BBO Discussion Forums: Opponents have only 14pts between them, and yet... - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Opponents have only 14pts between them, and yet...

#1 User is offline   snowdragen 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-February-22, 01:07

I don't see a way to reliably deal with their 3 bid.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 3NT appears to lose to a club lead. 4 I'm not so sure about, but having to draw trumps 4 times seems to cripple to rest of the hand. In the actual game, South passed, and the contract became 3, which made.

Is there any hope? Or is this just one of those gimmick hands with whack distribution that's set up to fail?

#2 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-February-22, 01:52

3nt from the N will make double dummy.

But really, not every good game makes. But if S bid 3nt, you may well see hearts attacked not clubs. If you go down, it happens (but it is better than letting them make 3).

#3 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-February-22, 02:34

if anyone should move it's North - south has already shown their hand
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#4 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-22, 02:47

View Posteagles123, on 2015-February-22, 02:34, said:

if anyone should move it's North - south has already shown their hand

South hasn't shown their hand at all. Presumably the reason for doubling with a slightly off-shape hand was because it is a balanced hand too strong to be shown by a 1NT overcall, and therefore to be shown by doubling and rebidding 1NT. Had this happened, ie had South rebid 1NT, North would have bid 3NT and now they are at the mercy of the opening lead.

Part of the problem is the weird suit-order choice that has been made by East.

On the auction as shown, 2D shows no extras but confirms four diamonds. 3D shows a little more, probably in terms of distibution. a 4351 12-count might bid that way.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#5 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-22, 03:23

View Postgordontd, on 2015-February-22, 02:47, said:

South hasn't shown their hand at all. Presumably the reason for doubling with a slightly off-shape hand was because it is a balanced hand too strong to be shown by a 1NT overcall, and therefore to be shown by doubling and rebidding 1NT. Had this happened, ie had South rebid 1NT, North would have bid 3NT and now they are at the mercy of the opening lead.

Part of the problem is the weird suit-order choice that has been made by East.

On the auction as shown, 2D shows no extras but confirms four diamonds. 3D shows a little more, probably in terms of distibution. a 4351 12-count might bid that way.

S should rebid either 1N or 2 if that's a really good diamond raise or 2 which is an even better one.

#6 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-22, 04:11

I am not sure if I would have raised to 2d with four diamonds and 12 points. But surely this south hand is too strong. In the n/b forum I would be ok with a direct raise to 3d. The more advanced choice is 2c. Such a cuebid shows a strong hand but think about it:
A flexible hand with less than four diamonds would have doubled again or bid nt.
With five or more spades he could have bid spades.
Maybe something like
akqx
x
axx
akqxx
would also bid 2c but realistically it is fair to assume that 2c shows diamond support.
2h would be a natural bid though imho. This is subtle though, especially when opps play short minor suit openings there are situations in which it would be reasonable to play a bid in their minor as natural and a bid in their major as the cue.

So therefore I would have sympathy for a 3d bid which is not technically very bad and which doesn't confuse.

The 3d bid in your auction is wrong though. Having shown diamonds already the way to show the extra strength is to double 3c.

Now north has a maximum for his 1d bid so when south shows a good raise he will bid game. Probably 5d. 3n by North is extremely difficult to bid.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users