BBO Discussion Forums: MP decisions after a preempt - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

MP decisions after a preempt

Poll: MP decisions after a preempt (18 member(s) have cast votes)

first decision point, pass or raise

1. pass (18 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. 4H (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

second decision

1. pass (9 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. double (7 votes [38.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.89%

3. 4H (2 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

alternate auction

1. pass (13 votes [72.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 72.22%

2. double (5 votes [27.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.78%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-February-16, 18:48

MP you are vul, they are not.

For 2nd question assume you passed 3.

for 3rd question assume auction went like this instead:

#2 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2015-February-16, 19:57

I pass over 3; given the vulnerability partner should stretch over my direct double, so I stick by his decision. If they compete I decided to take the leap to 4, but I think double is more convenient. Had partner passed their immediate competition I'd double again.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-February-16, 20:15

View PostStephen Tu, on 2015-February-16, 18:48, said:

After (3) _X (_P) 3 (_P) ??: Pass = 10; 4 = 9
For 2nd question assume you passed 3.

for 3rd question assume auction went like this instead:
IMO
  • After _P (_P) 3 _X; (_P) 3 (_P) ??: Pass = 10. 4 = 9.
  • After _P (_P) 3 _X; (_P) 3 (_P) _P; (4) _P (_P) ??: 4 = 10. Pass = 9. Double = 8.
  • After _P (_P) 3 _X; (4) _P (_P) ??: Double = 10, Pass = 9.

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-17, 00:03

I would pass over 3 and dbl 4.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-17, 01:54

Why do you guys act differently in the two situations? They seem very similar to me. If anything the first is more favorable as at least we know diamonds isn't partners longest suit so we almost certainly have a major suit fit.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#6 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-17, 03:17

I'd be interested to see anything resmbling a rational reason for bidding again in any of these auctions. What on earth are you playing partner to have?

#7 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-17, 14:40

Well, I couldn't really find any clear reason to bid again. So I passed twice on the first auction at the table, I'm glad to see some good players duplicating my actions so I don't feel so bad.

As it turns out, 4H is a horrendous contract requiring multiple miracles, but it makes if you can guess whether the preemptor started with Tx of trumps or Txx of trumps, you need to pick up qj8x opposite A9xx for no losers. No one in the field was bidding it though, and most only made 3. But apparently a large chunk of the field doesn't preempt despite holding kq9xxx of clubs favorable 3rd chair, and managed to play 1nt (on a non club lead) or hearts at a lower level, so 4c matchpointed rather poorly.

4c-x goes down 2. I was wondering if I should double on the basis of "It looks like I likely have 3 cashers, probably partner will come up with something for a trick?" . But then again they could be making, and x -1 which is probably most likely may not swing that many MP. Should I double if they are vul? Then again they are supposed to be more careful when vul and be closer to making it.

Just unlucky? On a better day 3H is down and 4c swung them back to minus and it's enough for a good board?

#8 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-17, 15:07

View PostPhilKing, on 2015-February-17, 03:17, said:

I'd be interested to see anything resmbling a rational reason for bidding again in any of these auctions. What on earth are you playing partner to have?

You're hoping partner has a flat not complete pile that happens to be enough to beat 4 by 2 (if he bids you're unlikely to score well), say xxx, Kxxx, Qxxx, xx, on a good day is -2, most of the time is -1 and occasionally it makes, but often you weren't getting much for -130 anyway.

#9 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-17, 15:27

MP is a strange game indeed---At IMPS I will be passing all he time (after original x) but at
MP it is far too tempting to x 4c on the first auction. We know p has some stuff over there
since lho did not try 3n and apparently feels we can come close to making 3h. Since I had the
opportunity to pass 3h the second x should basically be promising book and hoping p can leave
it in. Too much risk to do this at IMPS but MP it is only 1 board and we might well gain quite a
few MP if the opps have gotten overboard. The second auction a follow up x just sounds like extra
power we do not have so we pass.

#10 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-February-17, 16:21

I think that the first decision is clear. At mps, there is zero reason to bid a thin game and any game rates to be thin with our hand.

On the second point, I wouldn't double 4 at imps, but the auction is unusual, in that most players faced with a double of partner's pre-empt will not pull that stunt of passing and then bidding 4. Thus, regardless of the merits of doing so on this hand, at mps, I expect the auction to have gone differently at most tables.

If we are being allowed to play 3 most of the time, I pretty much have to double, which has two ways to win and one (big) way to lose, and one way to break-even. If we beat it 2 tricks, we do very well. If partner has a super-max for 3 with a stiff club, he can pull maybe to a making game. Obviously we lose big if they make, and we break even if there is no or little difference between +50 and +100.

Otoh, if the field was bidding 4 immediately, then we are really at the mercy of what partner would do. I upvoted Timo's post, but would not double again if LHO had raised immediately and the auction came back to me. I don't think the sequences are at all identical, since on the second one, I have passed 3 and doubled the balance, which is more suggestive of defending than the last sequence.

Again, at imps, they get to play 4 anytime they want to, undoubled.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#11 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-February-17, 18:11

The first one is interesting, but if we give partner the expected 8 count I don't think we have a game. Furthermore, partner could have double 4 to show proof of life.

The 2nd one is a pretty easy pass. I do not see committing this hand to the four level opposite a partner show can't take a call.

Maybe there's a third auction to look at: p p 4 ?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#12 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-18, 02:43

Yeti and mikeh expressed my thoughts, I wanna play 4X at MPs, but I can't on the second auction.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users