Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's Your Bid?

#1 User is offline   masonbarge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-February-25, 11:41

An actual hand from a BBO Bot Matchpoint tournament.

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-February-25, 13:03

5 would be intending to ask stopper. Not sure if a stopper will be enough for slam or if 5 is save. But I have a feeling we won't be let to play only 4 anyway,

We can settle in 4. especially at MP.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-25, 13:16

What do you do with a monster with long hearts and a diamond control, if 5 shows a monster without one? 5?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is online   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-February-25, 14:03

Mps, the decision is easy...don't go chasing questionable slams at the risk of a minus score. Given that it is relatively easy to come up with layouts on which even game fails, bidding beyond the 4-level at mps is borderline insane.

Jumping to 4 shows a good hand...no pre-empt over a pre-empt, so there is a tiny, tiny chance that we can still reach slam if partner has a magic hand.

At imps, it is tougher. However, the doubleton diamond would persuade me not to go chasing the moonbeam that is partner having both a diamond control (not Kxx) and the spade K, and nothing weird happening (Jxxx in hearts in LHO).

I think that we will probably buy the hand, due to my diamond length. If not, we have an interesting situation.

I think that we have created a forcing pass by our jump....if you jump with say x KQJ10xxxx x KQx, then too bad....it is a cost of doing business when you would make the same call with a monster and with a weaker freak.

If partner doubles, I respect the action...that is the weakest action he can have, and we start life with 2 diamond losers most of the time.

If he passes, that is the strongest action, and I bid slam.

If he bids 5.....hmmm.....he might be bidding on my 'marked' diamond shortness if LHO is putting the boots to us with a good tactical call...so it is dangerous to bid slam. But....but....well....I'd hate to be in an online event, with or without robots.....because I'd want to be at the table.....I am inclined, against solid citizens, to bid slam at imps and pass at mps.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users