Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Relative Strength of Fields

#1 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-February-21, 14:05

Having been a BBO member for over 5 years, I've played a lot of free robodupes (but almost never more than 2 in a day, because I think it's rude to hog the limited number of available slots). Recently, I've also been playing a fair number of $0.25 robodupes. To my surprise, I score noticeably better on the $0.25 ones than on the free ones (both IMP and MP scoring methods). Has anyone else noticed a similar (or contradictory) pattern? I guess my conclusion is that the free games are frequented by a core of regulars, stronger than the $0.25 population, who know the trick to getting into the small free games.

Maybe BBO should randomize the start times of the free games and see if that allows more different players to get in.

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-February-21, 15:00

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-February-21, 14:05, said:

... the trick to getting into the small free games.
Yes, what is that trick? Just curious, not seriously interested in playing. But whenever I see them in the lists they are always filled up with 10.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-February-21, 16:08

From another recent thread:

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-January-20, 15:57, said:

View PostPovratnik, on 2015-January-20, 15:40, said:

Robot duplicate IMP, ran by BBO

Ten tables IMP tournament; at every table, one human and three bots. I have a very strong impression that tourney shows up in my list only AFTER it's filled. Are there anything I can do to make myself a chance to register?

Matchpoint [free robodupe] tournaments are 25 minutes after every hour, and IMP tourneys are at :45. Registration opens exactly 5 minutes prior to each tournament. Beginning 6 minutes prior to tournament time, get a list of the free tournaments, and refresh the list every few seconds until the one you want appears on the list. Register quickly, as they fill in less than a minute (sometimes in 15 seconds).

One regular, who apparently has this routine down to a science, has played 201 free robodupes in the past month. I've suggested several times that there should be a limit imposed, but BBO apparently doesn't think it's worthwhile.

#4 User is offline   babalu1997 

• Duchess of Malaprop
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:i am not interested

Posted 2015-March-02, 10:29

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-February-21, 15:00, said:

Yes, what is that trick? Just curious, not seriously interested in playing. But whenever I see them in the lists they are always filled up with 10.

there are a couple of tricks, like passing out a hand that does not give you a desirable contract.

if for example, you need 2 diamonds to win, and the bot bids an inverted 2 diamonds, just pass it.

View PostFree, on 2011-May-10, 03:57, said:

Babalu just wanted a shoulder to cry on, is that too much to ask for?

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-March-02, 11:49

View Postbabalu1997, on 2015-March-02, 10:29, said:

there are a couple of tricks, like passing out a hand that does not give you a desirable contract.

if for example, you need 2 diamonds to win, and the bot bids an inverted 2 diamonds, just pass it.

That's how to win Bridge Bingo. What does it have to do with getting an entry into a free tourney?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users