Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Standard of play

#1 User is offline   Geoff103 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-February-20, 08:25

I play in quite a few Express Automated tourneys. And as an ACOL player I try to adapt to playing mostly SAYC to fit in.

I'm beginning to wonder whether it's worth it. The standard of bidding and play is generally way below what I would expect as an intermediate. I see self-described 'Advanced' players play way below what I would consider beginner level.

Then results are skewed by the Robots who take the seats of players who disappear. Or games time out and Averages are awarded when on the cards left, it's obvious a contract is going to make or go down with a high score inevitable either way.

Has anyone else a similar experience?

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-February-20, 08:34

Yes. If you want decent bridge and don't have many friends on bbo, try to look for gold starred players on the speedball partnership desk, they usually require partner to pay their fee but $2 is a reasonable fee for 12 boards worth of what is usually reasonable standard bridge.

In the meantime, try to make friends with some good players so that you can play speedball and other decent tournaments with them. When you have 7 friends who are online at the same time you can even set up your own team match. Or just play with three friends in the main room.

You may also consider becoming a member of the IAC. They have generally a reasonable standard so even if you don't have any friends online there is a decent chance of getting some good bridge by sitting down at a random IAC table and see what happens. Or play in an IAC tournament.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-20, 09:19

View PostGeoff103, on 2015-February-20, 08:25, said:

I play in quite a few Express Automated tourneys. And as an ACOL player I try to adapt to playing mostly SAYC to fit in.

The rules of the Express Automated tournaments state that players are expected to play 2/1, not SAYC. This is primarily because 2/1 is the only system that the robots know. If you are deliberately playing SAYC instead, you are contributing to the randomness.

However, you should not expect the Express Automated tournaments to provide any reasonable level of bridge.

#4 User is offline   Geoff103 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-February-20, 09:24

View Posthelene_t, on 2015-February-20, 08:34, said:

Yes. If you want decent bridge and don't have many friends on bbo, try to look for gold starred players on the speedball partnership desk, they usually require partner to pay their fee but $2 is a reasonable fee for 12 boards worth of what is usually reasonable standard bridge.

In the meantime, try to make friends with some good players so that you can play speedball and other decent tournaments with them. When you have 7 friends who are online at the same time you can even set up your own team match. Or just play with three friends in the main room.

You may also consider becoming a member of the IAC. They have generally a reasonable standard so even if you don't have any friends online there is a decent chance of getting some good bridge by sitting down at a random IAC table and see what happens. Or play in an IAC tournament.

My only reason for playing in these at all, is that there are so few ACOL players around in the morning on Europe time. Have plenty of regulars to play against and partner in the afternoons and evenings. But, as I'm retired I occasionally would like some practice in the mornings and these appear to be only place to go. It's a shame really.

#5 User is offline   Geoff103 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-February-20, 09:27

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-February-20, 09:19, said:

The rules of the Express Automated tournaments state that players are expected to play 2/1, not SAYC. This is primarily because 2/1 is the only system that the robots know. If you are deliberately playing SAYC instead, you are contributing to the randomness.

However, you should not expect the Express Automated tournaments to provide any reasonable level of bridge.

I don't deliberately' play SAYC. Expressed myself poorly but try to take a quick peek at partner's profiles and avoid the obvious ACOL things like weak NT. Still doesn't alter the fact that the standard can be very poor. And with continuous misunderstandings, one's owen play goes down as well.

As I wrote to begin with, not sure they are worth playing at all.

#6 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-20, 10:32

There are several free club tournaments that run regularly where the standard is higher than in the Express tourneys, but still not great. These generally require registering for free membership on their websites (with usually a one-day delay in activation), where you can also see their schedules. These include BBO Fans, BBO Hornets, IBAA and probably a few others.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users