• You cannot reply to this topic

Too Much

#1 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-March-03, 12:15

My link

Matchpoints, ACBL robot individual

In all the 2/1 partnerships in which I have played North's sequence describes 1 of only 2 possible hands:

1. No more than 6 total points, exactly 3-card support
2. 6-9 HCP, exactly 2 s

With North's hand in the display, the agreed-upon sequence has always been to rebid 3 after the initial 1NT response, showing 10-12 and 3-card support. This treatment shows up in all the documentation going back to the original Kaplan-Sheinwold system book (1958) and is in the most recent version of the Encyclopedia of Bridge.

Careful reading of the notes makes it possible to get to the right spot on this hand. However, how does North bid the two hands I've detailed under 1. and 2. above in the BBO implementation of 2/1? Must North pass 2? Or is North just never dealt those hands?

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-March-03, 12:27

View Postuva72uva72, on 2015-March-03, 12:15, said:

With North's hand in the display, the agreed-upon sequence has always been to rebid 3 after the initial 1NT response, showing 10-12 and 3-card support. This treatment shows up in all the documentation going back to the original Kaplan-Sheinwold system book (1958) and is in the most recent version of the Encyclopedia of Bridge.

I'd have to look for an example, but I'm pretty sure that GIB's definition of a limit raise (either direct or through 1N, depending on support) is 11-12 total points, not 10-12.

Edit: Nope, I'm wrong.
and

GIB's definition of a simple raise is "3+; 7-10 total points". If your given hand is not a limit raise, it should be a simple raise.

This post has been edited by Bbradley62: 2015-March-03, 14:33

#3 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-March-03, 14:10

BBO's single raise has a higher upper limit than I think is standard. Accepting that, there are in BBO's implementation of 2/1:

- Two ways to bid a hand with 8-10 and 3-card support (1NT followed by 2 OR raise to 2 directly)
- One way to bid a hand with 7 and 3+-card support (raise to 2 directly)
- No way to bid a hand with 6 and 3+-card support or with a balanced 6-9 and a doubleton in opener's major, except perhaps to pass opener's rebid whatever your holding in that suit.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users