• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What did you cook today?

#41 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-March-26, 12:39

View Posthrothgar, on 2015-March-26, 11:18, said:

Looks good. I had never heard of dried limes before. can't wait to try them...

I don't know where you'd get them from, my dad got his from an Iranian deli, I found an oriental food supermarket on the web that stocks them near where my sister lives, but nobody in my town does.

#42 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-March-26, 12:42

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-March-26, 12:39, said:

I don't know where you'd get them from, my dad got his from an Iranian deli, I found an oriental food supermarket on the web that stocks them near where my sister lives, but nobody in my town does.

It seems you can get them by mail order.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#43 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-26, 18:07

That does look good. B-)

From the Wikipedia article on "fish sauce": Ketchup originated as a fish sauce from China. Worcestershire sauce is "a related product" because it is fermented and contains anchovies. Huh. Ain't the Internet fun? ;)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#44 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-March-26, 23:47

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-March-25, 22:32, said:

Ah, good point. I was too focused on the ham. B-)

Ham and parsley is no problem, for instance when we eat asparagus, we do so with cooked peeled potatoes, cooked ham, and a large amount of melted butter with lots of parsley swimming in it.

Hm... when does asparagus season start again? Shouldn't be too far off...
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#45 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2015-March-27, 00:17

I know nothing bout cooking but I love asparagus. the problem is grilling is .......not so hot results....and in general the quality of asp. is often poor very poor ....at my local stores
-------------

great thread

#46 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-08, 09:54

I cooked shrimp the Mark Bittman Way for dinner a few nights ago. So easy ... so good.

For the amusement and edification of WC cooks, from Dwight Garner's review of Marco Pierre White's updated cookbook:

He resembled Jim Morrison, Sweeney Todd and Lord Byron. He wielded a cleaver the way Bruce Lee wielded nunchucks. He seemed as if he popped supermodels into his mouth like ortolans. (If the British tabloids are correct, he more or less did.)

His book began this way: “You’re buying ‘White Heat’ because you want to cook well? Because you want to cook Michelin stars? Forget it. Save your money. Go and buy a saucepan.”

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#47 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2015-April-08, 12:57

Baked chocolade roulade for Easter. Ate three pieces of it and also licked the dough bowl. As a concequence I spent half an hour on the toilet :(
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#48 User is offline   beatrix45 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Rubber bridge for money

Posted 2015-April-09, 00:32

An old fashioned dish from Charlestown, South Carolina. Shrimp and Grits.

1/4 lb sliced bacon
1/2 lb frozen shrimp - uncooked and unshelled - jumbo sized (21 to 24 per pound)
1/2 an onion chopped
a green pepper chopped
clove of garlic - chopped
butter
flour
milk or cream
hot sauce - to taste
grits or polenta

Cut bacon into pieces and fry until soft. Add onion, green pepper and garlic. Fry until bacon is crisp and onions begin to brown.

Pour off part of the liquid bacon fat and replace with butter. Saute thawed shrimp for a few moments (some fancy versions even leave the shells on). Add enough flour to make a roux. Cook until very light brown. Add milk or cream to make a smooth buttery sauce (also, hot sauce to taste) and cook on low heat until sauce is done and shrimp are cooked through.

Serve over freshly cooked grits or polenta.

You can make the dish a little more heart healthy (but not quite so tasty) by using milk and less fat. Don't completely leave out all the butter, though. It marries well with the grits/polenta.

If you thaw frozen shrimp in cold water in the sink, you can easily finish the whole dish in about 30 minutes start to finish.

Trixi

#49 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-21, 13:12

I've been teaching myself to cook Chinese food (i.e. real Chinese food not the stuff commonly labelled as such in Europe/USA) lately. Today I made this stir-fry beef with scallions:

http://www.foodparad...with-scallions/

If your soy sauce is as salty as mine, don't add any additional salt.

My favourite recipe I've made so far (check out the entire channel) is this chicken with cashew nuts:

https://www.youtube....h?v=a5y9V1Y1jjY
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#50 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-November-21, 17:20

I made roast beef with roasted potatoes, carrots and onions, pan-fried broccoli, creamed spinach and baked sweet potatoes. Neither of my dining companions cared for the creamed spinach. I liked it but it was too much work for one person.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#51 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2015-November-21, 17:33

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-November-21, 13:12, said:

I've been teaching myself to cook Chinese food (i.e. real Chinese food not the stuff commonly labelled as such in Europe/USA) lately. Today I made this stir-fry beef with scallions:

http://www.foodparad...with-scallions/

If your soy sauce is as salty as mine, don't add any additional salt.

My favourite recipe I've made so far (check out the entire channel) is this chicken with cashew nuts:

https://www.youtube....h?v=a5y9V1Y1jjY

I found the following book quite useful when I was trying to figure out Chinese cooking

http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/0393051773

<Looks like it is out of print and very expensive>

The following might be a better choice and it contains a lot of the recipes from both Land of Plenty and her book on Hunan

http://www.amazon.co...g/dp/0393089045
Alderaan delenda est

#52 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-21, 18:22

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-November-21, 13:12, said:

I've been teaching myself to cook Chinese food (i.e. real Chinese food not the stuff commonly labelled as such in Europe/USA) lately

I take exception to equation Chinese restaurants in the US with European ones. It really takes effort to find one in the US that is as bad as the typical one in Germany, for example.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#53 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-21, 19:16

Ah yes, Hunan, the land where they say "oh, those red chilis? They're just in there to give the food a little color." (In a dish that I found barely edible after scraping off all the chilis.) Almost every Chinese person will disagree with me, but I prefer the heartier (and less spicy) fare from northern China.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#54 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-November-21, 19:22

In Taipei many years ago, a shipmate of mine met a young local who had just graduated high school and was planning to attend UCLA in the fall. She took us to a local restaurant. Five story building, each floor a different Chinese cuisine. To this day I have no idea what we ate, but it was very good. :-)

BTW, my shipmate and I were the only roundeyes in the place.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#55 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2015-November-21, 19:25

View Postcherdano, on 2015-November-21, 18:22, said:

I take exception to equation Chinese restaurants in the US with European ones. It really takes effort to find one in the US that is as bad as the typical one in Germany, for example.

On the bright side, 30 odd years ago the Chinese restaurants in the US were horrible.

It took time for the Americans to figure out the the "real" Chinese food was better and more time for the Chinese cooks to figure out that the Americans would pay for something other than chop suey

If you're lucky, in 10 or 20 years you'll ahve good chinese food as well...
Alderaan delenda est

#56 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2015-November-29, 13:32

Andy Ricker's Lapp Meuang with a few substitutions.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#57 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2015-November-29, 14:04

View Posty66, on 2015-November-29, 13:32, said:

Andy Ricker's Lapp Meuang with a few substitutions.

I made that

Was quite good. I still have a quart of left over pig blood in the freezer
Alderaan delenda est

#58 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-01, 21:31

Heat vegetable oil on high heat in a non-stick pan until steaming. Add 3 stirred eggs. After a few seconds, as soon as it is firm enough, roll the egg up, flip the roll, and cut into bite-size pieces. Give it a quick stir and remove onto a plate.

Add some more oil to the pan, reduce to medium-high heat, stir-fry finely chopped ginger and garlic for about 10 seconds, add veggies (sliced spring onion, thin carrot strips, strips of cabbage). Stir-fry for a while, adding just a little bit of water if using cabbage. Once the water has evaporated, add pre-cooked rice (the rice should rest in the fridge for at least one day after cooking - when ready to make this dish, take it out, add some vegetable oil and stir well to get rid of any clumps). Stir-fry for another minute or two, add soy sauce and sesame oil to taste, mix it up, turn the heat off and put the eggs back in.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#59 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2016-February-03, 10:32

View Postmgoetze, on 2016-February-01, 21:31, said:

Heat vegetable oil on high heat in a non-stick pan until steaming. Add 3 stirred eggs. After a few seconds, as soon as it is firm enough, roll the egg up, flip the roll, and cut into bite-size pieces. Give it a quick stir and remove onto a plate.

Add some more oil to the pan, reduce to medium-high heat, stir-fry finely chopped ginger and garlic for about 10 seconds, add veggies (sliced spring onion, thin carrot strips, strips of cabbage). Stir-fry for a while, adding just a little bit of water if using cabbage. Once the water has evaporated, add pre-cooked rice (the rice should rest in the fridge for at least one day after cooking - when ready to make this dish, take it out, add some vegetable oil and stir well to get rid of any clumps). Stir-fry for another minute or two, add soy sauce and sesame oil to taste, mix it up, turn the heat off and put the eggs back in.

Variations on this are a fav in my house. Second your suggestion to use leftover rice.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users