Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3S or 4S

#1 User is offline   UdcaDenny 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-February-26, 23:19

Playing 2 over 1 I open 1NT with 16p and a 5card suit. My P transfer to and then bid 2. As there is a good fit I jump to 4 which he passed and we missed slam. He said 3 would have been a stronger bid but I thought that would be inviting game as he could have only 8points. What is the standard bidding in this case as we hadnt agreed how to bid.

#2 User is offline   lowerline 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-27, 03:56

View PostUdcaDenny, on 2015-February-26, 23:19, said:

Playing 2 over 1 I open 1NT with 16p and a 5card suit. My P transfer to and then bid 2. As there is a good fit I jump to 4 which he passed and we missed slam. He said 3 would have been a stronger bid but I thought that would be inviting game as he could have only 8points. What is the standard bidding in this case as we hadnt agreed how to bid.

2 is an invite. With a stronger hand your partner should have started with Stayman.

S.

#3 User is offline   UdcaDenny 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-27, 04:40

View Postlowerline, on 2015-February-27, 03:56, said:

2 is an invite. With a stronger hand your partner should have started with Stayman.

S.

Forgot to say we use puppetstayman if that make any difference

#4 User is offline   lowerline 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-27, 05:03

View PostUdcaDenny, on 2015-February-27, 04:40, said:

Forgot to say we use puppetstayman if that make any difference

If you mean 3 as Puppet Stayman together with 2 as Stayman, it doesn't make a difference. If you mean 2 as Puppet Stayman instead of Stayman, it does make a difference. In the latter case standard bidding will not help you and you need advice from fellow "2 Puppet Stayman" bidders on how to bid with 5-4 in the majors. Frankly, I don't know how they do it. That is one of the reasons I don't play that convention myself.

S.

#5 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-February-27, 05:52

View Postlowerline, on 2015-February-27, 03:56, said:

S.

That is a common agreement, but it isn't universal. Many play 1NT-2; 2-2 as invitational (45) and non-forcing, some play it as forcing to game with 55, others play it as invitational (45) or better, forcing for one round.

I think it is a generally a good idea in these forums to assume that partner didn't misbid. (Otherwise it is easy to pinpoint the mistake.) In a similar way, it is good to assume that there was no disagreement about basic agreements (another trivial way to lose at bridge).

So, let's assume that 2 was

A ) forcing for one round, invitational or better
Opener needs to show that he accepts the invitation and that he has an excellent hand. A cuebid of 4m does the trick. This presumably cannot be a cue in support of hearts. If opener would have had an excellent hand for hearts, he would have super accepted the transfer to hearts. Alternatively, one could assign meanings to 3/ as "too good to simply bid 4/".

B ) Game forcing
Simply bid 3. It is stronger than 4.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#6 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-February-27, 05:58

3H / 3S are certainly NF, unless the seq. used by your p was already gf,
those bids simply show the fit.
One could use 3C / 3D as strong raises for responders major.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users