Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gib's strong bar bid

#1 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-March-06, 06:38

As we know that Gib jump 3 is a bar bid,which usually show 4-6 distributions in and with weak hand.
For this hand,3 just with 10hcp as a bar bid is too strong.
It should be a invitational hand in effect.

#2 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-06, 07:55

View Postlycier, on 2015-March-06, 06:38, said:

As we know that Gib jump 3 is a bar bid,which usually show 4-6 distributions in and with weak hand.

So you think versus 12-14, you think 10 is worth an invite to a 24HCP 3NT.

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-06, 12:55

I agree with OP. This looks better than most flat 11 counts. Agree it is borderline. But either way, passing 1N would be better than signing out in 3C.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-06, 14:38

View Postlycier, on 2015-March-06, 06:38, said:

Clearly, 3C is the worst possible choice. I am fine with it passing 1NT, but at least 2NT would make some sense.

#5 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-06, 14:39

3 on a 4=2=2=5 hand with king empty 5th of clubs? Really GIB?

#6 User is offline   georgi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2015-March-30, 14:47

Included for polishing in v34.

It has holes with that 5m4M shapes which are described as 6-11TP where the 11 could be also 11HCP with bad values in shortness.

#7 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-30, 18:22

Please, please change definition to SIXm4M shapes. This should never be 5 cd m IMO. And 10-TP or something like that.

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-March-31, 07:14

View PostStephen Tu, on 2015-March-30, 18:22, said:

Please, please change definition to SIXm4M shapes. This should never be 5 cd m IMO. And 10-TP or something like that.
Do you feel the same way if the minor is Diamonds, by the way?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#9 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-31, 08:34

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-March-31, 07:14, said:

Do you feel the same way if the minor is Diamonds, by the way?

When partner opens clubs? Yes I feel the same. Although it wouldn't matter for GIB since it doesn't use the Walsh "bypass diamonds" treatment. But it would matter for humans who might have bypassed diamonds not knowing GIB doesn't.

My real preference is for GIB not to play such "bar bids" at all, using them for natural forcing 5-5 or something like that. But if it does play them I'd rather they not bid it on 4-5s, which to me lands in far too many ridiculous 5-2 contracts at the 3 level when 7 tricks in NT is much easier.

#10 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-March-31, 12:26

GIB will never open 1C on a doubleton. Maybe it should, but as it plays you will not end in a 5-2 fit (unless you have psyched as opener of course).

But no, I meant after a 1D opener, which in theory can be on 3 but in practice much less likely, so a bar raise on a 5 card suit has a bit more going for it statistically.

It may still be right to insist on 6.

#11 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-31, 12:44

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-March-31, 12:26, said:

GIB will never open 1C on a doubleton. Maybe it should, but as it plays you will not end in a 5-2 fit (unless you have psyched as opener of course).

But no, I meant after a 1D opener, which in theory can be on 3 but in practice much less likely, so a bar raise on a 5 card suit has a bit more going for it statistically.

It may still be right to insist on 6.

The "bar bid" definition applies when you are bidding the *unbid* minor at the 3 level.

Raising partner's original minor is a completely different animal, because you also have the option of simply bidding TWO of partner's minor. Because GIB plays "NMF" and not some two-way scheme, or 2 always checkback. So arguably if you just want to sign off, you can simply try to buy it lower. And 3m should be invitational (if going through NMF would be forcing).

I don't really think it's best to have 2 different signoffs in partner's minor, and lose one of the forcing/inv raise meanings.

#12 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-March-31, 13:06

Agreed. Brain fart.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users