• You cannot reply to this topic

Who's to Blame

#1 User is offline   masonbarge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-February-11, 13:05

Matchpoints

NS CC: 2/1, otherwise assume SAYC.

Clearly the bidding was less than stellar. Which bid(s) are incorrect, and which is the worst?

My partner and I almost never quibble about bidding, but we can't figure out who went more wrong here.

#2 User is offline   jvage 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-11, 13:49

Since I agree with all of Souths bids IMO North is clearly the one to blame. 2 is OK (depending a bit on how much responders twobid promise after interference, some would double). 3 is borderline (I think I would double, not penalty, but would love it if partner passed now). 4 is not only an overbid, it is IMO the second best overbid, 3 (or possibly 4clubs if you play that as choice of games, I don't) giving partner a choice looks better.

#3 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-February-11, 16:30

North's 2 is showing the full value of his hand. 3 is ok on values as a protective bid, but the wrong shape - double would give a better sense of 'ok diamonds and tolerance for spades'. 4 after partner's preferential limp is a new partner asking bid.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#4 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-11, 16:36

I feel the same way tbh - North should X 3C and pass 3H. He's not even playing teams!

ahydra

#5 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-February-11, 17:42

View Postmasonbarge, on 2015-February-11, 13:05, said:

Matchpoints

Clearly the bidding was less than stellar. Which bid(s) are incorrect, and which is the worst?
My partner and I almost never quibble about bidding, but we can't figure out who went more wrong here.
Agree that North is to blame. Over East's 3 raise, a competitive double might be better than 3. South had already failed to raise over East's 3. Over 3, South showed reluctant preference to 3, so 4 is unlikely to be the right level or strain. 3 would also be an overbid for North but might be acceptable at imps. At MPs, pass seems best.

#6 User is offline   karlson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-12, 01:50

Sure, north should double (and should also bid 3 over 3), but I'd bid 3 over 3 with the south hand.

#7 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-12, 04:33

View Postnige1, on 2015-February-11, 17:42, said:

Agree that North is to blame. Over East's 3 raise, a competitive double might be better than 3. South had already failed to raise over East's 3. Over 3, South showed reluctant preference to 3, so 4 is unlikely to be the right level or strain. 3 would also be an overbid for North but might be acceptable at imps. At MPs, pass seems best.

North hand is worth more than point count suggests. Vulnerable at IMPs I would want to be in 4.
A club lead is likely, which I would probably duck.
After that I like my chances in 4.

Rainer Herrmann

#8 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Football, Coaching, Family, Writing

Posted 2015-February-12, 05:00

NORTH TAKES THE HIT!
After the P, South's 3 is clearly competing and not showing extra values. Exactly what added worth does S find to bid game?

#9 User is offline   PLimprove 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-February-12, 05:28

First to say, north has no 3D to show good pts so north is a beginner.
But after north bid 3D south must see it as good hand to bid 3NT with a club stopper. If north does not think his hearts and diamonds are strong enough to get winners for 3NT he would bid 4S for safe contract.

#10 User is offline   Trump Echo 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-12, 06:20

If I had South's hand, I would value it with extra strength over a bare bones opening hand due to its hard values. I would therefore bid 3 Spades on the second round, a constructive and descriptive bid after partner's strong response.

South is to blame.

#11 User is offline   daffydoc 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-12, 07:00

Add me to the 3D bid which should now be GF which north does not have - dbl more flexible and leaves some options over, and 4h clearly the worst bid - 3S showing xx spades much better. daffydoc

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-12, 08:23

N does not have a gf hand, so to me 3 is a bad bid. But that does not take S off the hook. After 3 gf, he should have shown his 6 card spades imo. Then he can pass if pd bids 3 NT, he can pass if pd bids 4M, and can always correct it to 4 if pd bids 4.

But worst bid was 4 imho.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#13 User is offline   lowerline 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-12, 09:44

View Postmasonbarge, on 2015-February-11, 13:05, said:

Matchpoints

North's to blame: for his 3 bid (double is better because it shows 3 places to play) and for his raise of 3 to 4 (with a 3crd heart suit or with extras South would not have passed over 3)

S.

#14 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-12, 11:36

I go along with most others. S has made all the obvious bids, N's bids depend on agreements, but lacking these a double is better than 3D, which suggests a more two suited hand.

#15 User is offline   zillahandp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-12, 11:56

60/40 south north , south is worth a bid over 3c my pref x, but 3s not out of the way. I tkake p's bid of 3d as forcing for one round so 3s now is better tha simple pref. having said that p is worth 3s over 3hts just so sorry mate both of you you but more you just!

#16 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-February-12, 17:00

I only ask this because nobody else has NS are playing 2/1 so isn't 2 an overbid right off the bat before h,is later misbids
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#17 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-12, 18:11

View Poststeve2005, on 2015-February-12, 17:00, said:

I only ask this because nobody else has NS are playing 2/1 so isn't 2 an overbid right off the bat before h,is later misbids

2/1 gf does not apply after overcall. 2 was not a gf, it showed 5+ suit and apprx 10+ hcp (can do with 8-9 hcp and 6 card decent suit)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#18 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-12, 18:53

If 2h shows the full value of the north hand then north does not have another value to show.

If for you north has even more values then double seems much better than 3d.

3d must be gf and south has an easy 3s bid

wow north bid a lot on this deal.

fwiw with those spots in hearts I much prefer to start with double over 2c.
then over 3c north has a tough decision between double again or pass. South could have a much worse hand.

I do have to say on this thread and the other mP thread you guys bid a lot on very little :)

I kind feel old and a bit Al Roth maybeI should be wielding the old penalty axe more

#19 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-February-12, 19:00

View PostMrAce, on 2015-February-12, 18:11, said:

2/1 gf does not apply after overcall. 2 was not a gf, it showed 5+ suit and apprx 10+ hcp (can do with 8-9 hcp and 6 card decent suit)

doh
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#20 User is offline   jdgalt 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:Also a board game player (I'm "jdgalt" on BoardGameGeek, too).

Posted 2015-February-12, 21:31

South's calls were all correct. 3D is debatable but OK. 4H, though, is clearly wrong. 3H was strictly a preference and needs to be passed. 100% North to blame.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users