• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-March-08, 00:26

#2 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-March-08, 02:08

1N seems quite normal to be me, imo West should at least try for game red at imps but what do I know!
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#3 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-08, 04:07

Would have overcalled 1N (although not particularly liked it) and been raised to 3.

Playing the style of overcall I normally play (where the minimum strength is higher than normal) would have bid 2 over 1 rather than 1N, but 1N is normal playing standard methods.

Would have raised 1N to 2 playing standard.

#4 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-08, 05:55

er....1nt would be a major crime on the west cards.

anyway west should raise to game - even if partner just has 8, these hands play very easily when you know where all the cards are.

#5 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-March-08, 15:27

I'm bidding 1 NT on the West cards.

At a minimum, West owes East a raise to 2 NT.

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-March-10, 04:30

It looks to me that West assumed a 1NT response to an overcall is the same as a 1NT reponse to an opening. The only poster here for whom that might be the case is CY and even then I suspect not. Therefore posting this as an ATB seems unnecessary unless a lesson is required. East made a descriptive bid and West passed knowing of 24-27hcp and a good stopper or two in their suit...and we are red at teams! This is clear enough to be unanimous even on BBF if run as a poll!
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#7 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-10, 05:32

GIB needs a feature to tell you whether the beer can be made double-dummy IMO.

#8 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-March-10, 07:11

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-March-10, 04:30, said:

It looks to me that West assumed a 1NT response to an overcall is the same as a 1NT reponse to an opening. The only poster here for whom that might be the case is CY and even then I suspect not. Therefore posting this as an ATB seems unnecessary unless a lesson is required. East made a descriptive bid and West passed knowing of 24-27hcp and a good stopper or two in their suit...and we are red at teams! This is clear enough to be unanimous even on BBF if run as a poll!

I think 24-27 is a little harsh, when playing standardish methods I normally play 8-10 or bad 11, so 23-26.

I evaluated the E hand as a very decent 11, K&R gives it as very nearly 12 (although it is misfitting), so maybe it's a bit good anyway.

Our overcalls are very sound, our opening bids aren't, so we tend to respond to overcalls more or less as if we'd opened for one level overcalls.

#9 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-March-10, 07:46

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-March-10, 07:11, said:

Our overcalls are very sound, our opening bids aren't, so we tend to respond to overcalls more or less as if we'd opened for one level overcalls.

Exactly, that is why I mentioned you as an exception. Since the OP does not mention such an agreement I would expect the 1NT advance to be closer to the traditional 9-12 hcp. My guess (and I could be wrong) is that this West expected 6-9. Playing your methods the question of "blame" might be a reasonable one but in standard I think this is about as clear a case as is possible in a competitive auction.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#10 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-March-10, 08:05

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-March-10, 07:46, said:

Exactly, that is why I mentioned you as an exception. Since the OP does not mention such an agreement I would expect the 1NT advance to be closer to the traditional 9-12 hcp. My guess (and I could be wrong) is that this West expected 6-9. Playing your methods the question of "blame" might be a reasonable one but in standard I think this is about as clear a case as is possible in a competitive auction.

I agree with your main point, but it depends where you were brought up and how you were taught. The traditional adage was "bid opposite an overcall a king stronger than opposite an opener", so 5-8 or 5-bad 9 for 1N over an opening bid +3 would mean that a lot of 12s would be too good, and you'd bid 1N on 8 so I thought suggesting you were more or less guaranteed to be in the game zone was overplaying it.

#11 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-March-23, 12:27

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-March-08, 04:07, said:

Would have overcalled 1N (although not particularly liked it) and been raised to 3.

Playing the style of overcall I normally play (where the minimum strength is higher than normal) would have bid 2 over 1 rather than 1N, but 1N is normal playing standard methods.

Would have raised 1N to 2 playing standard.

How can 1NT be right, could easily wreck it if P has Qx or Jxx of diamonds (or similar)? I would bid 3NT over 1NT, partner is showing something like 8-11 and all our stuff is sitting over and we know where the cards are.

#12 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-March-26, 07:03

View PostKurtGodel, on 2015-March-23, 12:27, said:

How can 1NT be right, could easily wreck it if P has Qx or Jxx of diamonds (or similar)? I would bid 3NT over 1NT, partner is showing something like 8-11 and all our stuff is sitting over and we know where the cards are.

It might not be right, but I have 15-17(18) balanced with a diamond stop, any other sequence says I don't have this which can be useful info, we take this approach with 1N openers and also take it with overcalls.

#13 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2015-March-26, 09:27

100% blame to west who apparently doesn't realize what a 1NT response to his O/C is supposed to show!

#14 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-March-29, 11:15

Beer card still counts, even as the 5th overtrick - Give your beer to teamies and call it even ;)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users