• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Slam Bidding Ruling

#1 User is offline   kb49 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-March-06, 10:22

English Bridge Union

I am aware that Gerber is not used by most, if not all, of the best bridge players. They have far better systems at their disposal. Unfortunately I still come across many club players who use their version of Gerber. I was taught many years ago to use Gerber (4)only after a 1NT or 2NT opening by partner. Players are using Gerber after their partner opens with a suit bid. Is this illegal? What action should a Director take if attention is drawn to this bid by their opponents.

There is added confusion to this problem because of the change in EBU regulations that stated that players do not alert bids above 3NT. A recent regulation now states that during the first round of bidding an artificial bid above 3NT should be alerted. Is this Gerber problem common or am I living in a time warp.

#2 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-March-06, 10:31

It's certainly legal, from memory pretty much any game forcing bid is allowed at any time. It is alertable if in the first round (not including passes before the first bid).

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-06, 10:35

Gerber is of course legal. By the way, it is not good disclosure to say "Gerber" if opponents ask what 4 means. It is easy enough to say "asking for aces".

Yes if first-round artificial bids must be alerted then this obviously applies to Gerber as well, as long as it is used in the first round.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-06, 12:25

"Is this illegal?"

No.

"What action should a Director take if attention is drawn to this bid by their opponents."

None, even if called to the table. Well, I suppose he should tell them there's been no irregularity and to carry on.

That people have agreements not in accordance with what you (or anyone) was taught is not illegal.

What Gerber problem? If people follow the rules, what's the problem?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#5 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-06, 12:33

The vast majority of clubs and all EBU events except for specific beginner events are designated Level 4. The only methods regulated at Level 4 are a player’s initial pass, opening bids below 3NT and immediate overcalls.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#6 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2015-March-06, 15:01

I don't think there is a problem per se.

A 4C bid on the first round of bidding has to be alerted - otherwise not. Pairs can agree when, or not, to use Gerber.

In theory there might be UI if one person of the pair thinks the bid is Gerber and the other doesn't - but it is unlikely that this will happen.

1H : 1S: 4C alerted and explained as 'Gerber' - in fact it was intended to show a 7-card club suit and pre-empt 4th from bidding.
4H : X: ? UI suggests this is 2 Aces. AI would say that it shows a strong Heart hand. If the 4C bidder takes the double out they had better have a good reason. (sighing, groaning and then putting down 5C is NOT a good reason:))
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#7 User is offline   Lanor Fow 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-11, 06:35

It's worth noting that the first round of bidding, with regards to alerts, starts from when the first bid is made, rather than the first pass.

p-p-p-1h
p-4c

Would still be alerted if not natural (I realise that a passed hand bidding gerber would be unusual, but a splinter is possible).

#8 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2015-March-11, 16:18

View PostLanor Fow, on 2015-March-11, 06:35, said:

It's worth noting that the first round of bidding, with regards to alerts, starts from when the first bid is made, rather than the first pass.

p-p-p-1h
p-4c

Would still be alerted if not natural (I realise that a passed hand bidding gerber would be unusual, but a splinter is possible).

Yes - should have made that plain - mea culpa.
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#9 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-11, 19:14

The only possible grounds for a ruling or action would be if the opponents fail to alert (if required) or otherwise disclose the nature of the 4 bid, however EBU regs (which I'm not in the slightest familiar with) say to do.

#10 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-12, 12:29

View Postkb49, on 2015-March-06, 10:22, said:

I am aware that Gerber is not used by most, if not all, of the best bridge players. They have far better systems at their disposal. Unfortunately I still come across many club players who use their version of Gerber. I was taught many years ago to use Gerber (4)only after a 1NT or 2NT opening by partner. Players are using Gerber after their partner opens with a suit bid. Is this illegal?

Far from being illegal, it is even recommended by some noted authors in other situations. Marty Bergen advocates it after pre-empts, as does Kantar (also after 1NT and 2NT rebids). Kantar doesn't always refer to it as Gerber, of course.

#11 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-March-12, 21:10

View PostVixTD, on 2015-March-12, 12:29, said:

Far from being illegal, it is even recommended by some noted authors in other situations. Marty Bergen advocates it after pre-empts, as does Kantar (also after 1NT and 2NT rebids). Kantar doesn't always refer to it as Gerber, of course.
Many under-rate Gerber but see Rainbow Gerber

#12 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-13, 08:40

Revolving RKCG, Revolving Exclusion RKCG and Revolving Exclusion 6KCG for the win! The last of these is such a coup you can consider yourself a winner for using it even if you go down. :D
(-: Zel :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users