BBO Discussion Forums: 1 NT or 1 Spade? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 NT or 1 Spade? 2/1 ACBL

Poll: 1 NT or ! Spade? (41 member(s) have cast votes)

Ope=ning bid?

1. 1 NT (3 votes [7.32%])

Percentage of vote: 7.32%

2. 1 Spade (38 votes [92.68%])

Percentage of vote: 92.68%

After opening 1 Spade how do you continue if partner bids 1NT?

1. 3 Clubs (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2 Clubs (40 votes [97.56%])

Percentage of vote: 97.56%

3. something else (1 votes [2.44%])

Percentage of vote: 2.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-February-25, 08:08

dickiegera, on 2015-February-23, 16:20, said:

This was the East hand.
Playing 2/1 and 1NT forcing how does one get to a 4 Heart contract unless it is opened 1NT?

Am I the only one who thinks that this is a very comfortable 2 response playing 2/1?

It looks a lot stronger than hands such as

that I expect most would happily respond at the two level.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#22 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-25, 08:58

aguahombre, on 2015-February-25, 07:51, said:

This will be valuable information for your partner, if you ever agree to play 2/1 methods.

When you open and then rebid to show 5-3-3-2 and 18-19, you won't have 5-3-3-2 and 18-19.
And when, as responder, you show 10-12 HCP and a good 6-card heart suit (via 1NT forcing followed by 3H), you won't have 10-12 HCP and a good 6-card heart suit.

A matter of philosphie.
The objective of bidding is to arrive at the best contract with the least amount of information exchanged.
It is not telling everything valuable you can to the defense so that they guess better on the right opening lead and defense.

Rainer Herrmann

#23 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-25, 09:32

It truly is a matter of philosophy. Either you have a system and use it, or you have a system and don't use it, or you don't have one at all.

I don't care which you choose; I do care which my partner chooses. I would like to know that when it goes:

1S-1N
2N-? and I hold a routine 7-count..what I should do. But, that's just me preferring that partner at least allow enough leakage that I have a clue what he holds.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#24 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-25, 11:37

rhm, on 2015-February-25, 04:48, said:

In my opinion the hand is too good for a 1NT opening
Accordingly the bidding should go:

1-1NT
2NT--4

I see little point in pussyfooting around with a 2 rebid.
I would not object to a 2 response (game forcing) instead of 1NT. in fact I like it.

Rainer Herrmann

So you would sell a 16 HCP unbalanced hand as an 18-19 HCP balanced hand? And you consider bidding your suits pussyfooting?

Wouldn't it be fun if responder's clubs and hearts were interchanged? Or is responder supposed to bid 5 then (instead of the obvious raise to 3NT)?

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#25 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2015-February-25, 13:59

paulg, on 2015-February-25, 08:08, said:

Am I the only one who thinks that this is a very comfortable 2 response playing 2/1?

It looks a lot stronger than hands such as

that I expect most would happily respond at the two level.

You are right, of course about the difference in the two hands. But, that doesn't make either one of them a 2/1 game force response. The OP hand, because a two-step 3H bid IMO is the textbook description; and your example, because it is a textbook example of NOT game forcing opposite today's normal opening 1S bids.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#26 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-February-25, 14:27

I'm a big believer in opening this hand 1N. All my values are positional and I'm easily within range. I also don't leak a lot of information as we head toward a likely 3N or 4.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#27 User is offline   biggerclub 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-February-25, 18:59

dickiegera, on 2015-February-23, 16:20, said:

This was the East hand.
Playing 2/1 and 1NT forcing how does one get to a 4 Heart contract unless it is opened 1NT?

With 6 losers opposite an opening hand, I am forcing game from my first bid. 1- 2 and we go from there.

#28 User is offline   biggerclub 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-February-25, 19:19

aguahombre, on 2015-February-25, 13:59, said:

You are right, of course about the difference in the two hands. But, that doesn't make either one of them a 2/1 game force response. The OP hand, because a two-step 3H bid IMO is the textbook description; and your example, because it is a textbook example of NOT game forcing opposite today's normal opening 1S bids.

I dunno about that. I can live with a void opposite, I am more than fine with a singleton, and, of course ecstatic with a doubleton.

#29 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-26, 03:07

Phil, on 2015-February-25, 14:27, said:

I'm a big believer in opening this hand 1N. All my values are positional and I'm easily within range. I also don't leak a lot of information as we head toward a likely 3N or 4.

I like it when I have heart suit but not as much when I have spades.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users