• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Madness? How bad is this bid?

#1 User is offline   ibraves 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-February-11, 18:01

MPs - Club night

Figuring I had one bid for my hand I thought the hand was worth a double. I appreciate it was v light and I was concerned that I had no quick tricks.

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-February-11, 18:11

It is of course light but it is not madness.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   masonbarge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-February-12, 00:04

View Postibraves, on 2015-February-11, 18:01, said:

MPs - Club night

Figuring I had one bid for my hand I thought the hand was worth a double. I appreciate it was v light and I was concerned that I had no quick tricks.

I don't know about you but if I doubled with that hand, it would turn out with my partner bidding up to 4S with something like

Qxxxx
xx
Ax
KQxx

And probably, an opponent holding AJxx in spades who is rude enough to double.

Gah, I had two straight 4H hands last night go down. The first KJ10x behind me (down 1), the second K10xxx (down 2).

#4 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-12, 04:53

Anything wrong with a simple 1D? Partner's less likely to go crazy over that.

ahydra

#5 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-12, 12:21

I don't like it, but it has some merit. Here's a hypothetical situation where it pays off:

Partner has
QJxxx
QJx
Kx
xxx

and third seat bids 3, preemptive (say 0-8, 5+ clubs).

Partner is likely to bid 3 over double but pass over 1.

If your opponents don't play preemptive raises (in competition) though, there is no reason to double.

#6 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-February-12, 12:31

View Postakwoo, on 2015-February-12, 12:21, said:

I don't like it, but it has some merit. Here's a hypothetical situation where it pays off:

Partner has
QJxxx
QJx
Kx
xxx

and third seat bids 3, preemptive (say 0-8, 5+ clubs).

Partner is likely to bid 3 over double but pass over 1.

If your opponents don't play preemptive raises (in competition) though, there is no reason to double.

My partners would tend to bid 4 on those cards. Still might be better than defending 3.

#7 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-12, 13:06

View Postmasonbarge, on 2015-February-12, 00:04, said:

I don't know about you but if I doubled with that hand, it would turn out with my partner bidding up to 4S with something like

Qxxxx
xx
Ax
KQxx

And probably, an opponent holding AJxx in spades who is rude enough to double.

Gah, I had two straight 4H hands last night go down. The first KJ10x behind me (down 1), the second K10xxx (down 2).

Overemphasizing negative outcomes is a common psychological phenomena. Try spending equal effort thinking up good things that could happen.

As for the double, I would not make it, but I have seen far, far worse. If my p did this, I might raise an eyebrow in the post mortem, but that's about it.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#8 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-February-13, 13:55

You have a clear double at MPs nonvulnerable. It's borderline vulnerable but not something I would worry about too much either way.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#9 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-February-13, 15:41

It's not complete madness, but it's not something I'd do very often.

If you bid on hands such as this one with any frequency, then you're broadening the definition of your TODs. At some point, that broadening poses a problem for your partner. For instance, what do you bid with this hand if partner makes a 2 cue showing a good hand? Would you also make that same bid with a similar TOD with say 12+ HCP and 2 QTs? If so, how can partner ever distinguish between the two holdings? If you propose different bids for this "light" double and a normal opening value TOD, then how do you accommodate even stronger TODS (16+) or strong overcalls (16+ and good suit) which also start with a double? Ultimately, it becomes difficult to distinguish between various holdings because of limited bidding space. Then, you will lose some accuracy on constructive auctions.

It may seem attractive to bid on hands like this one, especially when partner can find a call and you talk the opponents out of game or their best contract. However, that advantage may be short lived when partner drives to game with opening values and finds your hand too light. Or, partner fails to invite or bid game for fear you're bidding light only to find you with a full opening TOD.

That being said, an occasional tactical variance from normal is OK, especially at MPs. The idea is to keep the opponents from being completely sure of what you're doing -- as in, say, "xxxx always makes completely solid opening TODs." BUT be prepared to take the heat when it goes wrong ("Sorry, partner I got a bit rambunctious!") and don't do it often enough that it will affect how partner responds.

#10 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-February-13, 16:14

View Postrmnka447, on 2015-February-13, 15:41, said:

The idea is to keep the opponents from being completely sure of what you're doing

Wrong.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#11 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2015-February-18, 21:25

It's not complete madness, but it's not something I'd do very often.

If you bid on hands such as this one with any frequency, then you're broadening the definition of your TODs. At some point, that broadening poses a problem for your partner. For instance, what do you bid with this hand if partner makes a 2 ♣ cue showing a good hand? Would you also make that same bid with a similar TOD with say 12+ HCP and 2 QTs? If so, how can partner ever distinguish between the two holdings? If you propose different bids for this "light" double and a normal opening value TOD, then how do you accommodate even stronger TODS (16+) or strong overcalls (16+ and good suit) which also start with a double? Ultimately, it becomes difficult to distinguish between various holdings because of limited bidding space. Then, you will lose some accuracy on constructive auctions.

This sort of thing works a lot better if you dedicate a few bids to the task. Playing 1NT overcall as a light TKO (limited to a good 14), we dedicate X and 2NT to stronger hands - a small loss to let you compete more frequently on hands like the above.

If you don't split the ranges it becomes much harder.

#12 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-19, 05:16

It is Game All and second seat so everything points away from coming in right away but naturally it might work out well. For me both 1 and pass rank higher than double though.
(-: Zel :-)

#13 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-February-19, 05:58

View Postibraves, on 2015-February-11, 18:01, said:

MPs - Club night. Figuring I had one bid for my hand I thought the hand was worth a double. I appreciate it was v light and I was concerned that I had no quick tricks.
IMO 1 = 10. Pass = 9. Double = 8. Not mad :)

#14 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2015-February-19, 12:58

View Postnige1, on 2015-February-19, 05:58, said:

IMO 1 = 10. Pass = 9. Double = 8. Not mad :)

You're eights are usually quite mad... :P
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#15 User is offline   all loomis 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-March-01, 00:22

there are not enough bids for every hand where action might work. save x for those hands. 2d if you must.

#16 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-March-23, 12:45

I think doubling is likely to gain if the deal is a partscore fight, but partner is likely to not be able to take a joke and hang you by bidding game a lot of the time. Anything wrong with 1? It probably attracts the lead we want, and if partner does have a good hand with a major we will still find our fit. There's nothing stopping p from doubling after 1C - 1D - 3C.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users