BBO Discussion Forums: Sanity Check - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sanity Check

#1 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-February-23, 06:28

Swiss Teams. IMPs converted to VPs.

2/1 game forcing.

#2 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-23, 07:16

"glp, sorry I am a club light"
(-: Zel :-)

#3 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-23, 07:24

Anything other than pass seems inconceivable. Even ignoring fast arrival, partner is just bidding what he thinks he can make.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#4 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-23, 07:27

I'd bid 6. Partner clearly has a lot of shape, but minimum high cards and poor controls.

Putting that together I expect slam to be good most of the time and possibly laydown, but there are no guarantees in an auction like this.

#5 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-February-23, 10:14

Interesting. A couple of posters think this is a pass, while PhilKing will bid 6.

My partner passed, and it was wrong. Here is the full hand:

Our cue bidding style is Neanderthal, meaning aces first. So I had no cue bid available over 3. Still, I thought that a jump to 5 after making a game forcing 2/1 described my hand pretty well - an overwhelming club suit with nothing to cue bid, but no desire to play 3NT.

Quite frankly, a grand on these cards is not unreasonable. You only need 4-3 hearts, and there are some other chances.

The other table never sniffed at slam, playing in 3NT.

I think that opener, with 3 aces and what rates to be a useful shortness, should bid one more. Opener could certainly have a far less useful hand - for example, the hearts could be KQJxx rather than ATxxx, and the spades could be KJx rather than Axx. But I would be interested to hear from others.

#6 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2015-February-23, 10:35

Hi,

6C.

If it does not make, shoot partner.

Sry, but 5C does not exist, there are lots of bids between 3C and 5C,
opener is unlimited, why kill space.

With kind regards
Marlowe

PS: After seening the partners hand, what is wrong with 3D.
Why rule out 3NT?
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#7 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-23, 10:36

ArtK78, on 2015-February-23, 10:14, said:

Our cue bidding style is Neanderthal, meaning aces first.

That might have been helpful information. The lack of cuebid or minorwood or whatever, suggested that partner was not particularly interested in slam. Maybe the method is bad .. or maybe my thinking was just bad. To me a jump straight to game in a 2/1 auction is a signoff and not a slam try, but perhaps this was an opportunity to think outside the box.

Anyway, a 3 cuebid by north would really simplify reaching slam here, for me at least.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#8 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-February-23, 10:44

ArtK78, on 2015-February-23, 10:14, said:

Interesting. A couple of posters think this is a pass, while PhilKing will bid 6.

My partner passed, and it was wrong. Here is the full hand:

Our cue bidding style is Neanderthal, meaning aces first. So I had no cue bid available over 3. Still, I thought that a jump to 5 after making a game forcing 2/1 described my hand pretty well - an overwhelming club suit with nothing to cue bid, but no desire to play 3NT.

Quite frankly, a grand on these cards is not unreasonable. You only need 4-3 hearts, and there are some other chances.

The other table never sniffed at slam, playing in 3NT.

I think that opener, with 3 aces and what rates to be a useful shortness, should bid one more. Opener could certainly have a far less useful hand - for example, the hearts could be KQJxx rather than ATxxx, and the spades could be KJx rather than Axx. But I would be interested to hear from others.

I would have passed 5.

I don't find your explanation or PK's reasoning to be persuasive, since wild horses could not have made me bid 5 with your hand, notwithstanding that systemically I wasn't permitted to cuebid.

What the heck would have been wrong with 4?

Please, please don't tell me that not only have you barred yourself from cuebidding absent a 1st round control, but you have also barred yourself from showing a slam-interested hand with no cue-bid? If you choose to play minorwood here, then, with all respect, you and partner have not given this situation much thought.

When partner signs off in an auction in which he had lots and lots of room to describe his hand, then I am not taking any further action unless I have significant undisclosed values. Yes, I will be puzzled by what hand thinks that bidding 5 makes sense, but since I know he cannot have the hand you held, nor any hand that makes slam good opposite 3 Aces, I will trust him.

If I was asked to fill in for a player who was silly enough to play a method that prohibits cuebidding absent a 1st round control AND played minorwood, I might bid 6 However, I would never agree to play with anyone who advocated those methods, since I don't like intentionally playing silly methods. The old-fashioned cuebidding is bad, but survivable....adding minorwood isn't.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#9 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-23, 12:22

I pass as well and would never consider 5 on the actual hand!
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#10 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2015-February-23, 12:26

I agree with almost everything that Mike says, except that if I had the responding hand and had to choose between 5 and a 4 Keycard-ask, I'd bid the Keycard ask.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#11 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-23, 13:17

With this pluperfect 3 aces, trump Q and possible ruffing value wild horses could not keep me from bidding 6c. Having said that I do not understand at all why the N hand would not like to play NT. The overwhelming majority of normal opening bids will make 4n far far far more often than they will make 5c (assuming the partnership agrees that 3n is feasible via the bidding). Worst case scenario this hand should be more than willing to investi- gate 3n and then issue a mild slam try of 4c. A typical sequence 1h 2c 3c 3d 3n 4c should get us to 6 easily enough yet still leave us with a vastly more practical 4n vs 5c if we do not bid slam.

#12 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-February-23, 14:11

Guess I'm just a basher also. I'd bid 6 .

Would you expect partner to make any kind of slam try missing all the outside 1st round controls AND the trump Q? No! Yet partner has contracted to play 5 only knowing that we have support. Partner likely has long s, but even with AKJxxxx partner needs something else to make the 2/1 GF bid. With 4 sure tricks for partner versus the 2 or 3 partner might expect for the 5 bid, I think it's right to go on.

#13 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-23, 14:23

Pass and detest 5.

#14 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-23, 14:37

I really don't understand 5.

I would be torn between 4 and 3 (which is not a cuebid). It would have never occurred to me to bid 5.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#15 User is offline   dave_beer 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-February-24, 01:15

Partner's auction doesn't make a lot of sense unless he has a void (I would expect it to be in ) and two fast losers in one of the other suits. He doesn't want to show his featured side suit because he is afraid it will give the opponents the information they need to beat game. My construction is something like xx-(void)-QJTx-AKJxxxx.

So I bid 6 hoping we are on the same wavelength.

#16 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-24, 02:55

I really hate the 5 bid as well. But we need to remember that in the context of cue bid style of OP, it is not as bad as it looks imo and he made this bid in this context. Had we known this was the cuebid style, as he knew at the table, perhaps some of us could predict this type of hand for 5 bid.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#17 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-24, 04:40

gnasher, on 2015-February-23, 12:26, said:

I agree with almost everything that Mike says, except that if I had the responding hand and had to choose between 5 and a 4 Keycard-ask, I'd bid the Keycard ask.

mikeh, on 2015-February-23, 10:44, said:

I would have passed 5.
When partner signs off in an auction in which he had lots and lots of room to describe his hand, then I am not taking any further action unless I have significant undisclosed values. Yes, I will be puzzled by what hand thinks that bidding 5 makes sense, but since I know he cannot have the hand you held, nor any hand that makes slam good opposite 3 Aces, I will trust him.

I think this attitude is wrong.
We are playing Bridge. I might not like the 5 bid, but this can not mean I refuse to cooperate.
Partner must have a hand where he expects 5 to be the right level opposite most club raises.
Your hand is extraordinary.
Philking put it nicely why you should raise

Rainer Herrmann

#18 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Football, Coaching, Family, Writing

Posted 2015-February-24, 05:56

TylerE, on 2015-February-23, 14:23, said:

Pass and detest 5.

BINGO!!
The issue heer is the 5 bid, not the Pass!

#19 User is offline   daffydoc 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-24, 06:02

6C is wishful thinking - 5C does not suggest slam in any way - since u have no room to cue bid gien your style - bid 4C and give pard a chance to cue. Over 4C 4d (still no ace to cue) 5C now 6C is reasonable given that you went slow and are asking for pards input - 5C is a big STOP sign. daffydoc

#20 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-24, 07:28

daffydoc, on 2015-February-24, 06:02, said:

6C is wishful thinking - 5C does not suggest slam in any way - since u have no room to cue bid gien your style - bid 4C and give pard a chance to cue. Over 4C 4d (still no ace to cue) 5C now 6C is reasonable given that you went slow and are asking for pards input - 5C is a big STOP sign. daffydoc

How can this be true?
Partner forced to game over a wide ranging opening bid with regard to strength and distribution.
He got a raise, which has no upper limit since we are in a game forcing situation already.
How can partner force to game and when he gets a raise know 5 is the limit?

There is no such thing as a stop sign after this bidding and there is no rule in bridge that slams may only be bid after cue-bidding.
The 5 bid simply says he is at the lower limit for his game force and not very suitable for slam.
Surprise, surprise when we hold all side aces and the queen of trumps.

Rainer Herrmann

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users