BBO Discussion Forums: Q for those who play wk nt and inv minors - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Q for those who play wk nt and inv minors

#1 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-March-04, 14:11

A question came up in a JEC match.

Opp play wk nt and inv minors.

so after 1d-2d
what do rebids show and range?

#2 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-04, 14:51

Evolution of agreements led us to:

2N - 17+, balanced
3N - 15-16, balanced
new suit, non-jump - second suit, any range
3m - 6 in the minor, usually side singleton, 11-14
new suit, jump - splinter, game forcing
4m - suggests slam in the minor; we didn't want to add it in, but you might consider minorwood

Note that we opened most 5422 or 6322 hands with 12-14hcp and no 5 card major 1N.

Hopefully someone will chime in with K-S standard.

#3 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2015-March-04, 15:12

ok so you show range or real suits not stoppers first?

#4 User is offline   trevahound 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-March-04, 15:15

View Postmike777, on 2015-March-04, 14:11, said:

A question came up in a JEC match.

so after 1d-2d

My nt is 10-13, so after the equivalent auction, 2nt is 14+ balanced and GF, 2M is natural and unbalanced, as is 3 if is our suit (1rndF), and 3m is unbalanced and minimal. Jumps are shortness and generally somewhat slammish. Kickback would be on, if one had that kind of freak. In any case we're forced through 3m.

Cheers,

Brian Zaugg
"I suggest a chapter on "strongest dummy opposite my free bids." For example, someone might wonder how I once put this hand down as dummy in a spade contract: AQ10xxx void AKQxx KQ. Did I start with Michaels? Did I cuebid until partner was forced to pick one of my suits? No, I was just playing with Brian (6S made when the trump king dropped singleton)." David Wright

#5 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-04, 15:17

K-S updated is:
2nt = 15-17 F1 (can pass 3m = responder's min 9 count). Usu 3 cd m, or 4cd m and bad for play in m slam.
3nt = 18-19 3cd minor only
3m = distributional min NF
new suit= stopper, 4+ in m, F to 3nt/4m. responder should bid 2nt/3m with minimums.

#6 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2015-March-04, 17:30

There's no need for science.

2NT = 15+ bal game forcing
3D = min unbalanced single-suited
new suit = natural unbalanced, any range (forcing to 3D)

With a game forcing single suiter opener splinters

#7 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-04, 23:22

We played MPs more than IMPs.

We decided that, with balanced hands, it's best to hide stopper problems and play in NT. We don't know if we're missing a stopper, but they might not know either. Chances are that if one defender or the other has a hand that leads to a potential stopper problem, they would've overcalled. If the stopper problem is split, they might not even lead the suit, especially at MPs where one is wary of leading away from scattered honors.

For an unbalanced hand, there might be situations where one would lie and bid the 3 card suit in a 5431 hand, say with xxxx AQx KQxxx x; this is not just to get stopper information right, but also to get potential slam evaluation right.

#8 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2015-March-05, 03:47

When playing IM in a strong-notrump system, you have to agree whether the double raise wants to be in game opposite 18-19 (i.e. 6-10 or maybe a little narower) or if it is a pure preempt (0-5(6)).

In a weak-nt system it seems to me that the double raise will often torture partner unless it is very weak, say 0-5. Which would give the single raise a very wide range, say (6)7+. But maybe that would be just about playable:
3m is minimum.
2NT is 15+. Responder bids 3m with a minimum.

Other bids show values in the suit bid and will not be a dead minimum. Could be 6331 with 14-16 or thereabout. Responder will now always bid 3m with a minimum but can bid something else with a semipositive.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#9 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-05, 04:07

View Posthelene_t, on 2015-March-05, 03:47, said:

In a weak-nt system it seems to me that the double raise will often torture partner unless it is very weak, say 0-5. Which would give the single raise a very wide range, say (6)7+. But maybe that would be just about playable:

Another solution in a weak-NT system is to play the double raise as a bit stronger than this, and to use 2NT instead to show the real junk raise of say, 0-5.

#10 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-05, 09:07

View PostWellSpyder, on 2015-March-05, 04:07, said:

Another solution in a weak-NT system is to play the double raise as a bit stronger than this, and to use 2NT instead to show the real junk raise of say, 0-5.

We do the reverse of this, it's a trade off wrongsiding NT v getting there fast with the real rubbish.

But the most important thing to sort out before building a rebid structure is what an inverted minor is. Can it contain 4M ? and GF or F1 ?

#11 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-March-05, 09:53

View Postmike777, on 2015-March-04, 14:11, said:

so after 1d-2d

If the opponents are playing this system, you should just ask them what their bids mean.

#12 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-March-05, 10:13

It is a matter of agreement and there are pretty much as many different structures around as in a strong NT system. One fairly simple one is for the first step to be any balanced hand (GF) and all others to be unbalanced. The only non-forcing bid below 3NT is then when Opener shows an unbalanced hand and either player bids 3m.
(-: Zel :-)

#13 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-05, 17:23

I prefer the double raise to show 0-7, and jump shift in the other minor shows 8-9.

#14 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-March-05, 17:32

I do this, and also play a rebid (after the single raise) of the next step to show an unbalanced GF. Other rebids as per Frances' post above.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#15 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-05, 21:06

I've never played this, but I've heard of people playing non-jump suit bids after an inverted minor raise as ASKING for a stopper in that suit. I don't like it myself, but it strikes me as sane, especially in a weak NT context where a balanced hand is automatically good enough for game, and for an unbalanced hand, the information partner frequently needs to know most (whether for considering 3N or 6m) is where your singleton is.

#16 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-March-06, 03:18

View Postakwoo, on 2015-March-05, 21:06, said:

I've never played this, but I've heard of people playing non-jump suit bids after an inverted minor raise as ASKING for a stopper in that suit. I don't like it myself, but it strikes me as sane, especially in a weak NT context where a balanced hand is automatically good enough for game, and for an unbalanced hand, the information partner frequently needs to know most (whether for considering 3N or 6m) is where your singleton is.

I have played this but came over to the view that stoppers are of secondary importance since often just knowing Opener is balanced is enough to place the contract. I still believe in stopper asks over stopper shows generally though in a range of auctions, primarily to deal with the 2 suits, 2 bids but no ask scenario (eg the last bid was 3 and we hold no major suit stopper but partner has both).
(-: Zel :-)

#17 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-09, 11:35

I played that in one system (but in a strong NT, G/F single raise context). Bidding a suit showed stoppers in the other two; bidding 3m showed two suits open; NT showed (at least partial) stoppers across the board.

Didn't have a problem with it (except when one of us forgot); didn't keep it for any other partnership.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#18 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-March-10, 10:48

View PostStephen Tu, on 2015-March-04, 15:17, said:

K-S updated is:
2nt = 15-17 F1 (can pass 3m = responder's min 9 count). Usu 3 cd m, or 4cd m and bad for play in m slam.
3nt = 18-19 3cd minor only
3m = distributional min NF
new suit= stopper, 4+ in m, F to 3nt/4m. responder should bid 2nt/3m with minimums.

I play KS this way.

The only thing I'd add is that a new suit shows extras as responder can be as low as 10 HCP. 3 of opener's minor also guarantees at least 4+ cards. Normally it's 5+, but could be 4 if opener opened a 4-4-4-1 hand.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users