BBO Discussion Forums: Is winning this 4H straight forward? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is winning this 4H straight forward? - how do you play it?

#1 User is offline   nielsfoged 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-February-12, 17:55

Lead 4 (4th best)
You successfully finess with Q (RHO plays 2 showing and even number), and you continue with A discarding 2.
What do you play in trick 3, and how do you expect the continuation to be?

#2 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-February-12, 19:18

rho has a dia honor (hard to imagine choosing a speculative spade lead over a dia with AK)
and probably a little something extra but not much with 4 spades. So I am pretty much playing
lho for the heart A and the club Q.
trick 3 ruff a spade
trick 4 low heart toward the dummy and lets see what lho plays. I will generally play rho for
3 hearts if I have to guess. My intent is to play the top 2 clubs unless something about the
distribution convinces me otherwise.

#3 User is offline   nielsfoged 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-13, 05:14

View Postgszes, on 2015-February-12, 19:18, said:

rho has a dia honor (hard to imagine choosing a speculative spade lead over a dia with AK)
and probably a little something extra but not much with 4 spades. So I am pretty much playing
lho for the heart A and the club Q.
trick 3 ruff a spade
trick 4 low heart toward the dummy and lets see what lho plays. I will generally play rho for
3 hearts if I have to guess. My intent is to play the top 2 clubs unless something about the
distribution convinces me otherwise.

Your analysis of opponents hands is fine, but it seems that your trump holding in hand could become (almost?) too short. I believe there is a better card to be played in trick 3..., but maybe I am not right?
/Niels

#4 User is offline   Dinarius 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-13, 10:15

Diamond honours are almost certainly split.

I ruff a spade to clear them.

Then I play diamond 8 towards dummy.

D.

#5 User is offline   suokko 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:*dreaming*

Posted 2015-February-14, 06:02

Planing to ruff one spade and two diamonds and play clubs from top to end play Qxx to open trumps sounds like nice plan to avoid trump control issues. I would expect RHO to hold a balanced hand to only bid 2 (if they play 4 card majors I would reevaluate my thinking)

#6 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-February-16, 13:52

View Postsuokko, on 2015-February-14, 06:02, said:

Planing to ruff one spade and two diamonds and play clubs from top to end play Qxx to open trumps sounds like nice plan to avoid trump control issues.

So you come down to

with a defender on lead.

They just lead a spade, and you're in a worse position than if you'd just drawn trumps. For example, if you ruff in dummy and play a heart to the queen, you lose to a trump promotion when the hearts are Ax-Jx, which would be fairly embarrassing.

I would expect RHO to hold a balanced hand to only bid 2 (if they play 4 card majors I would reevaluate my thinking)

If RHO has a balanced hand, you're cold simply by ruffing a spade at trump two and playing a heart towards the king.

Presumably the objective is to make when LHO has AJx, without having to guess the club layout.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users