BBO Discussion Forums: The devil made me bid it... - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The devil made me bid it... QJ98xxxx x x K9xx vul. vs. not after (1H) - (4H)...

Poll: The devil made me bid it... (44 member(s) have cast votes)

What's your call?

1. 4S (20 votes [45.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

2. P (24 votes [54.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 54.55%

3. Close decision (please specify) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   foobar 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-March-06, 01:05

IMPs, Vulnerable vs. not (naturally), LHO deals and the bidding goes 1 - 4.

It's your call.

#2 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-March-06, 02:26

4 spade
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#3 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2015-March-06, 02:58

I will accept E's invitation to 4, assuming that they are bidding a natural system where the jump to 4 shows the preemptive hand. Might pass if they were playing an artificial system where responder would promise the equivalent of an opening bid. I expect opponents will often keep on bidding, but I respect the law of total tricks, but would like better spots where both opponents know each other is strong, and bidding might help them with their slam bidding and play.

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-06, 03:44

View PostBillPatch, on 2015-March-06, 02:58, said:

Might pass if they were playing an artificial system where responder would promise the equivalent of an opening bid.

The LOLs in the Acol Club would be shocked to learn that this 4 response, bidding the game they think they can make, was part of an artificial system. :blink:
(-: Zel :-)

#5 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2015-March-06, 04:18

Pass.

I am assuming reasonable opponents.

Assuming 4H is preemptive: The problem is not, that they may stealing, the issue is,
that partner has a right to expect a little bit more.
And he may raise 4S to 5S or 6S.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#6 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-06, 08:33

I am aware that historically Acol in its glorious period in its heyday back in the 40's used the double jump raise in the major to show a full opening bid with four card support. Before 1960, Terence Reese switched to the preemptive usage, and my understanding is that the other Acol authorities concurred; the full opening bid in support being shown by temporizing in a new suit without a jump, then jumping to game. I play in the US, primarily, but I grew up on the American side of Niagara Falls and sometimes played in Ontario, so my personal experience with Acol players is limited. I am aware that Acol is a natural system, more natural than Goren, which is more natural than modern Standard American and 2 over one game forcing systems.

#7 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-06, 08:36

#8 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-06, 12:52

By the way, I have not yet decided what to do in case I run into an opponent playing old-fashioned Acol. Will decide using the time allotted to "skip bid warning." I hope I can do it in tempo.

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-06, 12:52

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#10 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-06, 13:00

View PostP_Marlowe, on 2015-March-06, 04:18, said:

Pass.

I am assuming reasonable opponents.

Assuming 4H is preemptive: The problem is not, that they may stealing, the issue is,
that partner has a right to expect a little bit more.
And he may raise 4S to 5S or 6S.

Yes, a reasonable Center Hand Opponent might turn unreasonable in the post mortem, after he overestimates the value of his royalty in the red suits, and sees that I have overcalled at the 4 level with this poor six loser hand. Will the rest of our team speak to me after this round is over?

#11 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-06, 13:13

Seeing that the "law" no longer is leading in the poll reminds me that the title of this thread biases the polling. The Good Book says that God ordains the law and the Devil is the chief of the lawbreakers. The tile has it backwards.

#12 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-06, 14:42

totally off topic, but i really hate the poll options
you've split 4S into two different groups and qualified them
let people vote 4S or P, and let them post the qualifiers in the thread
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#13 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-06, 15:48

View Postkuhchung, on 2015-March-06, 14:42, said:

totally off topic, but i really hate the poll options
you've split 4S into two different groups and qualified them
let people vote 4S or P, and let them post the qualifiers in the thread

Not very well expressed, but I think the third option is there for people who think the decision is close.

#14 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-06, 16:28

View Postjallerton, on 2015-March-06, 15:48, said:

Not very well expressed, but I think the third option is there for people who think the decision is close.

I know, but I believe it is almost never good to attach comments next to the poll options. Better to let people make comments in their replies if they want to. Otherwise you may end up with people like me who does not vote, which works against the purpose of poll. Unless of course OP is interested in votes only for the attached reasons.

I bid 4 not only because they might be stealing. We may steal it from them despite the colors with this shape, Or maybe nobody is stealing anything and both sides have too many tricks. I also bid 4 because I prefer declaring with this hand rather than defending. DD it may be a wrong decision while it pays single dummy. All I know is, by declaring, I am more likely to play accurately than by defending.

So if I choose option 1, it would be a misdescription of my reasons. If OP adds all the reasons I have listed, someone else will not vote because it will be a misdescription of his thought process. This is why I believe it is better to not attach anything at all.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#15 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-06, 16:51

View Postjallerton, on 2015-March-06, 15:48, said:

what Timo said, but then the poll should be

clear 4S
close 4S
coin flip
close pass
clear pass
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#16 User is offline   foobar 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-06, 17:25

Editorial comments in the poll removed by popular demand. The additional options sounded good too, but IMO, it isn't fair to those who already voted.

#17 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-06, 17:37

Let me see I have an unlimited opening bid + to my left a p relatively short in hearts yet quiet and the vulnerability is not so good. The spade suit is ok for 4s my main problem is the clubs KQTx and I would think 4s is ok or at least not as scary. There are a huge number of hands where p has values in the reds that are totally useless in 4s and the number we go for is so huge our partners need to take a trip to the bar when they see it. We have all heard that opps 4h is a transfer to 4s if it looks reasonable (sometimes even not so reasonable) and there is indeed some pressure to act with heart shortness but the quiet from p is disturbing if we are thinking of making game. Some day p will hold the spade K and club QJ and 4s will only go down 1 for a great sac (assuming the opps do not bid 6 or 7 hearts that is). That is a pretty small target to cheer for when you are bidding 4s at these colors.

The opps have possibly preempted themselves out of slam. If we come in with our scary 4s bid we just might encourage lho to go slamming if they are either short OR modestly long in spades (since then they will expect responder to be short). Assuming modestly long does not include the AKT ackkkk. That's a whole ton of risk with very little possibility of reward 4s is not for the faint hearted among us and thank goodness I own a lot of anti acid stock after seeing the polling results so far:))))))))))))))))))))))))

#18 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2015-March-06, 18:58

I like how there is 0% of the people think it is a close decision.

In unrelated news:
https://www.youtube....h?v=84A5OQSmvMQ
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#19 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-07, 00:50

I wouldn't put too much faith on the 4H bid being weak. Playing on BBO with an unfamiliar partner it may often be sensible to make the simple 4H bid rather than bidding round the houses and risking confusion. Also, in the words of T Reece, A pre-empt that is known to be weak is a blunt sword.

Anyway, I would probably bid 4S but wouldn't be surprised if I ended up writing -800 on the score card.

#20 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2015-March-07, 01:46

The hand of East for this bidding doesn't have more than 8 points in high cards type x Jxxxx KQJxx xx (12 points MW+Goren+1p. 5th heart+1p. 5th diamond). I use(d) on this bidding the Oklahoma convention=4 meaning i have an ace, 4 with two aces and double jump raising like here with 0 aces and partner if not ultheriorly interested ends in 4 of trump. If S has 13 points or less 4 can be beated.(Lovera)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users