BBO Discussion Forums: (What) to bid? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

(What) to bid?

Poll: (What) to bid? (43 member(s) have cast votes)

What's your bid?

1. pass (8 votes [18.60%])

Percentage of vote: 18.60%

2. 2♦ (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 2♥ (22 votes [51.16%])

Percentage of vote: 51.16%

4. 2♠ (artificial) (0 votes [0.00%])

5. 2NT (3 votes [6.98%])

Percentage of vote: 6.98%

6. 3♣ (10 votes [23.26%])

Percentage of vote: 23.26%

7. other (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-March-12, 06:21

View Postm1cha, on 2015-March-10, 19:30, said:

I am aware this looks like a question to beginners but it is not meant to be. I am not interested in the official system bid, which I know. Rather I would like to hear your experience with this sequence, and what you think your system bid should be.

After 2,the next bid usually depend on your partnership ageeements.
Foe example :
If play Gazzilli,the next bid is relay bidding 2 to showing 8hcp+.
If play Bart,the next bid is 2 to show less than 9hcp.
Don't think 3 as a final contract must be better than 2,even only with 2-card support.
So in general,rebid-2 should be reasonable.

#22 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-12, 07:07

Even when not playing any artificial strong opener rebids, the chances of this responder hand making game are slim, while the chances of going too high are much better. I would rebid 2 with many hands, but when we have a definite 8+ card fit at the 2-level, I take it.

#23 User is offline   Taiwan_up 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-March-12, 07:33

2C is not jumping responce so W has no good pts. Pass is the best bid.
E has 4clubs but not enough pts for 3C which is inviting in some degree.
And the most important of all, only idiot would bid 2H against 2C with 7+hearts and 8+clubs.

#24 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-March-12, 08:02

View PostTaiwan_up, on 2015-March-12, 07:33, said:

And the most important of all, only idiot would bid 2H against 2C with 7+hearts and 8+clubs.

Do you always try so hard to ingratiate yourself with the locals when you come to a new place?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#25 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-12, 08:41

View PostTaiwan_up, on 2015-March-12, 07:33, said:

2C is not jumping responce so W has no good pts.

2 denies game-forcing values but there is quite a range between the top end and a minimum opening so "no good points" is something of an exaggeration. Of course, given that I am [an] "idiot" you will probably ignore this (along with anything Adam, Phil, etc might add). Whatever, pass might well be the best call but it might also be a disaster. The alternatives that the majority have gone for offer some degree of insurance against both extremes.
(-: Zel :-)

#26 User is offline   masonbarge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-March-12, 11:32

View Postm1cha, on 2015-March-11, 11:53, said:

Maybe I'm mistaken, my impression from TrumpEcho's post was that 1 1N 2 2 can include 3-card, perhaps even 4-card support. Then the question would not be "why not" but "why", even though I find nothing wrong with it.

With 4-card support, the proper initial response is 2H, not 1NT. We use the 1H-1NT-2m-2H sequence to show 6-9 with 3-card support.

With due respect to Mr. Leong, David Bird completely disagrees with him and says that a 4-4 minor scores better at both IMPs and matchpoints than a 5-2 major. This must be doubly true with the risky heart raise on xx.

His example is K2 Q1074 9863 J96, on a similar auction, ie 1-1NT-2-?

On his 5000-hand simulation, 2 made 67% of the time while 2 made 32% of the time. Matchpoint advantage of 2D over 2S was 72% to 28%! IMP advantage was +2.5 vul and +1.9 non-vul.

May I also point out that in this hand, the major support is substantially worse and the minor support substantially better than in Bird's analysis. Unless I am missing something (always a possibility!) there is no issue that 2 is a misbid, at any scoring and any vulnerability.

The correct bid on this hand is "Pass".

#27 User is offline   masonbarge 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-12, 11:34

double post sorry

#28 User is offline   masonbarge 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-12, 11:47

View PostPhil, on 2015-March-11, 21:55, said:

2 looks kind of obvious to me.

Especially since partner can have six of them.

Do you think this is a general rule, or is it something specific? I would never rebid a minor with a six-card major suit, unless I had enough strength to jump with a 6-5. Two clubs is not forcing and for the reasons stated above, I will expect partner to pass with four-card minor support and two of my major. Therefore, rebidding a six-card major when I'm not in a game-seeking sequence is nearly mandatory.

If my partner bid 2 clubs here with a strong 5-card club suit and a ratty 6-card major, I wouldn't complain, as long as he doesn't complain about me passing with xx in the major and xxxx in the minor. But I think Bird's analysis might change with an 8-card major fit, at least at matchpoints.

#29 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-March-12, 12:11

View Postmasonbarge, on 2015-March-12, 11:47, said:

Do you think this is a general rule, or is it something specific? I would never rebid a minor with a six-card major suit, unless I had enough strength to jump with a 6-5. Two clubs is not forcing and for the reasons stated above, I will expect partner to pass with four-card minor support and two of my major. Therefore, rebidding a six-card major when I'm not in a game-seeking sequence is nearly mandatory.

If my partner bid 2 clubs here with a strong 5-card club suit and a ratty 6-card major, I wouldn't complain, as long as he doesn't complain about me passing with xx in the major and xxxx in the minor. But I think Bird's analysis might change with an 8-card major fit, at least at matchpoints.

I would expect a 2 rebid to be made on many different types of 6-4 hands. Some are hard core about it but i still prefer it shows extras.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#30 User is offline   brettnj 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-March-12, 13:18

If partner could have as much as 18+, your system is seriously flawed, as 2c is passable. At imps, I would pass 2c, and at mp's, bid 2h.

#31 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-12, 13:22

View Postmasonbarge, on 2015-March-12, 11:32, said:

With 4-card support, the proper initial response is 2H, not 1NT. We use the 1H-1NT-2m-2H sequence to show 6-9 with 3-card support.

With due respect to Mr. Leong, David Bird completely disagrees with him and says that a 4-4 minor scores better at both IMPs and matchpoints than a 5-2 major. This must be doubly true with the risky heart raise on xx.

On his 5000-hand simulation, 2 made 67% of the time while 2 made 32% of the time. Matchpoint advantage of 2D over 2S was 72% to 28%! IMP advantage was +2.5 vul and +1.9 non-vul.

May I also point out that in this hand, the major support is substantially worse and the minor support substantially better than in Bird's analysis. Unless I am missing something (always a possibility!) there is no issue that 2 is a misbid, at any scoring and any vulnerability.

TrumpEcho's post mentioned that 1NT was forcing in his system while the OP says his 1NT is non forcing. That changes things quite a bit. A 2 rebid could be a 2 card suit (4-5-2-2), or more frequently a 3 card suit. Also, as Phil points out, it could be a 6-4 hand. Your 4-4 minor fit may not be 4-4, and your 5-2 major fit may be 6-2.

You say the proper response with 4 card support is to immediately raise. What if you only have 3 points and 4 card support? Do you still raise? The theory is that the extra trump support balances out the lack of points (on average, obviously this may or may not be true for any specific hand).

#32 User is offline   masonbarge 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-12, 14:09

View Postjohnu, on 2015-March-12, 13:22, said:

TrumpEcho's post mentioned that 1NT was forcing in his system while the OP says his 1NT is non forcing. That changes things quite a bit. A 2 rebid could be a 2 card suit (4-5-2-2), or more frequently a 3 card suit. Also, as Phil points out, it could be a 6-4 hand. Your 4-4 minor fit may not be 4-4, and your 5-2 major fit may be 6-2.

You say the proper response with 4 card support is to immediately raise. What if you only have 3 points and 4 card support? Do you still raise? The theory is that the extra trump support balances out the lack of points (on average, obviously this may or may not be true for any specific hand).

I certainly raise the major in preference to bidding 1NT, since the trump support is the only feature of my hand!

#33 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-12, 14:42

View Postbrettnj, on 2015-March-12, 13:18, said:

If partner could have as much as 18+, your system is seriously flawed, as 2c is passable. At imps, I would pass 2c, and at mp's, bid 2h.

You definitely got it the other way around. The biggest plus for bidding 2 is that it gives opener another chance incase we have game. At MP however, game bonus is not worth to sacrifice your most likely best fit.
Imo passing 2 is very reasonable at MP.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#34 User is offline   m1cha 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-12, 18:54

View Postmasonbarge, on 2015-March-12, 11:32, said:

Thanks masonbarge, that is great data!

Just let me add some ideas though they are not that thoroughly backed. Firstly, one contract making and the other one not, that is certainly a worst-case scenario for the weaker contract. When both contracts fail, it's still strictly about the number of tricks but the benefit for the safer contract is less than above. When the hand is stronger and both contracts make (even if we are not talking about making a full game), the contract in a major will at some point get ahead because less tricks are needed to make the same score.

The hand I posted had 2 points more than yours. That should add ~ 20 % probability of making the contract (or 1 additional trick in most cases). This will reduce the advantages you reported but I am pretty sure the conclusion is still the same.

#35 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-12, 19:30

View Postmasonbarge, on 2015-March-12, 14:09, said:

View Postmasonbarge, on 2015-March-12, 14:09, said:

I certainly raise the major in preference to bidding 1NT, since the trump support is the only feature of my hand!

Then the range on your single raise is 2/3 to 9+. Not saying that's wrong, but the idea of going through 1NT with support is to tighten the range of the single raise.

As far as the auction

1 - 1NT
2m - 2

showing 6-9 with 3 card support, I don't know anybody who doesn't make an immediate raise to 2 with 3 trump and 6-9. You need that sequence when you just want to take a preference.

#36 User is offline   m1cha 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-12, 20:19

View Postmasonbarge, on 2015-March-12, 11:47, said:

I would never rebid a minor with a six-card major suit, unless I had enough strength to jump with a 6-5. Two clubs is not forcing and for the reasons stated above, I will expect partner to pass with four-card minor support and two of my major. Therefore, rebidding a six-card major when I'm not in a game-seeking sequence is nearly mandatory.

When I started learning Bridge, it was with ACOL. Then you opened 4-card majors, and your second bid in a minor suit would make it 5 cards in the major. If you had 6-4, you planned to rebid the major again in the third round.

After changing to opening 5-card majors not so long ago, I found there are two schools about bidding 6-4 hands (M+m). Some rebid the major immediately while others plan the ACOL style showing 5-4 first. I have followed the 5-4 school for quite a while for the reason that 54xx shows 9 cards of your hand while 6xxx only shows 6 cards, so bidding 5-4 describes your hand better. More recently I have come to doubt that last half-sentence. I see a number of reasons for bidding the 6-card major first.

- If you show 5-4, your partner will assume you want to play a NT contract but with 6-4 you want to play your suit. So you are suggesting the wrong contract.
- Partner will often have doubleton support because singletons and, particularly, voids are quite rare.
- The probability of exactly 5-4 in the longest two suits is 24.75 %, 6-4 has 6.03 %, 6-3 has 9.09 %. That means even if you agree that the rebid in a minor can include a 6-4 hand, you partner will assume that you haven't got one because it is unlikely (1:6). So you are suggesting the wrong information.
- Rebidding your major limits your strength within a more or less narrow limit, bidding a minor hardly does. This makes a rebid of the major actually quite a good - and particularly useful - description of the hand while
- bidding the minor can create follow-up problems as we have seen in the contributions to this topic.

That is to say, I agree with you but I haven't always followed that style.

#37 User is offline   m1cha 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-12, 20:52

View Postbrettnj, on 2015-March-12, 13:18, said:

According to the ACBL SAYC system booklet which you find here
http://web2.acbl.org...gle%20pages.pdf
on page 3, the 2 rebid after a 1/ opening extends to 18 points in Standard American. Same goes for BBO's GIB playing 2/1, for ACOL (at least according to my old books) and for the official national Bridge systems in European countries such as France and Germany. If you think that all these systems are 'seriously flawed', I don't want to be in your shoes having to defend this position. Though I will not be one of those who contradict you ;) .

As some ways out, mgoetze in post #2 suggested Gazzilli or Precision.

#38 User is offline   masonbarge 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-12, 22:06

View Postjohnu, on 2015-March-12, 19:30, said:

Then the range on your single raise is 2/3 to 9+. Not saying that's wrong, but the idea of going through 1NT with support is to tighten the range of the single raise.

As far as the auction

1 - 1NT
2m - 2

showing 6-9 with 3 card support, I don't know anybody who doesn't make an immediate raise to 2 with 3 trump and 6-9. You need that sequence when you just want to take a preference.

Yes, and with 4-card support, as I said, you raise the major rather than respond 1NT.

#39 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-12, 23:42

to be fair many play constructive raises so go through 1nt with say 6-7 and 3 card support.
-------------------

I fully grant that the auction: 1h=1nt=2c=2h can be a rather wide range on both sides of this auction, more so for me than for most others. :(

I am going to guess for Bird the auction/parameters are much more limited so his results are different.

#40 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-13, 03:05

View Postm1cha, on 2015-March-12, 20:19, said:

When I started learning Bridge, it was with ACOL. Then you opened 4-card majors, and your second bid in a minor suit would make it 5 cards in the major. If you had 6-4, you planned to rebid the major again in the third round.

After changing to opening 5-card majors not so long ago, I found there are two schools about bidding 6-4 hands (M+m).

You have the same two schools among acol players as well. It actually doesn't matter whether you originally showed five or not.

But if you play a style in which your 2c rebid can be a 3card suit then you know that partner will take preference for hearts with a hand like the one we are discussing and that makes it more attractive to rebid the minor with 6-4.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users