BBO Discussion Forums: Different formats for hand diagrams - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Different formats for hand diagrams

#1 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-February-17, 07:18

Why are the (at least) two different formats for hand diagrams? Below are two references to the same hand; the first is taken from bridgebase.com/myhands (from tournament 9710 on 2/16); for the second I was looking at my recent hands while running BBO and exported the hand to handviewer link and opened it from the tinyurl.

In both cases, simply to allow viewing, I've replaced the beginning with "{hv=" and added the closing info to the back.

In the first one, the South, West and North hands are defined and East is simply the cards that are left; in the second, all four hands are specified. This, and the general format of the coding, allows for easier manipulation in the second format, so that selected hands can be hidden, etc. I'm clearly not talking about the displays; they are the same. I'm talking about the codes, which I can see and others can see by hitting "Reply".

Why the two formats?

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-February-17, 11:22

LIN format allows the fourth hand to be left unspecified, but doesn't require it. There's no rhyme or reason for why any particular script does it one way or the other, it's just what the programmer happened to feel like doing at the time.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users