Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Here need clear definitions.

#1 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-March-12, 06:57

After 2nt,what's the meaning s of 3 by responder?
3 says " New sut forcing --- 5+,7+TPs ".
Is it a checkback bid?
Is it a 4-card new suit?
I think here need clear definitions on 3.

#2 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-12, 07:38

New Minor Forcing is a convention. You can think of it as checkback.

http://www.bridgehan...nor_Forcing.htm
Wayne Somerville

#3 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-12, 14:32

It could be clearer, yes. But, the description mentions length and point count only, not length, so it should be taken as artificial.

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-12, 18:51

There is no need for anything clearer... if you want "new minor forcing" explained better, you might as well say that you want Stayman explained better.

#5 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-12, 19:39

View Postlycier, on 2015-March-12, 06:57, said:

3 says " New sut forcing[/size]

It actually says New minor forcing.

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-March-12, 18:51, said:

There is no need for anything clearer... if you want "new minor forcing" explained better, you might as well say that you want Stayman explained better.

Mostly agree, I don't know what the character limit is for GIB explanations but it is a lot shorter than the twitter limit. :) While you're not supposed to give the name of a convention when describing a bid in a live game, with GIB it seems like a very good idea instead of the usual non descriptive description we are all accustomed to. Since you are already on a computing device, you can Google the meaning.

#6 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-12, 20:36

Ok, now I presume all of you are correct,what's the following after 3 as new minor forcing? Gib's answer is 4,is it correct ?

#7 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-March-13, 00:59

View Postlycier, on 2015-March-12, 20:36, said:

Ok, now I presume all of you are correct,what's the following after 3 as new minor forcing? Gib's answer is 4,is it correct ?
Strangely, perhaps, I think that it may be (correct). He hasn't got a third Spade to bid 3S, he hasn't got a 4th Heart to bid 3H, he hasn't got a Diamond guard, and there is not a lot left.

The interesting question that I have not addressed is the distinction between 3D and 3N. If they were used to distinguish quality of Diamonds, then it might leave 3N open as an option to partner. But perhaps both would show something in Diamonds sufficient for at least a single stopper.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#8 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-March-13, 22:01

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-March-13, 00:59, said:

Strangely, perhaps, I think that it may be (correct). He hasn't got a third Spade to bid 3S, he hasn't got a 4th Heart to bid 3H, he hasn't got a Diamond guard, and there is not a lot left.

The interesting question that I have not addressed is the distinction between 3D and 3N. If they were used to distinguish quality of Diamonds, then it might leave 3N open as an option to partner. But perhaps both would show something in Diamonds sufficient for at least a single stopper.

I think the description provided for 4 should deny 3 spades and it should deny 4 hearts. 2N probably should have denied 5 clubs and, of course, it's not a "jump in NT".

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users