• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What did you cook today?

#1 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-February-18, 17:39

Fry 250g minced beef in olive oil in a large frying pan, adding some pepper near the end.
Remove beef, reduce the heat, and add a little more oil if necessary.
Put 1 dried chili, 2 chopped onions, 2 chopped bell peppers, 50g chopped leek in the pan and fry.
Add 1 cup basmati rice and fry for a little bit longer.
Fill up the pan with 2 cups vegetable stock, 70g concentrated tomato paste, salt (unless your stock is already quite salty), curcuma and paprika powder. Stir well so that the tomato paste disolves.
Put a lid on the pan and let simmer on low heat for 10-15 minutes, until the rice has soaked up the liquid.
Put the beef back in at the end.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-18, 18:57

I made wonton soup and then went to the Women's Institute where we learned to make sushi rolls.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-19, 03:34

These recipes are extremely easy to make and taste excellent.

Tip: Add a little lime juice and fresh coriander

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#4 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-19, 05:03

I put oranges on the squeezer and got some juice. My plan for lunch is to boil water and put spaguetti on it for 7 minutes :P, but I will preparece the sauce a tiny bit, open a tuna can, squash it, add tomato and cheese.

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-February-19, 06:06

View PostFluffy, on 2015-February-19, 05:03, said:

I put oranges on the squeezer and got some juice. My plan for lunch is to boil water and put spaguetti on it for 7 minutes :P, but I will preparece the sauce a tiny bit, open a tuna can, squash it, add tomato and cheese.

I cook less than this unless you include use of a toaster and a microwave to steam vegetables.

Am trying to lose some weight and generally eat more healthily so my lunch will be granary toast, pickled herring, beetroot, bean salad and red peppers.

Odd fact (source an NHS dietitian) - Tuna has plenty of omega 3 acids in it, canned tuna has virtually none, something in the canning process removes them, this doesn't happen with other fish.

#6 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2015-February-19, 06:57

(Dinner party on the 28th which means I am trying to avoid cooking as much as possible before then)

Today's dinner will be leftover saag sarsoon and some trout...
Tomorrow's dinner will be leftover saag sarsoon and some trout...
Alderaan delenda est

#7 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2015-February-19, 07:05

Today is Tsagaan Sar, so in Mongolia, it's steamed buuz

for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

#8 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2015-February-19, 07:35

My wife is going to love this thread. Before we got married twenty years she took note of the fact that I knew how to cook. In the twenty years since then, she has taken note of the fact that I seldom do it anymore. I actually enjoy it but (here is my excuse) I was very much raised with the idea that the man's role in the kitchen is to stay the hell out of the way. I think Becky would not object at all if I were to get in the way a bit more.

Who knows where this could lead? Possibly Becky will later be reflecting on the need to be careful what we wish for.
Ken

#9 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2015-February-19, 07:51

Gosh13 is making sour milk. I put a frozen salmon steak on the pan. Oddly it tasted better than the same batch did when fresh. fizz brought a baby shrew from the field but only at a small part of it. Last time she buried it in the divan which had to go to the refuse as it was impossible to clean the smell out of it. This time I just had to wash a few blood stains from the bookshelf.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#10 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-19, 08:14

We cook salmon in a maple syrup and soy sauce marinade sometimes. Really delicious, and really easy too.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#11 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2015-February-19, 09:01

A favorite pasta dish of mine that is quite simple and quick: 4 tablespoons of olive oil, 4 cloves garlic crushed, and a 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes and some fresh basil. Cook the garlic on medium heat in the olive oil until the garlic is lightly browned, while a thin pasta (such as angel hair) is boiling in salted water to al dente. Reserve about 1/3 cup of the water used in cooking the pasta. Drain the pasta in a colander then add the pasta to the sauce over medium heat. Pour in the reserved water, toss, and heat for another minute or two over a medium heat.

Dish into pasta bowls, sprinkle with shredded basil. (Parmesian cheese can be sprinkled on top but is not necessary)
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#12 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-February-19, 11:56

Wonton soup pretty self-explanatory but here are directions:

You need pork mince (not a lot; 1/2 pound will make 20 or more wonton).
Add any or all of the following: garlic, ginger (paste or mashed well), soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, spring onions, chili oil, minced prawns, and anything else you want.

Put small balls of the meat mixture onto prepared wonton wrappers. Fold the wrappers so all of the corners come together. I keep a cup of water nearby to wet my fingers to make them stick better.

Boil soup (eg beef stock with water and soy sauce added, and spring onions, chili oil and/or anything else you want to add). Drop in wontons, pak choi (no need to cup up the leaves), plus sliced fish balls, or again, whatever you want.

Simmer for 5-10 minutes.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#13 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-19, 12:34

Posted Image
OK
bed

#14 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-February-19, 14:04

That looks good, jjbrr.

I tried something new today. I considered the experiment a failure, myself, however my girlfriend loved it, so I shall present it anyway:

Mix 150g Creme Fraiche, 200g Ajvar, 70g Tomato Paste, 100ml vegetable stock, chopped parsley and chives together to form a sauce.

Cook 300g pasta, fill into a baking form and mix with much of the sauce.

Cook 2 Chicories (AKA Belgian Endives) for 3 minutes, cut them into halves, remove the top part of the leaves and some of the strunk (unless you really like it bitter), and wrap each half in a large slice of cooked ham. Place on top of the pasta, cover with the rest of the sauce and as much cheese as you like (I used Gouda). Bake for 20-30mins at 200°C.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#15 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-February-19, 17:29

What is Ajvar?

#16 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-19, 18:56

Here is my favourite meal when I just have 10 minutes to cook for the two of us.

Cook fish in a microwave. Sounded disgusting when I first heard it, but it actually works superb. The trick is to add enough fluid - use any of lemon juice, orange juice, soy sauce, a bit of water, maybe some oil; the fish should be covered in it. Then just throw it in the microwave. The duration of course depends on how strong your microwave is, how much fluid you added, how big of a piece it is etc. so you may have to experiment a little bit. E.g. 3 min at 800W for 350g of salmon seems to work about right.

Add whatever sides you fancy.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#17 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-19, 18:58

Wow, never disagreed with Winson that much before.

View PostWinstonm, on 2015-February-19, 09:01, said:

A favorite pasta dish of mine that is quite simple and quick: 4 tablespoons of olive oil, 4 cloves garlic crushed, and a 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes and some fresh basil. Cook the garlic on medium heat in the olive oil until the garlic is lightly browned, while a thin pasta (such as angel hair) is boiling in salted water to al dente. Reserve about 1/3 cup of the water used in cooking the pasta. Drain the pasta in a colander then add the pasta to the sauce over medium heat. Pour in the reserved water, toss, and heat for another minute or two over a medium heat.

Dish into pasta bowls, sprinkle with shredded basil. (Parmesian cheese can be sprinkled on top but is not necessary)

Parmesan is necessary!
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#18 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-February-19, 19:28

View PostWinstonm, on 2015-February-19, 09:01, said:

I do something very similar - and I think Parmesan cheese is wasted on this dish. If I want cheese on my pasta I replace the oil and garlic with melted butter and Parmesan. A while back I made angel hair with oil, pancetta, and anchovies. My friend was leery ("Anchovies? Yuck!") but he admitted after he tried it that he liked it. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#19 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-21, 09:13

I cooked my most favourite American food today. Mac & Cheese. by Kraft!Posted Image
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#20 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-21, 12:16

I've had good luck making tomato sauce and a few other dishes using Bob Brinig's approach:

On his Tuesday day off from the Eccentric, Bob Brinig would get up about 2pm, have a drink go into the kitchen, maybe fry a few onions than return to the lounge and watch TV, then back to the kitchen many times over the course of the day, adding different ingredients to the meal, followed by a glass of his favourite sauce. By 10pm a great meal would emerge, sometimes completely different from what was "planned" at the beginning of the session.

I never met Bob but I think of this description often and I highly recommend his approach to cooking.

Baked, spatchcocked chicken is easy and reliable. My dog gets to eat the back (raw) which he loves.

We made 2 pans of lasagna in December that we froze and thawed out later for ease of cooking over the holidays. That's probably the smartest thing my wife and I have ever done in the kitchen. Probably not as good as jjbrr's lasagna but still quite memorable.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users