• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Double and "raise" EBU

#61 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-March-06, 15:41

Isn't the fact that RHO choose to accept the 3 bid authorised information? That suggests to me that he would prefer to defend game rather than a part score, hence making a 4 bid more attractive.

#62 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-06, 16:48

View Postjallerton, on 2015-March-06, 15:41, said:

Isn't the fact that RHO choose to accept the 3 bid authorised information? That suggests to me that he would prefer to defend game rather than a part score, hence making a 4 bid more attractive.

It is also authorised that he chose to accept it knowing that if he did not the person making an IB would correct to 4S. His only chance to keep us out of game was to accept 3S; however LAs are not determined with reference to the opponent's actions. We should poll say 10 people, playing the same methods (and the only legal agreement of the raise of 3S to 3S is "no agreement") and of the same ability, and establish whether they bid 4S or not; we do tell them that 3S was accepted, of course. I cannot imagine anyone passing. We do not tell them, of course, that partner tried to change it to 4S.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#63 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-06, 17:44

View Postjallerton, on 2015-March-06, 15:41, said:

I think the fact that RHO accepted 3 is authorised, but that information alone doesn't necessarily help. We can't tell from AI whether RHO accepted the IB to stop partner substituting 4 or to stop him substituting a pass -- only the UI from partner's withdrawn call tells us which. (I agree with Lamford, though, that pass isn't an LA whatever.)

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users