Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Evidently i cheat because ...

#1 User is offline   runewell 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-February-15, 10:50

I opened this hand in an ACBL tourney (clearly announced as 10-12)

Tx
Tx
AJTxx
KQxx

Because in her mind 10-12 nt range was disallowed and bidding 1nt with two doubletons was cheating. She called the director over to the table but (unfortunately) one never arrived

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-February-15, 11:25

I would be more concerned about the lack of a director in an ACBL game than about the opinion of the opponent.

#3 User is offline   uday 

Posted 2015-February-15, 11:46

There was a TD.

The call was made at 2015-02-14 20:52:28 ( MST )
The TD (ACBL_19) responded and came to the table at 2015-02-14 20:52:49

This ought to have emitted a message to all the players along the lines of "TD is at the table"

Then the TD and the opp who called exchanged a few sentences and play continued.

It sounds like Runewell might have missed the 'TD has arrived' message ( or, of course, there was a glitch and it wasn't sent ).

The underlying issue was that an opp didn't notice the explanation, thus was calling the TD about a 11 point (presumed) strong NT.

U

#4 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-15, 13:21

View Postrunewell, on 2015-February-15, 10:50, said:

I opened this hand in an ACBL tourney (clearly announced as 10-12)

Tx
Tx
AJTxx
KQxx

Because in her mind 10-12 nt range was disallowed and bidding 1nt with two doubletons was cheating. She called the director over to the table but (unfortunately) one never arrived

Where in any of this was there any accusation of cheating?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#5 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-February-15, 14:53

10 pts is the minimum allowed 1N range in ACBLland. Yes two doubletons allowed too.

The penalty if your methods are to open lighter is your allowed no conventions; no Stayman, no transfers, No Gerber, No Blackwood. So seems unlikely you would want to go with no conventions, so would keep strength as 10+hcp. Which is too bad because a 9-11 range would be your average hand and opens up other system possibilities.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#6 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-16, 00:07

View Poststeve2005, on 2015-February-15, 14:53, said:

10 pts is the minimum allowed 1N range in ACBLland. Yes two doubletons allowed too.

Not quite. 10 pts is the minimum allowed 1N range over which you can play systems. If you are willing to play just natural you can agree to open 1nt as light as 8 (and obviously you can psyche 1nt on less than that).

#7 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-16, 08:29

View PostMbodell, on 2015-February-16, 00:07, said:

Not quite. 10 pts is the minimum allowed 1N range over which you can play systems. If you are willing to play just natural you can agree to open 1nt as light as 8 (and obviously you can psyche 1nt on less than that).

isn't that essentially what I said? no conventions allowed if use lighter!

#8 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-February-16, 10:01

View Poststeve2005, on 2015-February-16, 08:29, said:

isn't that essentially what I said? no conventions allowed if use lighter!
You mean you wanted him to actually read both paragraphs you wrote?

#9 User is offline   runewell 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-February-16, 15:21

Well I didn't realize the director had an exchange with this player so i stand corrected there. Nevertheless the accusations of cheating came to me after the hand (which was the last round of the tourney). I didn't mean to misstate anything, I'm just annoyed that's all

#10 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-February-16, 15:28

View Postrunewell, on 2015-February-16, 15:21, said:

Well I didn't realize the director had an exchange with this player so i stand corrected there. Nevertheless the accusations of cheating came to me after the hand (which was the last round of the tourney). I didn't mean to misstate anything, I'm just annoyed that's all

As well you should be.

#11 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-16, 16:16

View PostMbodell, on 2015-February-16, 00:07, said:

Natural is one thing but no Stayman makes sub 10 pt. 1N unplayable imho. No artificial escapes from X too.

#12 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-17, 00:55

View Poststeve2005, on 2015-February-16, 16:16, said:

Natural is one thing but no Stayman makes sub 10 pt. 1N unplayable imho. No artificial escapes from X too.

Sorry the second paragraph of your original post that I replied to was way to far from the definitive short sentence. I don't think the lack of stayman matters as much as the artificial escapes. At least for me, because I mostly want to use something like a 8-13 nt in 3rd when I know we don't have game - but the escapes would be needed.

#13 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-18, 07:47

View Postrunewell, on 2015-February-16, 15:21, said:

First of all you are sailing close to the wind of the forum ToS here as it is very simple for anyone to track down who you are talking about and they are not here to defend themselves. Secondly, if you feel you are receiving abuse from someone you can report it to abuse@bbo.com. Finally, the easiest thing is to mark such people as enemies; then you do not receive any messages they send you at all (unless you choose to change this setting).

And yes, there are some players that think anything non-GCC is cheating or indeed anything that is not SAYC or 2/1. Even more widespread is the idea that a pschic call or false card is cheating. There are equally players who think it is always ok to pause when playing a singleton or provide a running commentary on their bidding and/or card play. If such things bother you for any length of time then bridge might not be the most relaxing hobby for you!
(-: Zel :-)

#14 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-February-18, 09:17

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-February-18, 07:47, said:

... if you feel you are receiving abuse from someone you can report it to abuse@bbo.com.

Actually, it is abuse@bridgebase.com.

#15 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-18, 09:52

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-February-18, 07:47, said:

And yes, there are some players that think anything non-GCC is cheating or indeed anything that is not SAYC or 2/1. Even more widespread is the idea that a pschic call or false card is cheating. There are equally players who think it is always ok to pause when playing a singleton or provide a running commentary on their bidding and/or card play. If such things bother you for any length of time then bridge might not be the most relaxing hobby for you!

If you open your own table, you can boot those annoying players into the ether space. In a tournament, I guess you could keep complaining to the director until your opponents (or you) are disciplined. :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users