41

Only one possible bid, 2s , whether or not playing weak nt , or strong nt with 5card majors or weak with five card majors

#17 User is offline   masonbarge 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-15, 09:33

One more vote for 2 as clearcut, by-the-book bid. Yes it is a bare minimum but so what? That void with 3 trumps is worth something.

2/1 bidders will bid 1NT then 2S to show 3-card support, i.e. it is weaker.

#18 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-March-15, 10:38

2 if you're playing SAYC.

Playing 2/1, I'd agree with a forcing NT followed by 2 .

#19 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2015-March-15, 11:47

If opener rebids 2 over a forcing NT, a raise to 3 is very good.

#20 User is offline   jodepp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-15, 14:20

How could any red-blooded bridge player not bid 2 :)

If playing a forcing notrump I might try that, settling in 2 if partner bid my void. Otherwise, I think it's masterminding to Pass.

Seriously, this hand lacks nothing for a raise.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users