BBO Discussion Forums: Bidding a 4M before a 5m - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bidding a 4M before a 5m after a diamond bid.

#1 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2015-March-07, 00:45

After a strong 2C.

2C-2D-??

a strong C and 1D neg

1C-1D-??

of a strong C and a positive 2D

1C--2D-??

I believe that in all those case its better to play a 4 card major scheme than a 5M scheme.

The 3 suiters and the 4M+5m are just too frequent and bidding 3m instead of 2M consumed too much space. Bidding NT with a stiff is also a source of problems. I even think its possible to play that the NT rebid show a specific range so that hand that do not fall into this range bid are allowed to bid a 4M even if balanced.

You would of course need artificial continuation to differentiate 5M+4m from 4M+5m but my feeling is that its worth it.

Maybe a compromise would be that Spades show 5 and Hearts could be 4.

I also think that 1NT--2D (H transfer) could be 4 is way better than 5+.

What do you think ?
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#2 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2015-March-07, 01:45

After a strong 1 you're absolutely right imo. There's plenty of space for responder to show some amount of support and for opener to clarify if he has 4 or 5+M. And any 2-level contract with a minimum opener and a semipositive responder is usually quite safe.

After a strong 2 I never really thought about it because I play 2 as positive after which 3-3 is a relay asking for a Major and 3M shows 4M-5+. When you play 2 as negative after which 2M shows 4+M, I think you'll run out of space too quickly. And where you can play at 2-level after a strong 1, you'll probably have to play at 3-level without a true fit too often after opening 2 (supposing you'll play 2M as forcing for a round). Moreover, opener has to distinguish between a 5-card and a 6-card more often imo.

Playing 1NT-2 as 4+ is definitely playable. In a sense, it's not even logical to play both Major suit transfers as 5+ cards, because the 2 transfer contains more hands and has less space than the 2 transfer.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#3 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-March-07, 02:04

View PostFree, on 2015-March-07, 01:45, said:

it's not even logical to play both Major suit transfers as 5+ cards, because the 2 transfer contains more hands and has less space than the 2 transfer.

Which is why I remove one hand type (exactly 5 spades invitational) from 2 and put it in 2 instead.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#4 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2015-March-07, 03:15

After a strong 2♣ I never really thought about it because I play 2♦ as positive after which 3♣-3♦ is a relay asking for a Major and 3M shows 4M-5+♦.
Its much easier to do it the otherway around going direct with the singlesuiter and go slow with the 2 suiters. Also the worse space consuming bids (3M) should be for less frequent less important hands like the minors.

2C-2D(Gf)-

2M= always 5
3m= could have 4M
3M= 4M+5D

wich is a scheme that I like but 2C-2D-3C is just painful. Responder cannot show D and doesnt show 6 when he bid 3M. The direct 3M with 4M+5D also often bury responder suit. 5431 and 6421 often play pretty well in the fragment.

VS

2M 4 could have 5m
3m denies 4M (over 3C you can play some sort of switch) 3D=ask for 3M or 6spades, 3H=6H,3S= 6diamonds
3M both minors

because it lead to using 2M more often.

If you take care of the bidding space I think you can have everything, opener should always be able to show 2 suiters and show the longest suit without taking too much space and responder should often be able to guarantee a 6 card suit.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#5 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2015-March-07, 04:52

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-March-07, 02:04, said:

Which is why I remove one hand type (exactly 5 spades invitational) from 2 and put it in 2 instead.

I also like this treatment, but still, there's more than just 1 hand type of extra space available after 2. 1NT-2-2-2 can start all sorts of auctions.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users