• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ruben Advances

#1 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-February-16, 09:11

My partner and I have good ability to recognize and memorize systems and responses. I am wondering if the experts think Ruben Advances are worth adding to our system. Are they in common use amongst top-flight pairs. Are they ACBL GCC legal ? (We currently use a transfer lebensohl type scheme when partner does an overcall, but that is really neither here nor there). Thank you

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-February-16, 10:56

Ruben advances are GCC legal. Funny you can use transfers over overcalls but not after openings.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-February-16, 12:14

After (1x)-1y, I play that 2x through 2y-1 are transfers. For the intermediate suits, this basically just gives you two ways of bidding them for absolutely free, what's not to like? Would certainly recommend it.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#4 User is offline   foobar 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-16, 12:26

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-February-16, 12:14, said:

After (1x)-1y, I play that 2x through 2y-1 are transfers. For the intermediate suits, this basically just gives you two ways of bidding them for absolutely free, what's not to like? Would certainly recommend it.

+1 -- would also recommend transfers after an overcall and interceding X, i.e., after (1x) - 1y - (X), transfers starting with a XX through 2y-1. Alternatively, one could use the XX as Rosenkranz or something similar, but we preferred to use it as transfer.

One often ignored use case is the use of transfer advances after overcalls over a preempt. For example, after (2) - 2, 3 can be invite+ with (and potentially secondary side fit) and 3 can be a good raise.

Another obscure use case is using transfers over 1N - (3) starting with 3, with 3 as a transfer to 3N (3N natural and shows / denies stopper depending on your preferences)

#5 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2015-February-16, 13:20

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-February-16, 12:14, said:

We also play them, but only after a 1-level overcall. Higher levels are also possible but make some auctions too complex imo.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#6 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-17, 00:51

IME they are neither common nor rare in expert circles. I.e., a non-trivial minority of experts play them.

They are fairly straight forward to add in the context that mgoetze suggests (2x through 2y-1).

More meta rules that can help (at least as I frequently play them):

1. They are on anytime opponents continue bidding but don't take away any of the 2x through 2y-1 bids.
2. They are off anytime opponents continue to bid and take away any of those bids.
3. When advancer makes an advance in a new suit, original overcaller bids as if advancer had made an announced NF call of that suit (where completing the transfer means would have passed the NF call).
4. You can play at any level (so not just 2x through 2y-1). If original opener bid 1 and overcaller bid 2, now 2 through 3 (not counting NT which stays natural) are all transfers. Similarly a 2 weak opener followed by a 2 overcall allows 3 and 3 to be transfers too. This basically always works, although there is a potential loss if opener preempts 2M and overcaller bids 3 or 3/2 where the transfer cue is now above 3nt which may be suboptimal.

#7 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-February-17, 01:50

Also, be sure to agree with your partner what delayed support means, e.g. (1)-1-2; 2-2. For me, this sequence would be forcing, but I'm sure you can find people who think otherwise.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#8 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-17, 02:09

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-February-17, 01:50, said:

Also, be sure to agree with your partner what delayed support means, e.g. (1)-1-2; 2-2. For me, this sequence would be forcing, but I'm sure you can find people who think otherwise.

Definitely non-forcing for me and only promising Hx support, although highly invitational.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#9 User is offline   case_no_6 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-17, 10:11

View Poststeve2005, on 2015-February-16, 10:56, said:

Ruben advances are GCC legal. Funny you can use transfers over overcalls but not after openings.

Yes, transfer advances after overcalls are definitely GCC compliant.

But it is NOT a bit funny that the ACBL allows transfers when partner responds to overcalls but not when partner responds to an opening bid. It is SAD and PATHETIC. What is more, it is strong evidence that ACBL policies on convention use have much more to do with who advocates for a convention (e.g., if it is Jeff Rubens's pet convention, it is fine) rather than anything resembling logical consistency or concept familiarity.

Transfers are fine after 1NT openings and 2 level or higher openings, but not opening bids in a suit at the one level. Why is that ACBL? That rule is completely arbitrary, especially when virtually every ACBL tournament player uses transfers.

Transfers should either be 100% legal in ALL situations or prohibited completely. That is the only thing that makes any sense.

Megan
BBO username "Case_No_6"

#10 User is offline   wodahs 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-February-17, 15:27

We use transfers in any generic position where (1) three suits have been bid, and we've bid one of them (2) double is a legal call. Transfers begin with X. Notrump bids are natural. If partner has bid (the more common occurrence), transfers end with the suit below his. If partner has not bid, transfers end with the suit below my rebid.

When partner has bid, the first eligible position is the Snapdragon position, and you end up with a kind of Transfer Snapdragon. After say (1) 1 (1), then

X = transfer cuebid here, usually limit raise or better
1NT = natural
2 = diamonds
2 = constructive raise
2 = junk raise

You always get a 2nd raise, but depending on the suits involved, you might not get a transfer into the unbid suit. After (1) 1 (2), then

X = constructive raise
2 = junk raise

The second eligible position is the Support X spot, and you get a kind of Transfer Support X. After say 1 (P) 1 (1), then

X = clubs
1NT = natural
2 = transfer cuebid
2 = constructive raise
2 = junk raise

Here is the third position. I will stop here, but the positions keep going. After (1) 1 (P) 1; (2), then

X = diamond rebid (this is very powerful)
2 = better than minimum raise
2 = minimum raise

If partner has not bid, the structure looks like this. After 1 (1) P (1), then

X = clubs
2 = better than a minimum rebid
2 = minimum rebid

We also use transfers here (1) 1 (2), then

X = diamonds
2 = hearts
2 = constructive
2 = junk

To mitigate the loss of a responsive double here, we play Raptor and we double with most (54)xx hands, so partner is unlikely to have the unbid M.

#11 User is offline   evileyes 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-February-18, 09:06

Some other utilization:

(1) - 1 - (P) - 1N; (P) - ?

2=4+, weak 5S+ 5D or 5H+4D inv+.
2=4+, weak 5S+ 5D or 5S+ 4H inv+.
2=6+, inv+.
2=6+, to play.

#12 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-February-18, 09:22

View Postcase_no_6, on 2015-February-17, 10:11, said:

Yes, transfer advances after overcalls are definitely GCC compliant.

But it is NOT a bit funny that the ACBL allows transfers when partner responds to overcalls but not when partner responds to an opening bid. It is SAD and PATHETIC. What is more, it is strong evidence that ACBL policies on convention use have much more to do with who advocates for a convention (e.g., if it is Jeff Rubens's pet convention, it is fine) rather than anything resembling logical consistency or concept familiarity.

Transfers are fine after 1NT openings and 2 level or higher openings, but not opening bids in a suit at the one level. Why is that ACBL? That rule is completely arbitrary, especially when virtually every ACBL tournament player uses transfers.

Transfers should either be 100% legal in ALL situations or prohibited completely. That is the only thing that makes any sense.

Megan
BBO username "Case_No_6"

It is not SAD and PATHETIC. It just is. You don't have to agree with it. But it is just the way things are.

And it is not completely arbitrary. Since virtually 99% of the ACBL membership would be unfamiliar with dealing with transfer responses to opening bids, a judgment has been made not to allow them. I am sure that arguments have been presented to the ACBL Conventions Committee to allow transfer responses to overcalls, but to date they are not allowed. So deal with it.

I will say that the idea that transfer responses should either be allowed in all situations or in no situations is SAD and PATHETIC. For now, be happy that some transfer responses are allowed.

#13 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2015-February-18, 11:39

Oh dear, "it is just the way things are" is a SAD and PATHETIC argument...
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#14 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-18, 14:49

View PostArtK78, on 2015-February-18, 09:22, said:

It is not SAD and PATHETIC. It just is. You don't have to agree with it. But it is just the way things are.

And it is not completely arbitrary. Since virtually 99% of the ACBL membership would be unfamiliar with dealing with transfer responses to opening bids, a judgment has been made not to allow them. I am sure that arguments have been presented to the ACBL Conventions Committee to allow transfer responses to overcalls, but to date they are not allowed. So deal with it.

I will say that the idea that transfer responses should either be allowed in all situations or in no situations is SAD and PATHETIC. For now, be happy that some transfer responses are allowed.

SAD and PATHETIC is just an opinion of that rule. I think some other GCC rules are SAD and PATHETIC. Deal with that :P

As to your 99% unfamiliar with transfer responses to opening bids, I would guess the same percentage are unfamiliar with transfers after overcalls. Familiarity with a convention doesn't seem to be the reason for acceptance by that standard.

#15 User is offline   case_no_6 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-18, 17:08

View PostArtK78, on 2015-February-18, 09:22, said:

You should do your homework. Transfer responses are allowed according to the GCC in response to ALL opening bids except 1 of a suit. Open 1S. No transfers. Open 2S, go ahead and transfer.

Overcall 1H, no transfers. Overcall 1NT, go ahead and transfer. Familiarity is not a sound argument. Who is to say what I or anyone else is familiar with? Oh yeah, its the gods at the ACBL!

Case_No_6

#16 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-February-18, 18:18

Whatever you do, don't have a call to 'transfer' into 1 or 2NT. You have instantly wrong sided the contract with no real tangible gain. For instance, after 1c 1h x:

Xx - spades
1s - transfer to 2c, so a cue
1n - natural
2c - diamobds
2d - constructive raise
2h - junk raise
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#17 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-19, 04:23

View PostPhil, on 2015-February-18, 18:18, said:

Whatever you do, don't have a call to 'transfer' into 1 or 2NT. You have instantly wrong sided the contract with no real tangible gain.

We play transfers in many situations, ie "Ruben responses" as well as Ruben advances. The agreement is that in all cases either we transfer through NT (>NT, NT>, >) or round NT (>, NT=NT, >) depending on which of the opponents has shown more strength, ie put the opener on lead rather than the responder, or the overcaller on lead rather than the advancer.

So it is correct to transfer into NT if the person on your right is the stronger of the opponents.

#18 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2015-February-19, 05:36

The term is Rubens advances (after Jeff Rubens). I'm not a big spelling nazi but this has gone long enough, someone had to say something. Also, Michaels (Mike Michaels) cuebids, not Michael's.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#19 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-19, 16:51

For a GWNN you know other's very well :P

#20 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-19, 18:36

and I think 'lebensohl' is not supposed to be capitalized