BBO Discussion Forums: cue bid in response to double should usu be both M - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

cue bid in response to double should usu be both M

#1 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-February-27, 19:45

Shouldn't East simply bid 2 instead of cue bidding, holding only one major? I feel like cue bidding then bidding spades should be reserved for stronger hands than this range.

#2 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2015-February-28, 01:28

Sorry, but the cue bid is nothing in comparison to the original double. That double is truely shocking.

#3 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-28, 06:19

View PostStephen Tu, on 2015-February-27, 19:45, said:

I feel like cue bidding then bidding spades should be reserved for stronger hands than this range.
He's a passed hand... how much stronger could he be?

#4 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-28, 11:16

Yeah the double isn't great either. Maybe GIB has bean counter algorithms and refuses to overcall with "18+ total points"? I agree adjusting this upward would be nice.

As for the cue bid thing, do we really have GIB have significantly different rules as passed hand vs. non-passed hand? If you want to say UPH bids 2 while PH bids 2 followed by 2 and direct 2 promise 5 cds, I suppose I could be OK with that. But I have a feeling GIB likes to cue bid regardless. I see a lot of hands posted here where in response to takeout dbl GIB cue bids to show power instead of just bidding the one major it has at an appropriate level.

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-28, 11:40

Make East a non-passed hand, how would you define the strength of 2S in response to the double? Sorry, you have to express it in terms of distribution, HCP and TP
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#6 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-28, 12:25

I would define 2 as 4+ , 3-, 8+HCP, 10-12 total points.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users