Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hamman's Rule

#1 User is offline   ibraves 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-March-09, 05:43

This hand came up on in a Swiss teams game yesterday. IMP Scoring, 7 board matches converted to VPs. You're near the top in a weak field. Opposition are reasonable.

what's your choice. If you choose to dbl when would you bid 3N and if you bid 3N when would you double?

Spoiler

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-March-09, 06:12

3N makes with ease because the clubs work, it's far from cold on a heart lead ducked and is going -3 if it fails.

Both hands seem to have the 98 and less relevantly the 2 btw

5 is far from hopeless without seeing the other hands depending on the exact spade pips but needs more than 3N.

#3 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-March-09, 06:33

It looks like a double to me - 4 good spades, controls, Kx of hearts.

If partner bids 4, I am raising to 5. It will need a lot of luck to make.

#4 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-09, 07:26

3NT looks like it needs the singleton QC to have good play. If you pick up clubs for no losers in any other way, you only have 4 tricks and need to rely on the spade finesse.

Double looks normal.

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-March-09, 08:06

View Postsfi, on 2015-March-09, 07:26, said:

3NT looks like it needs the singleton QC to have good play. If you pick up clubs for no losers in any other way, you only have 4 tricks and need to rely on the spade finesse.

Double looks normal.

Of course double dummy they lead a diamond and you have 2 finesses to take with one entry.

#6 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-09, 08:26

That too, but if I just needed a sub-optimal heart lead I'd be willing to play 3NT. :)

#7 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-09, 12:47

Definitely X
The artist formerly known as jlall

#8 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-09, 16:21

East had Txx of spades; West had AQxx. The lead against 5C was the 3 showing a singleton or a doubleton (low from xx). North has a stiff Q. Is there anything better than hoping to find South with KJ tight in spades?
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#9 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-March-09, 16:56

View Postbroze, on 2015-March-09, 16:21, said:

East had Txx of spades; West had AQxx. The lead against 5C was the 3 showing a singleton or a doubleton (low from xx). North has a stiff Q. Is there anything better than hoping to find South with KJ tight in spades?

There is I think.

Win the diamond, draw trumps and lead a heart, south presumably has 7 hearts and 3 clubs and at least one diamond. If he has a second diamond, he might well return it although should return a heart.

If you think he has 2 spades, cash the heart if it isn't returned and play Ax trying to find him with Kx/KJ if Kx, he can't jettison the K or you simply play towards the 10, and if he keeps it, he's endplayed with it to give you a ruff and discard to dispose of the diamond.

Edit, just realised cashing A is right whether S has stiff K or Kx, playing the A then a spade to the 10 if the K drops or not is the right line.

#10 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-09, 17:42

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-March-09, 16:56, said:

There is I think.

Win the diamond, draw trumps and lead a heart, south presumably has 7 hearts and 3 clubs and at least one diamond. If he has a second diamond, he might well return it although should return a heart.

If you think he has 2 spades, cash the heart if it isn't returned and play Ax trying to find him with Kx/KJ if Kx, he can't jettison the K or you simply play towards the 10, and if he keeps it, he's endplayed with it to give you a ruff and discard to dispose of the diamond.

Edit, just realised cashing A is right whether S has stiff K or Kx, playing the A then a spade to the 10 if the K drops or not is the right line.

Ah yes! Of course if North does have a second diamond and you cash the SA and the King drops you need to endplay South with a diamond - neat! Only losing to the other-worldly AQJTxx KJ xx xxx lol
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#11 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-March-10, 06:25

View Postbroze, on 2015-March-09, 17:42, said:

Ah yes! Of course if North does have a second diamond and you cash the SA and the King drops you need to endplay South with a diamond - neat! Only losing to the other-worldly AQJTxx KJ xx xxx lol

That's not going to happen for 2 reasons, a) that's not a 3 bid b) green v red wouldn't you bid 4 with xxxx, xxx, QJ10xx, x ?

I wasn't intending the diamond endplay although I would also go down on that layout: (spots approximate)

I was just intending to play ace and another spade, if the J comes in I have 3 spade tricks to dispose of the diamond, if it doesn't I don't lose a spade and can give up a diamond.

#12 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-10, 08:09

I was obviously being tongue in cheek. And I am talking about when they return a second diamond when in with the AH. Now you need the diamond endplay.

#13 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-March-10, 10:42

View Postbroze, on 2015-March-10, 08:09, said:

I was obviously being tongue in cheek. And I am talking about when they return a second diamond when in with the AH. Now you need the diamond endplay.

Or you simply lead a low spade from hand without cashing the ace, the K beats air and you have 2 spade tricks and an endplay.

#14 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-March-10, 11:46

Put me down as a doubler also.

This time it didn't work out. But I'll accept that result rather than have to explain to our teammates why we're going down in 3 NT when partner has 4 s and 4 is cold.

#15 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-10, 15:32

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-March-10, 10:42, said:

Or you simply lead a low spade from hand without cashing the ace, the K beats air and you have 2 spade tricks and an endplay.

Except you have already used your only entry to hand to play a heart up...

#16 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-March-10, 19:01

View Postbroze, on 2015-March-10, 15:32, said:

Except you have already used your only entry to hand to play a heart up...

Sorry from dummy, I forgot the weak hand declared, simply leading a small spade away from the ace will do the job if the preempter only has K and hearts left.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users