BBO Discussion Forums: Playing "expert standard" acbl 2/1 - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Playing "expert standard" acbl 2/1 strong 2 club auction with jump after interference

Poll: Playing "expert standard" acbl 2/1 (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Your call should be:

1. 3nt (11 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. 4C (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 4D (0 votes [0.00%])

4. 4H (1 votes [4.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

5. 4S (10 votes [45.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

6. 4nt (0 votes [0.00%])

7. other (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-March-01, 15:59

If it matters, you are playing IMP teams.

#2 User is offline   foobar 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-March-01, 16:44

View PostMbodell, on 2015-March-01, 15:59, said:

If it matters, you are playing IMP teams.

Do we have any agreements on the differences between 2 and 3 (given that both should be forcing opposite a pass)? Does the latter set the trump suit and demand a cue bid?

If it demands a cue, I might try 4 assuming we are bidding both first and second round controls. If it's not a random BBO "expert", pard should be sensible enough to realize that it denies minor suit control and won't launch into orbit without using RKC, etc. when appropriate.

#3 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-01, 17:13

View Postfoobar, on 2015-March-01, 16:44, said:

Do we have any agreements on the differences between 2 and 3 (given that both should be forcing opposite a pass)? Does the latter set the trump suit and demand a cue bid?

If it demands a cue, I might try 4 assuming we are bidding both first and second round controls. If it's not a random BBO "expert", pard should be sensible enough to realize that it denies minor suit control and won't launch into orbit without using RKC, etc. when appropriate.

We play many normalish expert standard treatments like italian style cues, non-serious 3nt, splinters, etc. We are in a game force, so 2 would have been spades. An auction with no opponent bidding like 2-2-3 would have set trump and demanded cuing.

#4 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-01, 17:14

On this hand, it feels like 3NT would be sort of a safety play. There are unfortunately three possible interpretations of the bid though (depending partnership agreement):

1. Suggesting to play 3NT. Probably the least likely meaning. Nonetheless with a huge stack of hearts it is imaginable that 3NT is not a bad spot.
2. Showing a bad hand in context (non-serious) but not bad enough to bid 4. Seems to describe what we have. Will cue 4 if partner cue bids over this.
3. Denying a first-round control. Hey we have that too! Again will cue 4 next if given the chance.

I'd be concerned that 4 sounds like some more useful slam hand like xxx Axxx Qxx xxx and may cause partner to keycard when we don't have five-level safety (for example).
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#5 User is offline   foobar 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-01, 18:49

View PostMbodell, on 2015-March-01, 17:13, said:

We play many normalish expert standard treatments like italian style cues, non-serious 3nt, splinters, etc. We are in a game force, so 2 would have been spades. An auction with no opponent bidding like 2-2-3 would have set trump and demanded cuing.

In context of the bidding agreements (specifically non-serious 3N), 3N seems to be the best hedge here. If pard passes, it should be playable contract and we can bid 4 if pard cue bids a minor.

#6 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-01, 23:47

4s

no problem yet.

#7 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-March-02, 00:20

To me, 3 sets as trump and suggests that opener probably doesn't want to play below 4 . With RHO opponent bidding , it's not clear much how the KQJx are worth. You do have a potential ruffing value in . You'd be more excited if the KQJx were in s.

At this point, I think 4 is right.

#8 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-March-02, 00:22

Could my hearts be the key to slam opposite something like AKQJxxx x AQ AQx?

Assuming 3 shows a solid suit 3N should probably be a bunch of quacks and an offer to play. But if it's some sort of non serious it seems ideal.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#9 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2015-March-02, 05:01

Given partner almost certainly will be short in hearts, making slam tries here is a distinct overbid. I bid 4S.

#10 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-02, 05:06

View Postmr1303, on 2015-March-02, 05:01, said:

Given partner almost certainly will be short in hearts, making slam tries here is a distinct overbid. I bid 4S.

Yes I think that's right, we have shown a non-bust already and that is pretty much what we have.

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-02, 09:36

To me 3 sets the trump. Thus playing 3 NT as an offer to play is not the optimum use of this bid.
Any new suit is a cue, 3 NT is quacks as Phil said but better than 4, which can not cue. 4 is the worst hand possible, especially after we already said we are better than bust. In this context I can go with either of 3 NT or 4 I prefer 4 because my quacks are not gonna be useful for pd most of the time. Of course it depends on the hand he holds, but I do not feel guilty since I already said I have at least some quacks.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#12 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-23, 12:34

I will bid 4, because that's what I have. Would be unfortunate if partner had a solid hand apart from two little hearts, in which case slam won't make, but they haven't led AH yet.

Whilst I appreciate our hand isn't great, we have 2 heart tricks, a potentially useful doubleton in diamonds, and an entry in spades (probably). We could have a lot less than this.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users