• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Two hands

#1 User is online   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-February-26, 15:28

Hand . Club game, matchpoints.

Sitting South, I wouldn't mind doubling 2S for pnalties. It could go wrong, but still I wouldn't mind. I passed, we beat it two tricks it was decent score, 5 out of 7 mps, as apparently some NS pairs played unsuccessfully in hearts.Anyway, I wass thinking that whether wise or not, doubling 2S really should be for penalties since e I had passed up the opportunit to double 1S for take-out.

But then I remembered this recent hand. Again am South.

BBO, imps.

I am not going to try to justify me double here at IMPS although we did beat it one. My 2S, rather than 3S, over partner's double was remembering he passed first time. So I have extras, but still it is imps.
Anyway, the reason I bring this up is because of similarity with the first hand. I pose the general question:

the bidding goes
1M-P-2M-P
P-X
What is X?
Does it matter whether M is H or S?

Of course on the second hand all I had to do is look at my own hand to figure out partner's intent, but these two hands seem to present an argument for either way of playing it.
Ken

#2 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2015-February-26, 15:58

Isn't it one of those doubles which meaning is known to partner when he checks his hand?

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#3 User is online   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-26, 16:09

It could well be that partner is just supposed to look at his hand and figure out the meaning. This was easy enough on hand 2 and, on hand 1 when partner notices he doesn't have any spades he could probably work it out also.Maybe that's the answer. Double for take out on hand 2, double for penalty on hand 1.
Ken

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-26, 17:17

Here in England, opps could have anywhere from 7 to 11 cards in their fit so partner can't always see it. Playing against five card majorites who play Bergen he usually can.

But I would say that these delayed doubles are t/o but how far does it go? Probably on 3 it still is. Anyone for a penalty double on 3 in the same situation?

Fantoni-Nunes once had this double
(2)-pass-(3)-pass
(pass)-dbl

it turned out to be a 4333 12-count and that seems backwards to me unless you really trust that p can read your exact trump length?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users